• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you think is going to be the kill them dead trick. The news said warm weather straight ahead. Hows that going to affect the bite compared to last year. I was planning on that 12' range with a slow crawl approach, but if it is going to warm up that much We may want to cover more water. Or do you guys think a basket full of snacks and a slip bobber would be the right thing?

Oh ya! I will have leaches to sell in a day so what bait to use. Warm=Crawlers somtimes! Could be a tuff choice but i'm sure the fish will tell me in no time. For once i would love to just nail it without even trying a differn't color ordepth.(that would take all the fun out of it)

i think i will be using all kinds of lures from my tackle box. but first thing i think i am going to try will be size #7 rattlin' raps. if that dont work ill goto shap raps and if that dont work i might try using some spinner rigs.

Cory- The water will be a tad cold yet for rattlin raps I think. Id go jigs and minnows or a three way rig and spinners. Pitch the jigs and slow hop/drag them in or vertical jig them. I guess a few guys get monsters every opener on raps but I hear its a real sLOWWWWW retrive. Where You going?? Im not sure what Im doing yet. Im gonna jig, and pull rigs for sure though.

I would imagine Elysian, Cannon & Madison will be the popular choices for opener. ???

Don't forget the lake with the worms in the eye's stomachs. I imagine there will be 1 or 2 boats there.

Scotch lake landing is the worst landing I know of. Muck and shallow.

What will the hot bait be? No brainier there. A chartreuse ¼ oz jig tipped with a fathead. Same as every year. Just go where all the boats are. That is what we call opening day.

Elysian will be a zoo and I think a majority of the locals will go there. I would imagine that most ppl from kato will go washington or madison...Washington is a zoo anyways dosent matter what time of day you go except a predawn darkess in the middle of the week in the middle of the season. Scotch will be crawlign again....Elysian and scotch are almost identical in composition, weed growth, fish size, ect. Personally I like to get away from the crowds...

In this part of the state, my first option would be deep Lindy Rigs and large minnows on a 2 - 4' snell. Slip bobber fishing would also be towards the top of the list as would draggin' jigs and minnows off the "first break" and pitchin' beetle spins and minnows to first vegetation.

Randy- i think im headed out to madison but first of all i need to make time to get the boat all put back together and make a few touch ups as well. i still need to get my motor outta storage and see if she runs. if she dont im SOL. idk what im going to use yet for sure tho. im stil debating on some things i might try.

Water temps will be plenty warm enough in this part of the state too get fish pulling cranks. I'll be on the water at midnight on Madison fishing lighted slips and minnows/leeches. I'll be back out saturday night tossing cranks and big plastics.

James, 53-56 degrees last night on Mad. A couple shallow, protected spots were even a bit warmer.

I am a fan of the short snells early and slow slow slow dragging them around. I have also done well with jigs set on the bottom tightening my line and waiting for a bump. But what bait will out produce most earlly minnows, crawlers, wink.gif leaches, or Gulp?

Fishing boy I think the raps work best in low light warm area's early but who knows what can happen.

I'll be starting with a 1/8oz jig & fathead or leech, but I won't be afraid to switch to a 3'-4' snell with minnow or leech either. Floating rigs certainly are not out of the question and crankbaits will be at the ready too.

Lots of options out there and I just can't limit myself to one presentation. smirk.gif My presentation will be moved along as fast as the fish are willing to bite. I can fish slow, but I like aggressive.

I'll be out, but may just hit a few shore spots at midnight. Then after a nice sleep I will get the boat out. Hopefully this will clear the accesses out a little! Last year that was my plan, but I couldn't even drive through the access lot on Madison (north). I don't know how anyone was able to get there rig through the mess.

Maybe we should paint parking stalls on the gravel lot?

Something like that should be done during the entire open water season and not just opening weekend. grin.gif The things we see at public landings...

I think it all depends on what kind of lake you start on. Is it mainly deep, shallow or half and half. If you want to hang on to winter tactics, fish a deep lake. If you want to cast crankbait and trol hit a shallow lake. Northern pike are shallow right know and easy to reach. If the lake has good weed growth early, crankbait and beatle spins for eyes in the weeds.

You'll most likly find me on a shallow lake that will be 2-3 week ahead of the deeper lakes in weed growth.

The access on Madison just east of the narrows (Dauks access as i know it) is not quite the cluster. Still busy, but better organized.

I do use that access alot. When we left the lake there Sat there was a bucket left there and it had dead fish in it we went to dump it out and it had dead ducks in it mad.gif! I bet the DNR would have loved to catch that guy.

Guy from school up here told me about a "secret spot" back in the woods in the ely area where guys were spearing walleye. Sure enough guts where everywhere...should a guy inform the dnr or is it too late?? confused.gif

i'd definatly inform them. That way they will keep a closer eye on that. Why would people stoop to such low levels and kill such a beautiful fish so maliciously.

3 hook harness, bottom bouncer then at nite long line rapalas!

thats a shame! i would do something about also. those are the best **** fish around!

Hey everyone, just wondering how busy Frances gets on the opener. I know it can be busy in the summer for fishing and recreation since its so close to town. I have never fished opener around the Mankato area and I may try it this year. Just want to find the right lake where you wont be able to jump from boat to boat. Also, does anybody know the water temp range on Frances at the moment?