• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You're Too CLOSE!

I am going to vent on the guy with his wife or girlfriend who pinched me out of my fishing spot on Sunday.

You have a relatively new Crestliner open boat with 150 Opti, single counsel. your boat looked new ....without numbers yet.

My boat is a Black/Beach Lund 1850 Tyee GS 175 Evenrude with 9 hp kicker.

Wayzata bay about 1:30

I was the ONLY boat within 500 yards of the dock... I was working a small group of fish. You started out about 500 yards away with the other boats but made a bee line towards me when I made a mistake and let someone see me catch a fish. You long casted into the area I was fishing... you caught a fish.... the crappie you caught was nice.... about 10.5 to 11 inches.... that was all she wrote you never even hesitated to move in on me, At one time you were close enough that I could have poked you with my fishing rod ( 6 to 10 feet) Your wife told you, you were too close... so you moved..... about 30 feet, then you cut between me and the dock. You pinched me off of the area that I was fishing in. After about 1/2 hour I had enough.

I told your wife that you could have the area that you pretty much had me pinched off from it anyway. I also told you and your wife that you were "POOR Sportsman" your wife and you both herd what I said because you both were looking down inside the boat.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO CLAIM TO BE SPORTSMAN AND HAVE ABSOULTLY NO ETHEICS.

You come and anchor or start fishing so close that you restrict the fishing of the person who was there first or worse you cut them off as you did.

THAT WAS ABSOULTLY RUDE!

I know your type... and its all about you.. yep you're the 30 to 37 year old that everything has to be about you. and it was. Other people mean nothing to you as long as you are getting what you want.

For those of you that are 30 to 37 and are a class act I am truly sorry, I mean no offence.

For those of you that fit the above category of "all about me"...... lose it.... it is very unbecoming.

Those people that will be fishing this coming Saturday at the contest... fish with some class. If you are going to be 25 to 30 feet away from another boat or closer... have the courtesy to ask if the other boat would mind... you'll be surprised how many will say "sure... go ahead"... you have just shown class.

I am still ticked off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SFBOY

• andrew chadwick

• MWard4400

• nofishfisherman

I had one like that last year on the river, I was on a drift on the right side, 2 guys were fishing the left side, when I got almost across river from them they hurried up and got right in the path of my drift, within 75 feet and fished the spot I was drifting to, glad they got over to the side a little, it would have been a shame if my boat would have accidentaly drifted into them. Well rigged john boat, jet, with a ton of decals for some fishing store. It ain't just the newbes that are jerks, they've set the rules for how I act to them in the future. They'll be back. wink.gif

I don't see why an age is included in your e-mail? There are poor sportsmen out there, regardless of age. Its sad to say it, but thats how it is.

try fishing the french river. you catch a looper and look up and 3 guys are with in actual TOUCHING distance. Im not exagerating. you could stick your elbow up and hit them in the nose. its rediculous.

Where to start on this topic...........so many cases.

this happened to my brother in law and I just this past sunday. my bro in law didnt say much, he's just like that, but I got pretty angry. The dude was in arms reach, couldve rubbed elbows with him. He was invading my "personal space", which is arms length all around you.

I didnt say anything to his face; you never know whos carrying a gun or a knife these days. but I did b*tch loud enough that he heard me. didnt matter cause he didnt understand a lick of english. So, being the bigger man I switched spots. If he's that desperate to catch fish that he's willing to come within 1 foot of me, then he can fish there. Ill just move. Im going to stop here cause this is one issue that really gets to me. I think if I wouldve talked to him face to face, I wouldve went off on him.

I agree with what was said on here, if youre going to do this, ask first. Youll be surprised at how nice some people are.

Within say 50 miles of the twin cities, the more popular lakes really get hit and one can't expect solitude, but you should be able to expect at least enough room to cast around your boat!

Thursday we were out on a lake west of the metro and we were hitting afew crappies. A boat spots us pulling in a double and squares a corner right towards us.

This dude pulls up with his swell outfit with the 600 horse motor and all the amenities on it and he and his babe get within 15 feet of our anchored boat.

My partner mentioned how close they were in a muted voice and I answered back in a very loud voice..."Yeah, next thing you know they'll throw the F'n anchor into our boat!"

I know they heard me, cause both of them went stiff as a board and their necks got real long! It didn't take them but a second to get the hint and move off aways.

Some people are like that, let someone else do the work and find the active fish and then they stake a claim to the bounty....then they act real indignent when someone gets an attitude at them.

It's not a bad thing joining the group once in awhile, we all do it now and then, but give the other group members a little consideration and some space, for crying out loud.

Honestly when I fish any lake within the metro I expect it. When it happens in Canada I get pissed but not on any lake within the metro. Now I fish mostly rivers and non-motorized lakes. It almost never happens on such waters.

Grebe, you are right, and over the years I have just come to expect that. I never go into a group, but if the group is a bit deeper than I want to be (early season) and I have to motor through them to get shallow, I will use electric anyway. And if somebody wants to come real close, I really don't care, as long as they don't obviously park over the spot I was throwing bobbers to.

