• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Invisible fence ?

ATM

Due to the fact that I got quotes to fence my back yard from 4.5k to 7k ,and 3.5k to do it my self I have been looking at the invivble fence option. Can anyone share any negative feed back or reasons not to go this route. My dog is a 5 year old pointer . The biggest draw back I see is while it will keep my dog in it wont keep dogs or people out. Any feed back would be appreciated. Adam.

I have the same concern, living in the country and not to fond of the idea of the strays coming into the yard with him while he's loose... Don't know how to get round that one either so I'll be quite curious to hear other responses...

I love my invisible fence. I am not in the country, and only have a 1/3 of an acre to fence.

I would suggest NOT getting an invisible fence for your 5 year old dog. I think it would just be too cruel to teach an old dog this new trick. The dog is used to being able to run through the what would be invisible fence, unlike a new puppy. I have no experience with teaching an old dog for an invisible fence, just my guess.

Quote:

Due to the fact that I got quotes to fence my back yard from 4.5k to 7k ,and 3.5k to do it my self I have been looking at the invivble fence option. Can anyone share any negative feed back or reasons not to go this route. My dog is a 5 year old pointer . The biggest draw back I see is while it will keep my dog in it wont keep dogs or people out. Any feed back would be appreciated. Adam.

You can use my machine!!!!! e-me at [email protected]

I don't have an invisble fence but two of my hunting buddies do and they both have unique stories. The first has a 100 lb black lab. The dog loves to roam. On the second day after the invisible fence was installed the dog figured out that he could back up and make a run past the fence any only get shocked for a brief moment. Basically the dog made the fence useless because he figured the short duration of pain was worth the ability to roam the neighborhood.

The other guy has an invisible fence and the dog would not cross it. When he took the dog hunting the dog would get out of the truck and follow my buddy for 20 yards and then sit down. He couldn't get her to move. He tried and tried to get her to move. He finally figured out that the dog associated the shock with his truck, which he always parked in his driveway. The truck was parked about 20 yards from the invisible fence line. It took many trips to a local park to play with dog and its favorite toy before the dog realized the shock wasn't associated with the truck.

Guys thanks for the replys, I have not decided yet if this is the route I want to take I have got some negative feedback from some co-workers so I may bite the bullet and do the fence. Adam

If your dogs are running through the fence on the second day then you are not training them properly. Just read the directions for one. I have had dogs take to the fence by the second or third day, but I don't leave them unsupervised for at least a week or until I am sure they know the boundaries and consequences.

If you suspect you have a bullheaded dog who will try to "grin and bear it", then I highly recommend a SportDog Fence since they are great and allow for variable intensity as well as give the dog an advanced vibration warning before the correction. I believe they give an audible tone as well. My GSP's never had a problem with the PetSafe units and I have installed and used them at four locations on three different dogs with good results. My dad had issues with his two year old lunkhead of a lab with his though. We used the same existing buried wire with a new SportDog Fence unit and have had no problems at all since.

If you guys have any questions let me know...

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

We've had the Invisible Fence here for a lot of years and for five different dogs. The only failure was with an old dog who crossed when the unit got accidentally unplugged. Training is the most important part of the fence system and the Invisible Fence company has great trainers. They took all the time needed to get it right. I think all the units are pretty much the same, including do it yourself units. The training makes the difference.

I have one, and recommend it HIGHLY...specially with a pup....Training is the key though, even on an older dog....

worth every penny to me, like I said, would do it again in a heartbeat!

My parents have invisible fencing for our two dogs at home. I think the key to it is the training you put in with your dog. If you just put it in the ground and slap the collar on the dog it won't work.

With our fence we were told the first week it is in the ground the dogs for the most part stay in the kennel all day. You let them out 2-3 times a day on the leash and work with them on their boundaries.

The second week the dogs can be out but only with you supervising them and still working with them on the boudaries a couple times a day. We were also told after you work the boundaries with them put them back in the kennel so they can process what they learned.

Then the third week if it has gone good all along they can be outside all day(or however long you want) unsupervised. The flags stay in the ground for about two weeks after the dogs are free roam, then we pulled every other one, leave it for a week, pull every other one, etc. It has worked really well for our dogs, they won't cross the line even if their favorite ball/retrieving dummy goes across. They will just lay down about 10feet from the line and look at the ball - look at me - repeat until I get it for them.

If you want any tips on how we trained our dogs let me know I would be happy to tell you how we did it. You can either post on here or email me at (Contact Us Please)yahoo.com

Lawdog's concern is a good one, because other dogs can get onto your property, but we haven't really had any problems with that, the neighbor's dog likes to come over and play but the 3 dogs all get along really well so it is okay.

Its not hard to train a dog to stay in at all. I had a freind that had a dog that figured out how to get zapped once and get out but two days after he figured that out i put my e-collar on him and zaped him untill her got back in the yard. He was one stubborn dog! it three cycles of that and he never left the yard again. he thought it would follow him anywhere outside of the yard. I love my e fence!

I am putting up an invisible fence -- I hope I am doing the right thing.

