• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rabbit lake on hwy 47 just south of Aitkin

Anyone have any info on this lake? I live on section 12 a couple of miles from there but have never fished rabbit.

Dale,

Rabbit is a very fine fishing lake! Lots of nice panfish with some good size and very good bass and pike fishing. There are walleyes but not huge numbers.

I have fished the lake in the winter for crappies and have done very well. Average size is in the 8 to 10 inch range, with some bigger on occasion.

Very much worth any anglers time to fish!

Fish On!!!

Cranker,

Thanks for the info. I think I will put the boat in there next weekend. Does it have a deep enough boat ramp with the water levels as low as they are this year? I have a 16' Crestliner fishhawk.

Sorry I cant tell you about the landing only have fished it in the winter. There is lot's of Panfish and northerns. There is also a ton of structure in the lake so watch out!!!

Dale,

I have a cabin on Section 10 lake. Are 10 and 12 both open? I have never fished Rabbit. I have shot grouse around the lake. I have never fished 12 but have fished 10 since I was 3. 10 has really turned into a great largemouth bass lake. Loads of fish from 2.5 to 5 lbs. Great Panfish lake as well. What's the story with 12?

Thanks...

Rabbit is a great panfish lake.Ask Dr Kuiken in Aitkin.He lives on the lake & would maybe share some current info.

I grew up on Section 10.That lake has gone through some changes with the creeks plugging up.

We used to do really well on walleyes ,however it has died in that respect.

There are some dandy pumpkinseeds in there as well as a ton of pike.

12 is still a decent crappie lake.We used to get them right off of Andersons dock all the way down to Kingsleys corner.

those reeds are a good spot to try.

Now that I'm out in Palisade we are fishing other lakes.

The bite has already started for us.

HPIM1891.jpg

HPIM1871.jpg

HPIM1858.jpg

CrappieKeith,

I would agree. The walleye population has dropped significantly on 10. The last 5 openers we have pulled one walleye from the lake each year and they have all been over 26 inches. Never seen walleyes that big on that lake. We are in the red cabin on the point on the South side of the lake. We have always done well with crappies and sunfish. There are a lot of pike in the lake.

thanks for the comments.

Crappiekeith,

I would agree with you that 12 is a decent crappie lake. I fish it from 1st ice every week. Most of the fish are in the 8 to 10 inch range but we did get a few 12's and 1 14 this winter. I thought that I was on RED.

I think that 12 took a hit back in the late 90's when they put it in the Outdoor News as pick of the week. It looked like a town out there for about a month straight.

Anderson is my wife's grandmother and I bought my land from Kingsley and built back in 97. Small world!

Well Dale her uncle Ted was my best buddy back then.

Boy did Vivian make some awesome carmel rolls.

Glen would have Tim up from th U and we'd get so snokered on the beer parties.

Heck we were just kids then .Glen loved his ice cream & there was always empty gallon pales around.

So we'd fill them up from the beer wagons and get just plowed.We were only 12 or 13 at the time.

Boy could I tell you stories.

We did have a crew of kids that hung together.Locals and weekenders all toll put us in a group of 15.

Talk about RatPack!

Where is your place Dale?

I'm out in Palytown now ,maybe we could hook up for some hooken up?

Quote:

Cappiekeith -

Those crappies seem to be whispering to me...
wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Boy o boy Heartman you got a good eye.

Just whisper that lakes name,can't have everyone in it.

I have 3 other spots like that one that are great early on.

Maybe I'll show you them or you may already know you sly ole dog! grin.gif

Took you a while, brother. Been awhile since I've been there - probably be a while 'til I get back. Until then, your secret's safe with me. wink.gifwink.gif By the way, how's the water level in the lake just to the west? Still really low?

Walleye71,

Both the lakes are open and ready for fishing. I have done great on 12 during the winter in the deep hole on the opposite side of the lake as the access.

I had the boat in Nord last weekend until the rain pushed me off the lake.

Give me a heads up when you are going to be in the area.

Ya she low too.

Everything around here is around 2 foot lower.

What did you mean by it took you awhile?

Thought you'd missed my play on words...but, now I know you read me loud and clear.

Onward!!

Quote:

CrappieKeith,

I would agree. The walleye population has dropped significantly on 10. The last 5 openers we have pulled one walleye from the lake each year and they have all been over 26 inches. Never seen walleyes that big on that lake. We are in the red cabin on the point on the South side of the lake. We have always done well with crappies and sunfish. There are a lot of pike in the lake.

thanks for the comments.

It must have been built recently like in the last 10 years?

When I was 12 we would sneek out there to smoke our ciggies.

There was an old house there that was abandoned at the time.

Not on the point but almost.

Back when the creeks were open the walleyes were thick!

We used to troll around the reed islands out in the east middle & do a number on them.

Quote:

Thought you'd missed my play on words...but, now I know you read me loud and clear.

Onward!!

I had you immeadiatly! wink.gif

Quote:

Crappiekieth,

Do you have a sister named kelly??

Do you mean this turd?

HPIM1289.jpg

My wife was a Lamke. I have a large family but only some of them are still in the area. I was on the same bus as you back in the day. My parents owned the old Johnson farm just off the bay of Nord. Some names that you might remember in my family are Clint, Reggie, Janel, Rod and June. Last name starts with a H.

Anytime you get some time in the next 2 weeks and want to go jump on those fish give me a hollar Dale.

Time to go rip some lips,asta la vista!

Sorry Crappie. I meant the north side facing south is where the cabin is located. I do believe there is a house on that south point now. Our cabin has been on that point on the north side since the 60's.

We'll be up there for Opener. Always are. My dad tells me the samething about those reed islands on the east side back in the days for walleyes. Now those are good spots for when the crappie bite is tough.

I have so many fond memories of that lake.

I've fished it,hunted it & trapped on it& speared on it.

I've been on it for 37 years.

My dad & brother were creamated when the died & are on it.

I chased girls on it,drank beer on it,water ski'd it,skated on it,snomobiled on it.Submarined a pontoon on it.

Started a boat on fire on it.

I'd have died on it had we still had our property in the NE corner where the Sissabagamaugh creek dumps in it.

I truely loved that lake.We saw the sunset every night on it.

I knew most everyone on it too.

It's too bad the old septics drained all of that sewage in there to promote the weed growth.

In my mind that did her in.