• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling Motor/Battery issues/wiring issues

Cabela10

Question

Alright, I've had an ongoing issue with one of the 3 or all of them that I mentioned in the title. I hooked up my 24-volt system this evening and when I tested the trolling motor, it worked, everything. I go back 3-4 hours later to rig all my rods for today, I give the trolling motor one more test, since I had this same issue last year and I wanted to make sure it was working properly, it just clicks when I push the propellor control, or whatever it's called. It's an electric powerdrive and it turns normal to the left but really super slow to the right. Last year, when it was doing the same thing, I brought it in to get tested, foot pedal and trolling motor, they both checked out perfect. So it's gotta be the wiring, I had a guy in Bloomington show/tell me how to hook it up, which a professional had already done once. I grounded everything, hooked up both batteries and it worked at the end of last year. It can't be the batteries because they are both taking care of, one is brand new and the other was bought at the end of last year, both deep cycle trojan batteres, 27 group. 27TMX.

When I got the boat out of storage, the wire ends in the battery location were full of blue chalky stuff and I rubbed all that all good before I installed them to the batteries.

I know I didn't explain this well, but I'm sorta steaming right now and my mind is racing on what to do or how to fix it before today at 10am.

Anyone know where the nearest junkyard is? I'd rather just scrap it all and start over. I need this issue fixed by next weekend for sure.

7 answers to this question

Hey Bobby: Do get both batteries load tested. If for some reason last years battery became discharged and froze, it could be shot. The new one, although improbable, could also be bad. If both batteries test fine, it has to be the wiring. Check your connection at your plug in. (where the trolling motor plugs into the boat. I've seen those become corroded. Also where that plug in ties into the wires going to the batteries is a trouble spot. They are usually those yellow insulated crimp connectors, and they get corroded inside. You may have to cut them out and redo the connections. To get at them and have a look just unscew the plug in and pull it out till you see the ends.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot this morning. I'm tempted to just run all new wires throughout the boat. It seems like I have a million wires running to my deep cycle batteries.

Let the fun begin.

Clean all conectors and re-tighten using a pliers to make sure all connections are tight.

It could be battery related also.

Always replace batterys in pairs.

Where are you located?

Connectors were all cleaned. The wingnuts were tightened hard. Batteries are in great shape. Located in South St. Paul.

I'm thinking it's the MinnKota Powerdrive itself. The wiring is perfect and it's still having this issue, the batteries are in top shape and no difference.

I'm thinking it's the bad electric drive foot pedal that I had to replace like 4 times in the 3 years I owned it. I'm thinking of purchasing a Maxxum.

I brought it into the place in Bloomington on Old Shakopee Road and the problem was a faulty circuit board in the trolling motor.

However it doesn't matter because I'm upgrading the trolling motor to a 80lb thrust Maxxum Pro 52" shaft for my 1775 Lund Pro V. That boat should boogie now.

Another thing you might want to consider is scrapping the wing nuts and getting nylock nuts instead. The wing nuts over time will loosen and you will end up with electrical problems. I know on all Evinrude/Johnson manuals I have looked at they tell you to hook up all battery connections with nuts not wing nuts.

Of course that isn't the issue you are having but down the road it may be. It was for me last year...

sounds good. I'll give that a shot for future use. It's nice with the wingnuts because you don't need wrenches or anything fancy.

Funny, I traded today for a 80lb maxxum pro and gave him a 65PD. I think on accident he gave me a 36volt 101 lbs thurst maxxum pro. I sure hope he has what I already paid for and need before this weekend.