• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You're Too CLOSE!

Yeah, I agree that if you have been fishing for the past few years, you should have had one of these "close encounters." On shore or on land. On lakes or rivers. I recall fishing on the St. Croix on summer where these guys would cast right up to our boat. When we pulled up our anchor, we had raps, spoons, jigs, hooks and minnows... we had a stringer. It's all about respecting your fellow fishermen and their space.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SFBOY

• andrew chadwick

• MWard4400

• nofishfisherman

Quote:

Another trick to get people away from you is trim your motor up so it is just in the water and floor it. People don't like getting wet. Fishing takes a hit, but sometimes its worth it.

grin.gif

I was going to mention that exact thing. Nothing better than soaking everything in a boat........turning around and saying "oops i didn't realize you were so close!!" smirk.gif

That would be interesting, but i don't think the 6 horse johnson would get em, unless the were THAT close!

If your boat is catching fish, it is bound to happen. I was out on Mille lacs with the kids a few years ago, bobber fishing on the gravel bar, drifting and then back trolling, kids catch a couple of nice walleyes, Dad is baiting hooks, trying not to tangle lines in the trolling motor, and avoid other boats, suddenly my daughter says Dad look!!! There are about 8 boats trying to follow our path. PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! the kids were 8 and 4 years old,the boat was an old 14 foot alumacraft, do you really think we were experts???? The kids are now 23 and 19, and we still laugh about that day.

i love when people casting rapalas get tangled in my anchor. i just pull it up, cut their line and ride off with a new $5 lure. haha once my dad and i on the river had 2 guys get our anchor rope stuck in the same cast, and we made off with two nice new rapalas!!

On the opposite side of the topic and dealing w/ anchor ropes... Why do you need 150' of anchor rope on mille lacs? Last year we were trolling at night (as normal after some slip bobbers) and we were trying to stay away from every one. I couldn't believe it I got snagged w/my original floater. got to the darn snag and and saw a anchor rope laying at about a 10 deg angle into the water. pulled his anchor and grabbed my lure. It was very calm that night and if he needed that much rope to stay put I think he may need some more weight down there. and how do you drop that much rope and expectg to stay right on your spot? He amy not have been thrilled w/ me but I got my $5 #11 back.

Quote:

I have an opera CD on board and tend to play it. Why? People who like opera and fish (a very small minority) wouldn't crowd you in the first place. Those who hate opera and fish (almost everybody) won't even come close to the racket. For those who might care Wagner is a better deterrent than Verdi. Most times though I just move to find a another spot. I like exploring anyway and that gives me a reason to quit being lazy and go elsewhere.

Hehehe....Mark I figured I was about the only guy in the world with opera CDs in the boat. 'Bluebeard's Castle' usually chases them off...although I prefer Puccini... If you really want to get rid of unwanted company, blast 'Nixon in China' at them. That'll send anyone packing. "...yes, it is a great waaaalllll...."

At least some of the time when people crowd you it's ignorance - they don't know it's not ok. Sometimes though it's just plain stupidity and lack of courtesy. Always tough to know how to handle these situations. Sometimes I'll just say "do you realize what you just did?" You can usually tell by how people react whether they were honestly unaware that crowding is frowned on. They apologize and back off. When they just look at the floor and pretend they didn't hear you, you can be pretty sure they're just a rude jerk.

There are some creative solutions too. Years ago I was fishing with a guide I knew on the Mississippi down by Debuque, IA. It was during the spring walleye run and it was a zoo, but most boats were pretty respectful - take your place in the Conga line, stay out of people's way,and everyone's ok. Except for ONE boat run by a guy who'd apparently read that if you jig for walleyes, you HAD to backtroll back and forth. We dodged the guy and his two buddies for about half an hour, but with his back to us, watching his flasher he'd sometimes get so close we had to move our rods out of the way. When he finally bumped us, and didn't say a word of apology, my friend said "OK, time to no-neck 'em." So he started digging around in a rod locker for something... When they got close to us again, he said "act like nothing happened...and watch their heads..." I heard a lighter - figured he was just lighting up another smoke - then he tossed something in the water right next to their boat and immediately went back to jigging. 2 seconds later - BOOM - and a guyser of water shot about 3 feet in the air. All three guys jumped and hunched their backs so their heads went between their shoulder blades like turtles. Their necks just disappeared. Then they looked around like they'd been shot at, but we just kept jigging like nothing had happened. Later my friend showed me the bag of firecrackers he kept in the rod locker... Still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I also have a friend who's been known to carry a paintball gun in the boat. He'll let fly at the occasional jet skier. Won't aim at them but they get the message. I suggested that he put the paintballs in the freezer.

