• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slang names & nicknames for fish, gear

Weed Shark

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genegodawa

• Weed Shark

• BoxMN

• CrappieAttitude

"TBGB" = Tackle Box Grab Bag (when you tip over your tackle box and all the lures and hooks get all tangled up you just made a TBGB).

"Go Looooooong" (make a super long cast with your bobber and leave it sit for awhile far from the boat).

"Trash fish" (any fish besides the targeted species).

"little bandit" = "bait stealer"

"fightin' dehydration" = "parched" = need a beer

"runnin' dual" (operating two outboards on one rowboat, usually of two diff horsepower)

"using all the horses" (running the outboard throttle wide open)

"noodle rod" (a very flexible fishing rod)

"we need a doctor" (a deep, gut-hooked fish which probably won't make it)

and our very favorite is when somebody knows they are getting a bite and they are getting anxious to set the hook one of us will inevitably remind him of the fact not to let him get away so he had better "cross his eyes".

Small pike= Shwag pike

walleye= willy

Tulibee- Twizzler, Terwilliger

Pout= Mieseye

Sauger= sand pike

metro panfish= potato chips

Trout=Trouts

Largemouth Bass= Canal Shad, sport minnows (got this one from friends in Indiana that use bass for muskie bait)

Setting Hook= "Break his F#&$^@ Neck"

"dodgebobber" (like dodgeball, except you have to avoid getting struck in the chest by your bobber as it flies out of the lake toward the boat when you set the hook and miss)

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the one true and only the best one liner...............

"BOBBER DOWN" grin.gif

MR

When I was about three, I guess I had names for a couple of fish. I was too young to remember, but my brother reminded me when I got older.

I would call northerns vossfish; and walleyes were mugfish. Who knows whow the mind of a three year old works.

My father used to call crappies schmittbauers, and we still call them that to this day.

or the time my sister says to me "your bobber is gone" and I look out there and say back to her "that ain't my bobber" and she says "oh sh*t, it's mine" and ferociously tries to take in the slack and then set the hook. I never let her live that one down.

and another of our favorites "somebody's knockin'" (when you are getting nibbled to death)

and then there is "the ding-dong ditch" where they bob it once or twice pretty good but then don't come back.

setting the hook= "crossing their eyes"

catching a lot= "red a$$in' em"

fish on the graph= "stacked like cord wood"

bottle of Dr McGillicuddys= "Dr's in the house"

reaching into the cooler= "I'm buyin'"

Too many to remember, ask again the Monday after opener!

When fishing is hot and you are picking up fish after fish - Set the hook and declare "Its the biggest one yet" the size of the fish really dosen't matter

Quote:

[quoteBeers = Orange Whips
smile.gif
you remember where that is from of course
smile.gif

Could that have been from the classic "BLUES BROTHERS?"

Slap Shot smile.gif The Hansen brothers were always going for an "orange whip" which was some sort of soft drink, I think. Now it is always a beer for us, and many from the East Side still use it in bars. At least we do wink.gif

How about, "This one has shoulders!" - for a big fish fighting hard.

This is a great thread smile.gif

Quote:

If you need a beer, you are "parched." This can be expressed with a simple cough.

About the "cough": Properly executed, it should sound dry and merely hint of being a fake. A well trained fishing partner should flip you a beer from the cooler without speaking upon the first cough. Having to cough twice is sometimes neccessary, although very annoying.

How can no one mention the name for little pike with there being to options the first is calling them snakes and the second is picklers.

wallegator

yellow belly - bullhead

skunked - no fish

McSurf and Turf deluxe - minnow and crawler or leech combo

Tip up is down and bobber is up!

Don't Carl it up! - miss a fish (sorry to all the Carls out there)

We used to always say "Get Da Net" regardless of what size fish was hooked. It really gets old when you are hovering over a school of craps! Although it doesn't seem to get that old when I am the one saying it. grin.gifgrin.gif

CA

"Jumbo" is really only used to describe big Perch, no other species allowed. Even though, in all other aspects of life it applies to anything.

