• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Problem with GPS puck plate

Dahitman44

Question

I bought the adapter plate to fit behind the unit and it does not work. It mounts, but can't shoot through the alum. edge on the windshield. Nice idea ... but I need my GPS to work all of the time.

Anyone else try this?

9 answers to this question

Really?

I dont think that will work -- I need access to my chips.

Computer not potato.

Hmmmm. I would think that it should work "under glass" as that aluminum strip isn't big enough to really block the signal. I put my H20 on the dash of my truck to let it get signal and then pull it back to a spot between the seats and it keeps working, so I don't think that little strip is the issue here. I'm assuming you tried leaving it wired up and then moved it around a bit without mounting it to the plate to see if it worked? Seems odd that it doesn't work there. Are you doing this in the garage? Just some suggestions.

If you are talking about the Cabela's puck adapter plate,..... Those things never really seem to work for anyone. I had one and used it one day. It's in my scrap metal pile now. If you search this site and many other fishing websites, you'll find that many have asked the same question.... and many have found that they simply do not work.

I have a 25HD that I tried it on. I think the unit actually blocks the signal, not your windshield - or anything else on you dash. I now have both or my pucks mounted on the bow of my boat - wide open. Never had a problem since.

I had one of those Cabelas plates for my Globalmap 3000 on my 4 wheeler and I also believe that the unit itself was blocking the signal. I no longer use the plate and purchased a separate puck for the wheeler and one for the boat. Mounted the boat one in the back and it works every time.

I got one and installed it Friday morning for an outing, and the puck wouldn't pick up a signal. Thankfully, I attached the quick connect attachment to the puck adapter so I could take the puck off quickly so I could lay it down away from the unit and I got a signal immediately. It does not work so I will return it.

I have one and mine usually works decent. But everynow and then it does get really screwy. So I don't know maybe I will have to do some changing of things on the boat to make it a little better.

Guys, while at Lowrance class this winter, the tech told us that they recommend that the external antennas be mounted a minimum of two to three feet from the units themselves. If they are closer they must be mounted with the antenna above the unit to avoid multiple signal interferance. While most of the time this will only cause poor performance, it is possible that in some cases, where the unit is continually locking-on and losing signal, this can burn out your antenna or unit over a period of time. Just some thoughts...

I agree -- I think that somehow it is the plate or the location of the puck that cam block it. Those plates are worthless.

Hit

BTW -- moved it to the "Gunrail" just in front of the windshield and it works great.