Sometimes though it just gets comical. Nearly every time my neighbor or I fish walleyes on the lake my cabin is on there's a guy who comes out and follows us around. He recognizes our boats (unfortunately mine tends to stick out) and he'll drive around the lake looking for us, then park right next to us. We call him 'bubble boy' because he's always right in our bubble trail wherever we go. Funny thing is, he gets close enough to tell if I had onions on my burger, much less see how I'm fishing....but he never catches a thing. I'll have been on a spot for an hour and caught nothing but walleyes, and he'll pull up and start catching rock bass right and left. I swear rock bass are attracted to his boat... Been going on for years.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

LOL - Bubble Boy - that rocks!

I'm relatively new to the boat scene and I'm in that 30-35 age group that was affectionately referred to previously here but I won't be "one of those guys" on open or hard water. I see it as common courtesy. Even in my short time fishing from boats I've had my share of frustration tho. If you see someone with the trolling motor down working a weed edge what would possess you to motor in and start working the same weed edge in front of them? Its not like I own the whole weed edge or anything but common courtesy would dictate that you glide in behind the first boat and go in line. I suppose these are the same people who gun it to the front of the lane after the "lane ends" sign to get in front of another 10 cars in traffic. And they are also the ones cutting in food lines at the state fair and stuff.

I like the opera idea and LOVE the firecracker idea. Almost everyone that comes in too close knows they are being a pain and won't look at you so throwing a firecracker their way is brilliant. As I recall M-60's have the waterproof wicks. Look's like I'll need to stock up...

The underwear thing is FUNNY!!! My dad is almost 70. His parents lived through the depression, so my dad is very tight with his money. I recall fishing the st.croix alot as a child, and whenever my father got snagged, off came all but his tighty whitey's... and in he'd go. It was not a pretty site. It was always extremely embarrassing. But he refused to lose a hook and sinker, they're expensive you know. Once in a while he'd come up with some old anchor or something, which, I suppose made it worth while. I'm not sure I want to see everything i'm snagged on.

As for the close boats. I do open water on Upper Red Lake every year, and despite the huge body of water and the fact that there is no descernable structure anywhere, they still stack up next to you.

I'll never forget taking my son and his two friends with. I had huge reservations as both of his friends are as close to the perfect definition of A.D.D. as there is.

We're anchored catching tons of fish... The boys are playing grab-(Contact Us Please) and the "picking" and teasing NEVER stops... I'm looking for some better alcohol and some ear plugs, and can't wait to get these boys out of the boat.

This other boat pulls in like half a cast from us, and anchors... The wind was blowing pretty hard, and they anchored on the down wind side of us... didn't give us many options, but we made the best of it. After about an hour, the "gentlemen" in the other boat yelled out very loud... "don't you guys EVER shut up"... it was priceless.

I couldn't quit laughing:

A) because I agreed with them

B) because I was thrilled they were annoyed.

My buddy has two methods. Bottle rockets which he doesnt hesitate to shoot at boaters and jet skiers who get too close (they'll never hurt anyone, but they're scary enough)... and when he doesnt have one of those. He takes off his lure, puts on a 2 ounce sinker, casts OVER the offending boat... reels back in, gives it a good yank about the time it gets close to the OTHER side of their boat. With a loud thud, it smacks up against the side of their boat, then clunks it's way through the interior of their boat, smacks the inside of the near side, then flips on into the water. If he loses it, oh well, it's just a sinker.

... well, unless of course it's my dad... then it's tightywhity time.

I am better now....lol (I got to fish yesterday.....no one pinched me out, I fished smarter)

I guess a flaming bag of poo is out...............

But maybe a super soaker!!!

If you have your kids with just tell them it's time to go swimming...let them have at it in the water...the other boats will be gone in no time. Of course you'll have to explain to them well before hand that it's only a ploy to scare boats away, and that when they leave it's time to crawl back in the boat and continue fishing.