A "Slammer," I've been told, is a very large iron skillet used for shore lunch, emptied like a baseball bat against a tree trunk.

"Twin Beach" describes two equally sized, usually smaller motors on a row boat. This mainly only happens with impatient anglers on fly in fishing trips to large lakes.

Haven't seen anybody say

FISH ON

Of course this will age me a little but without fail the rest of the boat would state the last name of a gopher basketball player!!

LEONARD!!

We still do it to this day! cool.gif

I forgot to mention when bring in a big wood snag-timber muskie

When you make a perfect cast to a spot and are rewarded with a fish that you knew was going to be there. We call that a Curt Gowdy

"Beach-ball": An inappropriately large, round bobber.

"Wettin' a Line": Fishing.

"Show'em Who's Boss": Catch that fish.

we use the "shoulders" line too....and then they are usually a "basket fish" = a keeper

"death well" = livewell/cooler

"disco fishing" = fishing in a lightning storm

"swim through the hoop" = into the basket

and how often have you said "this one thinks he is bigger than he really is"

Quote:

"Beach-ball": An inappropriately large, round bobber.

"Wettin' a Line": Fishing.

"Show'em Who's Boss": Catch that fish.

Oh yeah!

Channel Marker = round red and white bobber of gargantuan size

"Cross their eyes" = set the hook

"Swing your purse at it" = poor hook set

A bass pro I was fishing with once told me, when I asked why he was hooking more fish than me, said my hook sets looked like I was "swinging my purse at the fish - gowd dangit, cross their eyes! Teach them who's boss!" After a day of fishing on Okeechobee his whole side of stomach was bruised and rugburned from where he was setting the hook with the end of rod against his body. Man, did he cross their eyes, and caught a ton of fish. Now I use some, well, big hooksets smile.gif Sometimes little bass shoot out of water, hehe.

Quote:

(censored) covers----sunfish

smile.gif For us that usually refers to little crappies as well!

More winter fishing, I guess. When using a multi-color flasher over school of fish;

"Lit up like a goll-dern Chrishmash tree!"

and I'm sure we've all used this one:

"It doesn't get any better than this"

and when it's about a million degrees on a bright, sunny day and the fish aren't biting:

"too hot to fish"

or when they are really biting well:

"screw the limit" which leads me to the one we came up with about 10 yrs ago when we hit the rockbass and my buddy and I sat there for 1 1/2 hrs and KEPT 189 because we thought the limit was 100:

"what's the limit on these - 100?"

and from the first time we drove all night long from Chi-town to Minn with "super coffee" = black coffee and a bunch of no-doze - we now do this annually

which leads to the next one from our fishing vacs during which we go from 9-6, then dinner, then 7-10, then cleaning 'em until about 1am ----> "sleep is overrated"

and who knows what a "poofy" minnow is? = dead as a doornail from the prior day usually, and when you stick a jig in them, they kind of explode and really stink badly.

and we also got one kinda like the "swing your purse at it" - when one guy really misses a good bite and we chide him with "way to go, Alice"

or this one from way back in my early days when I consistently got fooled and swore I had a bite and was telling my buddies I just missed a good one and they came up with, "yeah right, set the weeds"

or the one from a few yrs ago when I was really, really hungry and at our fish dinner in camp I ate 12 small northern, along with some trimmings, so now my buddy says about me: "my boy can eat alotta fish"

and we have this one from about 30 yrs ago on a trip that we had very, very good luck:

"poundage" = "putting meat on the table"

Here in SW Minnesota we use "Batter UP" quite often. Which means "grab the ore, I just hooked a bullhead!" Or as we often call "Iowawigin Walleye"

"Weed bite."

(usually muttered without eye contact when your partner gets that 'on point' look, trying to decide when to set the hook)