• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are You Greedy?

Bobby Bass

You know fishermen and hunters are greedy! Sitting on the deck I had this thought pass through my greedy little brain. Now I know you may think this is a little rude on my part but I want you to consider this before passing judgment. Say you go out fishing, which we all will be in just a few short weeks. You start off with "I would just like to get the boat wet "maybe wet a line. Then it is "I would just like to get a bite and I would be happy "Then you get a bite and it is "I would just like to feel a tug on my line" after the bobber goes down and the fish makes a run you say "All I want to do is see it" then when you see it the next line is " I just want to touch it so I can say I had one on." Then when you land it you say "All I want is a keeper" after the keeper you want to catch a limit or move on to another kind of fish, Now that I got my walleye I want a northern or a bass and as long as they are bigger then the ones you caught I will be happy. Of course the next thing is to catch more species then you. We all say just "one more cast" why? So we can have a chance to catch one more fish... Nothing wrong with that. So are you greedy?

Absoulutly. I've moved from concentrating on one species to another much of my fishing life, usually after reaching some sort of "milestone" that I set out to achieve. I'm can't say I'm one of those guys who "just likes to get out"; I'm pretty focused on reaching some level I set for myself. Some might see that as taking the fun out of it, or putting too much pressure on myself when it should be just for fun or relaxation, but it works for me. And I really do like to "get out", I guess it's just in my nature to look toward a goal of some kind.

Im the same way traveler. My goal is to keep on top of the fish from opener til closing. Hasnt happened yet but it will some day soon. A guy can never know too much about the fish he is atteting to catch.

I DO think I am greedy in that nature, but I will argue that most people don't go through the progression of those stages all in the same day. I think people hit different levels on that scale at different times. It comes up a lot in hunting. Sometimes you just wanbt to be able to shoot and feel that exhilaration. Next you want to kill something. Next you want a limit. Then you're thinking about a trophy and of course the pinnacle is when you're out in the woods just to be out there....whenther you're hunting or not.

For Sure, I fish for fun alot but I also like to fish for the challenge. Started out panfishing and as that got easier I started to fish more walleye. Dont get me wrong there are still days were its tuff to buy an eye bite but I guess the challenge has just faded. Now its pretty much musky fishing from opener on out. Everytime out I usually say "all I wanna do is get a follow". Then if im lucky enough to catch one its usually "wouldnt it be awsome to boat 2 in a day". So ya I guess im greedy but in a good way I think wink.gif

I should amend my post a little....didn't mean to say I'd "done it all" with a particular species before I moved on, or that I don't still fish the species I once concentrated on, cause I do. It's just that, for example, after 5 years of camping/fishing/refining my slip bobbering technique on Seagull/Sag in the late 90's, I haven't been back up there (and I never caught the true hawg I was after, tho' my wife caught 2), but it isn't like I wouldn't still enjoy that trip. It's just that I get caught up with a different species and switch to fishing hard for that for another period of time. I'm just getting into muskies now for instance, and expect that to be pretty much my focus for a few years now.

I prefer the term "driven to perform" to greedy. smile.gif I sink time into things that are personally rewarding, its my nature. Some people can be happy bobbing up and down in the boat on a nice day, not me, that sounds like a waste of time - fishing is indeed about the mission, the thrill of the hunt. Somehow along the way, fishing became some sort of "relaxing, recreational, passive pastime" - hunting doesn't get that spin very frequently, why should fishing? Serious pursuit of game is what you make of it - I'm asserting my spiritual right and civil privilege to engage in it, igniting the mental and physical flames to be the best I can be, and nursing my soul in the process! Tasty fish and life-threatening adventures are just the side benefits. smile.gif I could very well be a "shut-up-and-fish" type, I just haven't been paying much attention to what others think, I have too many like-mided fishing pals. shocked.gif

WOW am I ever out of my league here. I go fishing because it is fun. I do not have to catch or target a certain fish. I have enough stress at work that I do not need any stress to perform while I am on the water. Just nice to get out with the Lil Mrs or some other faminly member or friend now and again and just watch the bobber float and waste away the day. It's one of those times that you do not have to say anything to each other but you are happy to be there. Ice fishing is a little differnt but not much. In either case if we do catch a bunch of nice fish then we have a good supper when we get home instead of hot dogs! laugh.gif

Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

i am with powerstroke and duckslayer. with what ps said about reaching the pinnacle. it used to be that the almighty limit was the sole purpose of going fishing. now, if you read my signature line, i go fishing just to go fishing. i started to realize. that when i was out there fishing, i was in a nicer place. and have lost the urge to "limit out". like ds. said it is so peaceful to just sit there in your own lil world and watch the bobber float. i can loose all track of time and presence, drop all feelings of stress and anxieity. and soak in all that positive energy. if i am greedy in anyway at all. it would be to have more time to go doit. ... paul

I would have to say absolutely not. Usually by the end of the day I am so frustrated that I offer to give my gear away, Kinda like charity work. grin.gif

Luckily nobody has taken me up on this offer. smirk.gif

Hey Bobby,

You have stumbled across is what a few outdoors philosophy types call the Five Stages or Phases of Hunting or Fishing

1. Shooter/Angler stage - wants to shoot the gun, practice with the rod

2. Limiting out stage - has to keep going to get his limit

3. Trophy Stage-self explanatory

4. Challenge Stage - muzzleloading, archery, handgun, fly fishing, new species, something you haven't tried

5. Sportsman Stage - Relax and enjoy the outdoors - It's not the destination, it's the journey!

That was from a book I read in an outdoors traditions class I took.