Out on Medicine with the wife and two grandkids for a nice swim in deeper water. I drop anchor and we start swimming when a couple guys in a bass boat drive up and start casting spinners near us (in our direction). They never casted TOO close but definately casting toward us. I figured they were jerks and wanted us off their spot, so we haul up and move a couple hundred yards and start swimming again. These creeps electric trolled over to us and started doing it again! With the kiddos in the boat I didn't want trouble, so we got in the boat, started the gas motor and slowly drove straight at 'em. Their heads dropped as we cruised up to and around their boat, but it was all I could do not to let the kids see the dark side of grampa.

Quote:

I guess a flaming bag of poo is out...............

But maybe a super soaker!!!

full of gassoline with a lighter taped to the front!

Quote:

On the opposite side of the topic and dealing w/ anchor ropes... Why do you need 150' of anchor rope on mille lacs? Last year we were trolling at night (as normal after some slip bobbers) and we were trying to stay away from every one. I couldn't believe it I got snagged w/my original floater. got to the darn snag and and saw a anchor rope laying at about a 10 deg angle into the water. pulled his anchor and grabbed my lure. It was very calm that night and if he needed that much rope to stay put I think he may need some more weight down there. and how do you drop that much rope and expectg to stay right on your spot? He amy not have been thrilled w/ me but I got my $5 #11 back.

There is logic to this if you are vertical jigging. dropping an anchor often spooks fish. if you drop it and put out a bunch of line, it gets you away from the anchor.

sorry about the double post. blush.gif

This is my best To CLOSE encounter. Me and my brother were drift fishing on a lake and catching walleyes. It was windy and cool. we decided to go into a small shallow bay 4ft deep to eat lunch out of the wind. we put bobbers on and tossed our lines in. pretty soon some a boat goes by and sees us and pulls in and anchors 15ft from us. Few min. later another boat shows up and anchors close. In about half hours time we had 5 boats anchored all around us. Now here's the best part. when we got done eating we made a big show of pulling in our stringer of 8 walleyes when we pulled out. we went back out to the spot were were catching fish and had that area all to ourselfs for the rest of the time we were out there. when we left we went by that bay and 4 of them boats were still in there fishing.

Blackduck great lake first off. Ok so me and my family go and stay at melgeorges resort on elepahnt right down the road from blackduck which my uncle has a cabin on. so usually we fish elephant during the day and go to black duck during the evening and anchor a litle ways out from my unlce's dock and fish. Its about 9;30-10 pm and we are bobber fishing with LIGHTED BOBBERS and all of a sudden here comes this jack (Contact Us Please) right between our boat and the dock right through our (Contact Us Please) lines, now either this guy was mental or just a genuine jack (Contact Us Please).

Quote:

I know this does not help much but the USCG says you should have 7' of rope for every 1' of depth. 20' of water 140' of rope. I suspect he just did not want to drop anchor were he was going to fish so he did not scare the fish.

Was up on Lake Of The Woods a few years back. We threw a buoy marker out. We were fishing close to it. Another boat comes in, drifts literally over the marker, gets snagged on the bouy line, has the guts to pull it up, cut the line to release his hook and takes off like nothing happened. (Contact Us Please)?!?!

This behavior just infuriates me. You have how many THOUSANDS of acres of water, and you have to fish that close? Unbelievable.

And the funny part, is that this is the same type of fisherman who would go into shore, and brag about how they worked hard to find em and really got into em..

Come on people, BACK OFF, there is plenty of room for all, no need to do this to a fellow fishermn, have some respect! Or find another spot, after all YOU ARE NOT The only one on the water! It is all about sharing out there! What a way to riun a good trip for someone!