I was in a boat with a buddy on mille Lacs opener once, and I could not believe how close those guys get on sucha big lake. I don't go there for opener anymore.

Also, it isn't always the weekend warriors who crowd you. I was on Whitefish Chain, on a very small hump, and a guide came barreling up, and within 15 yards of us, and acted like it was his personal spot. Heh. It takes all sorts.

Or when bass fishing a shoreline or docks, and another boat pulls up in front of you and goes THE SAME WAY! Heck, at least go the other way. But, on the busy lakes you just to be ready for it and ignore it, or move, or you will spend the whole day being ticked off.

Good topic, I am sure many people have learned from this, and maybe will be more cordial but also more considerate on the water.

BTW- if you go to Bald Eagle north end you really need to be patient these days wink.gif

It is crazy 'round here some times. Makes it so you can't even get a good hookset made w/o motors starting. My worst experience ever was on Winni 2 years ago. I made it up early before the rest of the group. Grandpa had a boat reserved for me at Beckers, the resort we stayed at, Got boat ready, got bait, and looked at the lake map w/ resort owner and was sent on my way. Made it out to the lake saw the point to fish, and rigged up 5' UL w/ jig and minnow wnd started my drift. BAM nailed nice keeper, Bam another. To give you a picture in your mind. Twenty some kid in rental boat w/ no electronics, pole, jigs, anchor and bait. W/ in less than 5 minutes I think I had the every boat on the lake around me. I knew my drift, had a couple points on shore to line up to know I was on course. THere were people so close it was like being on Pool 4 this month. I kept backtrolling in a straight line right trough the new comers to get to the top of the drift. I got bad looks, and I gave bads comments. So, it all worked out. Gramps, aunt and uncle find me later in the heart of the boats, ask me how I'm doing... I say awesome, then hold up my stringer, one short of my limit, and tell grandpa to hop in this boat or take some of my 'Eyes. All worked out but... EVERYBODY GIVE PEOPLE SOME SPACE, OR YOU MAY GET AN ACCIDENTAL RAPALA REALLY, REALLY CLOSE TO YOUR EAR.

AMEN brother. I used to muscle in on people until last summer when I turned 38. wink.gif Ok, I have never done that kind of thing. Believe me, its not limited to an age group. Had it happen many times ice fishing, and many times during the summer. Very frustrating. Not much different than finding someone in your tree stand opening morning. Nothing you can do about it, but shake your head and wonder what kind of parents raised such a jack@#$. I dont think it has anything to do with being a sportsman or not. These types of people most likely live their lives like this. Unfortunately, I dont think it will ever stop.

I also get really pissed when people hang around your marker buoys that you have thrown out. Not only the crowding, but taking advantage of your time spent locating a particular spot.

Some times when trolling, I feel like running right through their lines. The only negative thing about this is that I would need to spend extra time peeling line out of my prop. Maybe it would be worth it if they were trolling raps. grin.gif

I usually don't care anymore, cause there are just some stup!d a$$'s out there that you can't do anything about. What really really ticks me off is when they see me pound a few fish, they move in, cast a couple times no luck, sit down and blast off with their 250 horse leaving me holding for witts!!!!

Don't own a boat, so shorefish all the time. We were at a lake with a fishing dock, throwing in the limited space available from a dock, and a boat came from across the lake to drop a kid off at the fishing dock (railings all around, not far from the boat launch dock), and fished right over our baits. I was using a top water, so it was pretty obvious. Ticked me off pretty bad. Just because we are on the shore doesn't make us less important!

Two years ago we were fishing some sunfish that were about 10 yards off shore and we were probably 20 yards off anchored all by ourselves and wouldn't a boat comes and parks right between us and RIGHT where we were casting. So its us, about 5 feet in this boat so we couln't even cast towards shore. Needless to say words were exchanged, they blamed it on the wind for blowing them right into that spot. They decided to leave right about when my buddy was gonna said loudly to me that he was just going to jump in their boat and fish, and no he wasn't kidding.

Makes an hour drive out of the metro almost worthwhile.

not sure an hours drive would help. had that happen to us on Blackduck NE of ORR two years ago. Jerks live all over the place, there's just more down here.

that was a retired guy and his wife. was really tempting to strip down to my tighty whities and pull them up like a sumo wrestler, throw on a Village People CD, (if we had one), and fish.

If anyone tries this, let me know how it works. shocked.gif

Thats a great idea, I'll have to go buy myself a leopard print speedo that I can wear on all metro area lakes. That should keep the other boats away. Although the sun reflecting off my white legs would allow people to see me from 4 miles away.

Thank You, SFBOY! You actually made me laugh out loud! That is quite a visual you gave us there. I'd love to hear if you ever try it and what kind of reaction you get.

I'm still laughing!

this is when you start casting INTO the other boat, snagging their gear. pull out the muskie rod and start smashing lures right into the water within inches of their boat. It should give them a hint. If it doesnt then you might actualy have to hit them with you lure.

