• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well it's about time to start trying for some early season Cats....Does any one have the "down low" on the ramps in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks or water levels up this way? I would like to get over there and try it soon, by boat. Feel free to post what you know, I'm starting to get the Catfishing Itch again if you know what I mean.

I'm looking forward to another fun year fishing the Red River. Hopefully I'll make it over in the next couple of weeks??

Talk to ya'll later.

The ramps are all open and in great shape as of last weekend. Haven't been out yet but have heard reports of smaller cats. Water will be going up another foot or two by this weekend since they received alot of rain down south. Hope this helps you out. Good luck

Thanks for the info, Kent- I knew you'd have the scoop! BTW, what's this BS about you not being out yet? Get crackin'! I want to join in on the fun with the kitties up there this summer. I'll likely get up there in a few weeks when my life starts to calm down a little bit. I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest right now!

Thanks for the update, I was hoping to hear a "it's good to go" report! grin.gif I might give it a try this weekend if I can get over that way. As for the fishing, small kitties are fine with me, heck I might have to even keep a couple for the frying pan...mmm-mmm!

If I end up going I'll let ya'll know how I do. As of right now, it looks like the weather should be about perfect this coming weekend.

I won't be up that way for a month or so. Hopefully the river settles into some kind of "normal" pattern by then. Its really hard to get excited about fishing when the river is up & down & up & down with lots of current and lots of debris. Can't concentrate on the fishing when you are worried about floaters taking you out. blush.gif

I do have a good friend that favors a rising river for a good kitty bite.

Hanson, I missed you up at the Sturgeon Gathering. I looked for your boat, but I saw you were fishing up the river by Clementson on Saturday. By the way, how did your boat run on it's first outing of the season? Thankfully my boat fired up and ran like a champ!

I don't exactly like debris myself, but not so much due to the fear of hitting it with my boat. I can't stand being anchored in the river and having big frikin' logs floating into the anchor rope or hitting your fishing lines.

As long as it's not dangerously high water, it doesn't bother me too much.

Quote:

By the way, how did your boat run on it's first outing of the season?

How's this sound...

- I've got a lower unit gear lube leak. Its coming out of the lower plug so I'm going to get a new plug and seal for both the lower & upper, change the lube, and hope its fixed.

- Engine is starting a little rougher than last year. I believe my carbs need a good cleaning, and I may look at that this weekend. I was also running on a half tank of last years gas mixed with fresh so that might have had something to do with it as well.

- Bilge pump works great, but thats good since the boat leaks a wee bit. smile.gif

- Trailer lights don't work. They worked last year. confused.gif Gonna take a look this weekend as well.

Other than that, she runs great once the motor is running and warmed up. Still gets 30-31mph top end on the GPS with 2 guys and gear which is fast enough for me on the river.

What I'm really happy about is the Lowrance LMS-334c that I installed. I get a good GPS lock with it and that color depthfinder screen is amazing!

Its no RiverPro but will work quite well until I find the money for a 'Pro.

Awe, those are just normal "spring things". It's amazing what happens to your boat when it's just sitting there! It sounds like they should be pretty easy fixes.

As for the tail lights not working...My tail lights weren't working this spring either, so I bought some new LED tail lights for my trailer. I'll tell you what, they do cost a pretty penny, but if they last as long as they're supposed to...it's gonna be well worth the money to never replace my bulbs again or worry about my lights not working!

Trailer lights are working now. smile.gif

BOTH light bulbs were burnt out. It threw me a curve ball. smile.gif If one would have been burnt out, it would have been obvious but both were out so it looked like I had bigger problems.

While playing around, I also discovered the rear lights weren't getting good ground. I cleaned out the mounting holes of rust and paint with a round file and that helped big time.

Next step will be to replace all the lights with LEDs, but thats not a priority right now.

I hear ya. It's funny because 99% of the time it's a ground causing most of the headaches.

I didn't get over to the red to try any fishing this past weekend. I ended up taking my cousin Sturgeon fishing instead on the Rainy River. He caught one measuring 58" and weighing roughly 50-55lbs, so it was worth it...nice.

Anthony4.jpg

My wife said "I can't go fishing this coming weekend" because "we have spring cleaning to get done"! frown.gif

So it looks like it'll be at least a couple weeks before I get over there now. Who knows I might even be there on "opening weekend", since it's kind of a Circus anywhere you go anyways!

Anyone else been out fishing on the Red? If so, what's the latest report?