I bought the "No fence" radio controlled one by Pet safe. It was spendy, but one of the best investments I've ever made. The base unit is in the garage and the dog has the whole yard and then some as his range. I just wish I would have purchased this unit sooner. Oh well, live and learn.

I had invisible fence for a while. I am not going to debate about it, I liked it but remember that when in the country, if dogs get out....he cannot get back in. Invisible fence works both ways, so if your dog accidentally jumps it, he won't be able to get back home. It happened to me, I had to remove collar and get dog inside, then I got zapped while crossing since I was holding the collar crazy.gif

Invisible Fence is the way to go. I too had the problem of how to fence 2.5 acres for my two dogs. Over a year ago we had invisible fence installed for $1600 that included 2 collars all the equipment, training and installation. Those stories about how dogs go thru are bogus. TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING is the reason that happened. "My friends lab figured out how to go thru it the day after it was installed" HELLO TRAINING? The Trainers came out 3 time over a 2 week period. We were trained not to let our dogs alone unsupervised for the first month or so. I have had this for over 1 year it is Guaranteed to work as I can contest it does!! And yes there is a difference between the ones you buy in the store and the actual Invisible fence Brand.

DRH - sounds like you must have had someone similar to the guy my parents had put it in.

It is just like hunting, you wouldn't take your dog out to a field and expect him to quarter, flush, retrieve to hand etc. without any training would you? Invisible fencing is the exact same, you have to put in a little time with your friend to get them to respect it.

Quote:

I bought the "No fence" radio controlled one by Pet safe. It was spendy, but one of the best investments I've ever made. The base unit is in the garage and the dog has the whole yard and then some as his range. I just wish I would have purchased this unit sooner. Oh well, live and learn.

I to have he "no fence" invisible fence and like it. I live on 2.5 acres and the box plugs in right into the wall or center of your property and gives the dog a 180 feet of roaming which covers all of my yard perfectly. Just one note is to keep the extra batteries on hand and replace them imediatly when they go bad. Dog sometimes test the fence and don't think for one second they don't. Otherwise it has been perfect for me. Oh and they have them on sale for $249 at FF. I purchased my for $345 about two years ago. HIGHLY RECOMEND IT!!!! If it doesn't work keep the reciept and take it back.

later,

mr

We had installed an Invisible Fence brand last summer and the training they do was consistent and thorough. I had previously installed myself another brand with my first hunting dog and although I followed the training very well I don't think I did the job that the company who's name is on the sign and who's reputation is on the line did.

Did my first dog stay within the boundaries---yes, for the most part although she jumped it on occasion and used the snow banks as a ramp to avoid the shock during the winter. Now my young lab has jumped the new one a couple of times but she stays within pretty darn well and she is a jumper and could probably clear it in a heartbeat if she wanted to. On the other hand, we have a younger basset hound and they are renowned for following their nose regardless of the collar, etc.. Let me tell you that dog won't go near the fence regardless of who or what is on the other side.

They all work, but it is going to come down to cost, time to install yourself and time to train. Not a huge time investment in my opinion but in this case the consequences of failure are a bit different than a dropped bird on the retrieve or other hunting type of training versus running into the road, other dogs in heat for owners of males, etc.. I went with the professionals the second time around and would do so again but I also think we all are capable of doing this ourselves. Good luck.

So, the Petsafe model from FF works pretty well? How long do the batteries last? I also live on 2.5 acres and was wondering how it will do?

In the winter I can get about a month to two months on a battery. But warmer weather you can expect to get about 4-5months on a battery. Either way it will blink a red light on his collar to tell you when it needs replacing. I can't recomend it enough.

My neighbor did the inground electric fence and he's always got broken lines because of gophers and critters. This is the easiest solution with little effort and not be indept for ever.

Oh, one more tip. When I go to my in laws I bring the collar and box with and just plug it in a central location and I don't have to worry about him running away or needing chains or cables to keep him around. SLICK and pratical is what I like about it.

Good luck,

mr

You betcha. It's portable. The dog knows where the "Base unit" is. Then, when the collar beeps he knows to go towards the base unit.

I love it.

Hooked it up and tried this past weekend. Best investment I've made in a long time! wink.gif

• 2 months later...

How close to the buried wire before the dog gets zapped or warned. I know this may vary with different brands.

Is 5' from the kennel too close? I would like my dog to be able to go in and out of its kennel with the fence and collar on.

Nels

I'm not very familiar with these...which brand is "portable" and recommended?...any ideas on cost for 1 acre? I've got two old brittanys...but wouldn't mind looking into this with my next pup in a year or two.

I have the Pet-Safe fence. There is no wire to bury. There's a base unit you set where you want to and you can adjust the distance from the base unit. I think the max distance is 90' radius.

It's very portable. Let's say you go camping and you want to bring doggie with. Set the base unit on the picnic table and SHOW THE DOG THE BASE UNIT!!!! Then set the distance, and walk the dog around the perimeter a couple of times. They learn very quickly what the beeping means and will step inside the "Safe zone" as soon as they hear the beep.

They arn't cheap. I think I dropped about 300 dollars on mine this past spring. However, it's very much worth it in my opinion. I bought mine at Runnings. I believe they have them at Fleet Farm also.

Hope this helps.