Just take off the treble hook of your biggest spoon and give it a cast. That way whenever we see a guy with a dent in his forehead the shape of a spoon we'll know what kind of guy he is.

Its the fishermans version of the scarlet letter.

Anyone who spends any amount of time on the water has had these encounters. I had a boat troll between me and the shore with only 20 yds, and me casting a 10" Suick. It was all I could do to stop myself from a little target practice. But this sort of behavior is to be expected. I go out in most weather, and rough conditions seem to keep these encounters to a minimum.

Fish on,

Nick

I have an opera CD on board and tend to play it. Why? People who like opera and fish (a very small minority) wouldn't crowd you in the first place. Those who hate opera and fish (almost everybody) won't even come close to the racket. For those who might care Wagner is a better deterrent than Verdi. Most times though I just move to find a another spot. I like exploring anyway and that gives me a reason to quit being lazy and go elsewhere.

I actually had a guy run into me last year up on Pelican. I have some Red paint on my white Lund thanks to this guy. Now that is too close. To make things worse it was a guide. His clients were so embarrassed that they asked to be returned to the dock. I know because I was "in" the boat with him. I got so mad I almost took a swing at the guy, but I held back knowing nothing good could come of it. It was also comforting that most likely he would get fired because of the clients complaints.

Another trick to get people away from you is trim your motor up so it is just in the water and floor it. People don't like getting wet. Fishing takes a hit, but sometimes its worth it.

IT HAPPENED TO ME 2 YEARS AGO ON OPENING DAY. I WAS FISHING SPRING LAKE NEAR SHAKOPEE. I HAD THIS POINT ALL TO MYSELF. I HAD CAUGHT ONE WALLEYE. SOMEBODY MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING ME WITH BINOCULARS. CAUSE ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS GUY COMES ROARING UP FULL SPEED AND MANAGES TO PARK NOT 10 YARDS OFF THE SIDE OF MY BOAT. THE GUY STARTS CASTING HIS LINE IN FRONT OF ME,CUTTING ME OFF. HE PROCEEDS TO CATCH 4 WALLEYE IN ABOUT 2O MINUTES. THIS ISN'T ENOUGH HE CALLS HIS BUDDY ON THE RADIO WHO IS FISHING ON ANOTHER POINT TO COME ON OVER. THE NEXT THING I KNOW I HAVE 2 BOATS SWEEZING ME OUT OF MY SPOT, BUT THATS NOT ENOUGH FOR THE FIRST GUY. HIS ANCHOR HAS SLIPPED, SO HE PULLS UP THE ANCHOR,AND STARTS UP HIS MOTOR AND STARTS GOING BACK AND FORTH TO GET BACK INTO HIS ORIGINAL POSTION, THEN HE TAKES THE ANCHOR AND HEAVES IT OVERBOARD LIKE A SHOTPUTTER GOING FOR DISTANCE HIS ANCHOR DID'T HOOK UP LIKE HE WANTED TO SO HE DOES IT AGAIN. I STANDING THERE LOOKING AT THIS GUY COMPLETELY STUNNED. I'M THINK TO MYSELF THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE A FISH AROUND FOR MILE AFTER ALL THE RACKET THIS GUY MADE. SO I LEFT.

Hilarious. That same trip up to Black Duck three years ago, there were two dudes with those goofy Australian bush hunting hats, you know, the really cool ones with one side flipped up. They were camping on an island that we were fishing by. They had the "Party Mix" all fired up on the CD player and kinda dancing around. Nothing like heading up north on a relatively remote lake and listening to Rod Stewart question if I wanted his body and thought he was sexy, and shortly later Michael Bolton inquires "How can we be lovers if we cant be friends?" My buddy and I darn near fell out of the boat laughing.

The ones that irritate me are the ones taking a boat ride around the lake. Most of the time these are your locals on the lake and most of the time they are retired. They always go in between you and the shoreline. They don't go around you even when it is evident that I am casting towards the shoreline. When there is not enough room between me and the shoreline they go around causing large wakes because they are so close. I had a local come across the lake one morning in his pontoon and stops in front of me and asks me how the bite was. He then proceeds to go thru the area that I was casting in. Nothing like buzz killing an area when I was catching fish.

Yeah, nothing like people blaring their music right next to you. Last year I was shorefishing the snake river just outside of pine city and these 3 kids, could'nt have been any older than 14 years old, had their rap music going, and they were swearing left and right...F this and F that...totally pretending to be thugs. It was annoying, but at the same time I couldn't help but laugh. I live in a bad neighborhood in st. paul and I just wanted to take them down there and drop them off and see how long they would've lasted.

I run into a few crazy muskie anglers (er.. not they are ALL crazy..).. I've had times where I was anchored for a long time, yet I must be in 'their' spot since as they buzz into the area and start to troll around.. as get closer, they start casting 10-20ft off my bow! And I was there first and quietly finesse fishing for bass! This happens most often off the tip of the island on WBL.