It's kind of like a self-actualization thing...supposedly the further up you go the more you have advanced, although it doesn't always work that way and it's different with each person. Heck with me it's different for each activity I'm in: duck hunting, deer hunting, angling, etc....each one I'm in a differen stage.

p.s. Keep up the good work on lake iwanttobethere...I will visit some day

You know what greedy is? LOL's

It's like this, people are fishing...one person is catching fishes, another is not. The person catching fish is sport fishing and releasing them back. The person not catching fishing gets all big-eyed and asks if they can keep them. They fish and catches one finally, looks around, tries to be quiet/sneaky throws into bucket. Hmmm...is this greedy?

Team of folks fishing together. Neither fishing buddies catches limit but together have enough limit for one person. One buddy decides to go home, and takes his limit of fishes, leaving only one fish left. Is this greedy?

Quote:

Fishing: You'll never have so much fun being pissed off!

I thought that was golf!

Quote:

1. Shooter/Angler stage - wants to shoot the gun, practice with the rod

2. Limiting out stage - has to keep going to get his limit

3. Trophy Stage-self explanatory

4. Challenge Stage - muzzleloading, archery, handgun, fly fishing, new species, something you haven't tried

5. Sportsman Stage - Relax and enjoy the outdoors - It's not the destination, it's the journey!

6. The teaching stage- Where it is just as much fun if not more to teach someone how to fish and get them hooked. Can be a grand kid, to the neighbor to your boss. Kind of like an assist in basketball.

I started this string somewhat tongue in cheek, it really went in a direction I was not thinking of at the time. I was writing more in line for being greedy in not getting enough fishing and on a personal level of improving. I like reading the replies..

But then teaching the kid stage turns into competition with the kid stage!

Quote:

Several years ago, my kids and I were fishing and my eldest caught a dandy King on Lake Superior. That fish was bound and determined not to be taken alive. I found myself trying to take the rod from him and trying to muscle myself in on his success because I was afraid he would lose it. He did get it in by himself, despite my "help."

Quote:

Quote:

Several years ago, my kids and I were fishing and my eldest caught a dandy King on Lake Superior. That fish was bound and determined not to be taken alive. I found myself trying to take the rod from him and trying to muscle myself in on his success because I was afraid he would lose it. He did get it in by himself, despite my "help."

OOOooo...excellent example!

Not as good example: but Sometimes there's nothing better than a back seat angler...LOL's

drag drag dude!

pull'm in!

LOL's "Who's holding the fishing rod!" (Who wants to land the fish more?)

BB -

You're right on with this one....for me at least. wink.gif

Sturgeon fishing this past weekend, me and "wall eye assasin" were saying on the way up that we'd just like to see one caught in our boat. Our first day, we caught 4 small ones. Next day, we said to ourselves we'd just like to once tie into a 40" sturgeon to see how hard it fought. Later on in the day we were saying how awesome it would be to have a double 50" sturgeon hookup.

Everything got to be more and more. But, as fortune would have it, we actually got our wishes! We caught multiple 40"+ fish and with 15 minutes left on our trip, wall eye assasin hooks into a 50"er and I hooked into a 52"er at the same time! Our dream 50"+ double!

Couldn't have scripted a better weekend IMO.

But yep, I'm greedy in this way. grin.gif

it all depends on the day. if its just me Im relaxing and trying new things just because Im curious. When Im with my brother Im competitive, Im trying hard to catch fish lots and big. When Im with my kids Im teaching and having fun often just too busy to fish myself. I dont think Ive ever been greedy and wanted more.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these people greedy or just jerks about it.

showed up at the bank...two guys pooped out from fishing and two guys were fishing. So I picked an open spot, set down my gear. One guys picks up his fishing rod and moves in withing a few feet to the right of me and starts cross casting in front. The other guys moves over to the left about 40 feet and starts to cross cast in front. Okay so how am I suppose to fish? So I use the good ol trusty slib bobber and jig. Come on, guys keep casting withing inches of my bobber. Stupid,...is the fish right where I cast my bobber? My conclusion, they're greedy and jerks about it. Plenty of fishes in the river, they're just not very good at catching them.

I go fishing to enjoy the day and if I catch a few that's great. My 23 year old son seems to think that out fishing dad is the way to go. I have a 14 foot boat with a 4 stroke 15 on it and a 18.5 foot boat with a 150 on it.I fish some lakes that have underwater obstructions and I usually use the small boat to fish these lakes. My son gets on me because we could get around on the lake faster with the bigger boat. Sometmes I like to troll to where I am wanting to go. It is fishing isn't it? When I used to fish with my dad, you were on the water by about 5 am and fished no matter what type of weather until mid morning. Then we may have gone in for a while and relaxed around the camper. We would go out again before the dusk and fish after dark until dad decided to head in. You didn't complain about the fishing or the weather or else you got a ride to the dock, booted out of the boat and probably didn't fish until you learned to fish the way dad wanted. I'm not bad mouthing my dad. He has been gone since 1971 and I would give a lot to be able to fish with him now. I gave my son a nice rain suit and he refuses to fish if it is even sprinkling. He also can't get up before noon and every time I want to head to a lake that is 50 or 60 miles away I would like to leave about 5 am and he calls around 10 or so and apologises for over sleeping. His cell phone is shut off or in another room so I can't call and wake him up. Anyway, we have an enjoyable day when fishing, but I have never been able to get him on the water very early and he won't fish at night and these are the times that I like to fish the mmost. confused.gif