• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electronics Security

1forwalleye

Question

I had a question about securing sonar or gps units to a boat. As expensive as this equipment is these days, I was wondering what others do to prevent theft? I just ordered a locking system that involves a stainless steel cable system. I know it can probably be cut but would make a thief work a little harder. It is a hassle to remove electronic equipment or to keep checking on boat whenever my boat is parked at a hotel, bait shop, restaurant, etc. Thanks for any comments.

7 answers to this question

well the only thing I can think or is removing them. All I have for depthfinder is an Fl-18 flasher so I usually pop that out of the bracket and store it in my locked truck along with the rods. If nothing else put your boat cover on and get a window seat If possible to keep an eye on your rig. Does anyone have any ideas for locking small transom mount trolling motors down??

I take all my electronics into the hotel room with me. If someone wants to steal your stuff in the parking lot they will. If you lock it in the truck then you just have missing stuff with a broken window. Just my opinion but for the 5 minutes it takes me to take off the depth finder and the trollng motor it well worth it to know the next morning I will still have it.

I take mine off and either secure them in the vehicle or bring them inside. I store them in two plastic pistol cases. The egg foam works to protect them from getting damaged. I think I paid about $10 for each.

Only safe thing is to take them off. I havent found 1 system that I couldnt have off a boat in a short amnount of time.

I purchased an aluminum briefcase style toolbox from Home Depot for $20 and that stores my X-15, Globalmap 3000 and my Garmin 320C, plus there is room for my handheld GPS if I bring it. That way I can carry all three and put them in a secure location.

Hmmm....

Lets think about this...I have at least 2k of electronic on the dash.....I havenever taken them off....I do cover the boat at night or at the hotel...on the other hand, I have over 8k of tackle in the boat...that comes out and gets locked up when out of town. there are way too many baits that have "history' on them to loose them ... I have great insurance and the electonics have no history. I can replace those tomorrow. But, woe to the knucklehead that I find under my boat cover in the middle of the night. He will suffer and learn lots of lessons and then we will call the law if at all.

Mark

Team Fishdog

I take my electronics off every time I trailer. I don't like them bouncing around on/in the boat so I have a small padded case for them all. It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to disconnect and store my bow, console, and gps units. No big deal to me.