It isn't just fishing, either! People are becoming more and more rude as the years go. I plow the State's highways in the north Minneapolis area, and I have to tell you that about 75 percent of the people have either a (Contact Us Please) chip, an a-hole chip, or both. I can't believe the choices people make when it comes to trying to get past a plow and how close they follow or sit beside us! Also, I have noticed how rude people are about cutting into lines, and without any type care for anybody else. I think that parents need to get back to disciplining their kids. I see TOO many parents who let their kids get away with poor and rotten behavior with a weak little whisper of "you shouldn't do that". What the hell does that do??? When I was being a little s*it in a restaurant when I was a kid, my dad or mom would literally drag me outside and crack me in the keister, or haul the whole family home to teach us all a lesson. It bred RESPECT! Now, I go to a restaurant and parents let their spoiled little brats cry and throw tantrums and do whatever it takes to cater to them so they get their way WITHOUT REGARD THAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLACE would like to enjoy their meal in relative peace and quiet! It is all about RESPECT, and that is not getting instilled into our youth. It goes back to the '70s with the whole new "enlightened" style of parenting. Now we have a bunch of rude punks everywhere you go, no matter what you are doing. There are a bunch of rays of hope out there, but the meatheads, unfortunately, are the norm. Good luck to us all.

next time a boat crowds you tie on a daredevil and cast directly over one of their poles and slowly crank it in and if your lucky enough to reel it all the way to his rod give it a mighty jerk and watch his pole become dislodged from his hand and into the lake. Maybe it will be a $300.00 set up and perhaps those idots who crowded you will no longer crowd anyone.

About 6 years ago on Lake of the Woods my father, my brother-in-law and I were fishing a rockpile and drifting across it.

Not long after we were out there a boat comes in and motors past us about 150 yards away. No big deal everyone has the right to fish where they want.

He begins back-trolling and after about 5 minutes we look back and he is literally 2 feet from the back of our boat. He is an older gentleman probably in his 70's he is fishing with two other guys in his boat. He proceeds to say "You have to look out for other boats." Now correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a boat that is under power have to give way to a boat that is not(as we were drifting and he was backtrolling)?

It was all we could do to not tangle our lines in his motor and with his lines. I was shocked. I had never saw my dad so upset, but he didn't say anything. I think he was more shocked than anything else. Instead of getting angry we just moved over a bit and started drifting again.

There was another boat on this reef fishing(drifting as well). And this guys proceeds to do the same thing to him. Unbelievable!!! The other guy didn't take it as well as we did. This guy acted like he owned that reef and the lake for that matter. What a jerk!!!

My marker bouy story:

Almost 20 years ago, I took a couple of guys out to Medicine Lake to try sell my dad's boat. There was 1 boat working someone else's marker bouys. One of the potential buyers was a Wright County Sheriff. The Sheriff leaned back, pointed to the other boat, and said the bouys were where body parts had been found. It seems a husband tried to get rid of his wife in the garbage disposal. When that didn't work, he wraped her in garbage bags and dumped them in the lake. Not all bouys mark fish!!

Two summers ago at my parents lake home (which is more than 50 miles away from the cities) my family and I were swimming off the dock and two guys in a boat trolled between my wife and I and the dock pulling rapalas. Lucky my kids were sitting on the dock and not in the water. I kindly asked them to stop the boat so we could get out of the way of there rapalas and they would not even respond to me.

The good thing is that nobody got hooked. But I am still amazed that they would not even respond to me.

Can you imagine somebody setting the hook on a rapala in your leg or arm.

I like how Spring Lake was mentioned. Fishing789, I recall a discussion on a forum with you last year where I disagreed with you b/c a guy was asking for some help targeting crappie on Spring and you told him to go where all the other boats are!?!?!

Hey Young, as far as the anchor thing goes. I just picked up a Digger anchor and the instructions say let out a 5-1 ratio... 10' deep means 50' of line. If you are fishing 30' of water, 150' is the "recommended" amount of rope.

Bottom line is, deal with it. People are not going to respect any distance from you, especially in the metro area and especially if you are catching fish.

unfortunately, i guess there are people who find boorish behaivior acceptable and justify hyena like fishing skills. great way to find fish with the minimal amount of effort... get out the spotting scope, and fly in as fast as possible once you have found someone catching something. "hey son, remember that show on animal planet where the cheetah caught that impala and then the loudmouth hyenas chased him off and stole his dinner? well, were gonna do that to same thing to that boat that just caught a crappie."

nice

unfortunately, i guess there are people who find boorish behaivior acceptable and justify hyena like fishing skills. great way to find fish with the minimal amount of effort... get out the spotting scope, and fly in as fast as possible once you have found someone catching something. "hey son, remember that show on animal planet where the cheetah caught that impala and then the loudmouth hyenas chased him off and stole his dinner? well, were gonna do that to same thing to that boat that just caught a crappie."

nice