• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gun safety?

findergameandfish

Thought I had heard that some places you can go for a weekend and get your safety course taken anyone else hear this? And if so where can I get some info?

You can also take it online and find a certified person to accompany you on the shooting (qualification shoot) or go to the range with a class for your qualification.

Had a gentleman join my daughters class for the shoot this past weekend. He told me that he spent about 4 hours going over the work that you have to do on the online class. A little FYI, it was 20 class hours for my daughter and about 2 or 3 working on the worksheets.

The MN DNR website as all of the info.

DL

I am not a big fan of this unless you have been hunting for years and need the course to hunt out of state (different states have different birth year requirements for hunter safety).

The 6 classes of 2.5 - 3 hours was a good experience for my son. Reduntancy can not be overstated.

I sat through 3 of the 6 classes and enjoyed my time in the class. I was able to add a few comments to the class and learn / relearn a few things.

What it really made me aware of - is how can anybody start hunting without a parent, grandparent, or good friend helping you along. So many rules, and rules made from other rules that ... confused.gif a younger hunter must sort out.

anyway here is the dnr info gleened from their web page:

Requirements

Certification is available to students 18 years of age and older. DNR Firearms Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979

Must successfully complete one of the methods of certification. (see classes below.)

You can receive your certification by completing one of the following methods:

Independent Study on-line course. Please see the procedures for completing the on-line course. Independent Study guide and workbook available from a volunteer instructor. Complete a traditional classroom course. Check the list of currently scheduled classes. Complete an 18-hour (6 session) Advanced Hunter Education seminar.

Independent Study for adults is offered to help the person who has a need for certification and has difficulty arranging participation in the traditional firearm safety course. This method is not a "short cut" to certification. Experience has shown that each of the options above will involve a similar amount of your time as if you were to attend the traditional firearms safety classroom course.