• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tagged Sturgeon from the Excursion

Ralph Wiggum

I thought I would start a thread so we could share any info we receive about tagged sturgeon. I find that kind of thing extremely interesting.

sturgeonexcursion200706pa9.jpg

Here's the one I got. I received a report from the DNR this afternoon. Here's the data:

Originally tagged 4/17/2004 in Four Mile Bay at 28.1"

Caught 5/1/2004 in Four Mile Bay, not measured

Caught 4/21/2007 in Rainy River (mile 15) at 32.5"

Nothing too exciting, but neat, nontheless!

Who did you send the tag number to?

I have a few that I need to send in, but did not know where to send it.

Thanks grin.gif

Very nice information Ralph. I caught 3 tagged fish myself and can't wait for the information

For any tagged sturgeon caught in the Rainy River or Lake of the Woods contact:

Baudette Area Fisheries

204 Main Street East

Baudette, MN 56623

tel. 218 634 2522

For any tagged sturgeon caught in the St. Croix contact:

East Metro Area Fisheries Office

1200 Warner Road

St. Paul, MN 55106

tel. 651 772 7950

Our tag returns came back Monday at noon, but I've been late to upload them. It is tag number, tag date, tagging authority, original capture location, length at capture, date of recapture, length and approximate age at recapture, and location of capture. Pretty interesting stuff. Our boat got 5 tagged fish from 3 different tagging authorities. I caught a fish that is without a doubt older than me!

84442 5/4/2005 Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Lake of the Woods, Ontario Side, Fourmile Bay 45.2" 4/22/2007 48" & 20 years old Rainy River, mile 21

75590 5/9/2001 Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Lake of the Woods, Ontario Side, Fourmile Bay 43.7" 4/21/2007 48" & 20 years old Rainy River, mile 21

82460 4/28/2004 Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Lake of the Woods, Ontario Side, Fourmile Bay 41.8" 4/21/2007 48.5" & 21 years old Rainy River, mile 21

73316 7/27/2000 Adopt-A-Sturgeon Angler Rainy River, mile 16 51" 4/21/2007 55" & 28 years old Rainy River, mile 21

71778 ***********************Missing Tag Information****************************** 4/21/2007 46" & 18 years old Rainy River, mile 21

Thank you Scott for your time and information. Looking forward to all the other good stuff you might have for us. Hope to hear from you soon. Again thanks for sending the tag information in for all of us.

hmmm, only 4 inches in 3 years. Testament to catch and release I'd say.

I think we might of mis measured your fish Scott, Only 4.5 inches in 7 years. Hmmmm

They probably slow down quite a bit once they reach that size.

They are a very slowing growing fish. We weren't off by more than an inch or two.

BTW, check your snail mail in the next couple weeks. I know there are a couple things heading your way from Eric and myself.