• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Newspaper article, Why do you use FM?

Mrs Boilerman

Hi everyone. I'm a reporter (please don't hold it against me) for the Daily Globe in Worthington and want to write a story for our fishing tab about fishingminnesota.com.

I'm looking for comments and stories about why you use the site, what makes it work so well, how being able to exchange info has changed or added to how and where you fish - that kind of thing. I've exchanged an email or two with Rick and will get input from him also, but I want input from the people that use it every day, that depend on it for information, that use it to meet new fishing buddies...whatever.

Please keep in mind, this is about the positive impact of the fm site. Also, I may quote anything you have to say, so whether you want me to use your screen name or real name is up to you, but I would like a general location of where you are. Anyone that would like to email me directly can find my email address in my profile. I will add my toll-free number also.

Deadline for this is Thursday morning, April 26, so please respond before then or your comments will not be used.

Thanks!

Justine Wettschreck (yep, aka Boilerguy and/or Eric's wife...sorry honey)

P.S. If anybody wants a copy of the tab after it publishes in early May, let me know and I'll send them out

you should look up a previous post from about two weeks ago. what brought you here. i believe it was. it is a great info shareing site. and haveing met some of the people from here in events and gatherings it is no wonder it in the number one outdoor related web site in the states. just dont mind our spelling and grammer. lol. ... paul

I can't be everywhere aat once. sure is nice to have informed people everywhere I may want to go today, this week or this weekend. Minnesota has so many places to go; by looking at the weather and this site it gets narrowed down very easily other times its a big struggle on what to choose between. I have learned so many things on this site, it contains so much information, and so many well informed people from everywhere. I try to find information on everything I can from Red Lake to Red Wing and also find out how to cook wild game or fix my pickup. And it only works because of the people we have that offer their knowledge, and for me to try to contribute what I can, when I can. This is why I use this site, and ahy I think it works.

I find that it's a great way to keep in touch with like minded people about something that is a priority in my life and that priority is fishing. Walleye fishing in particular.

I don't look for information on where to go or what to use so much as what techniques work under different circumstances. For example: Where should you start searching for walleyes in a new lake that is stained and the water temp is between 60 and 65 degrees. There is a wealth of information here that is free for the asking. How can I fix my trailer, What's the best way to repaint my boat, etc.

There is no other medium with so much information that you can get so quickly and for free.

My main reason for using FM might be a bit different from most. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the advice and the unlimited knowledge base of most everyone who uses the site. Most of all, I enjoy reading about the "hunt" or the "big fish" and similar things. I like to sit back and pretend I was a part of the event. The stories are so realistic it is the next best thing to actually being there. I just turned 60 so my better days are behind - reading FM keeps you young. Oh, I did bag a nice Tom this morning and the best part was having my 12 year old grandson right by my side.

all the information here is great, plus we cover many areas and states. the one other thing that makes me so loyal to this site is being partof a family or brother hood made up of all the great people here! from loosing a great hunting dog , to loosing a family member, or needing prayers, the support is unbleievable! we have also had a time or two when a member just needed family to stand beside them when they wondered if life was worth it.shortly, there were people there to help ! an awesome site! grin.gif

It's my link to fishing when all other means of achieving my impossible goal (fish every day) is out of reach.

It's nice to be part of a community, both on-line and off-line, of people that share the same interests. There's always plenty of talk about hunting, fishing, boats, locations, etc. Whenever I want to talk or read about stuff like that, I can do it here.

I live in MO but try to make it to MN every year for a fishing vacation. The people on here have given me very good advice on what to bring with me when I make the trip. They Really helped me out when I was able to come up for my only icefishing adventure a few years ago...I had no idea what to bring or what to expect and they filled me in very nicely! I didn't catch any whoppers but I had a wonderful time on my icefishing adventure thanks to the people on this site. grin.gif

I frequently use FM for the following reasons:

-The "community" that FM represents. You feel like you know many of these people when I have actually only met a few in person.

-The information. I haven't found a place where I can get information (both opinion and facts) like I can on FM.

-Saftey. This may sound funny but when it comes to ice conditions and low water issues I heavily depend on my fellow FMer's.

-Entertainment. I very much enjoy reading about others adventurers, successes and funny stories. The pictures are also great.

Thanks,

WG

I'm addicted to it, and love to fish. There is a forum for just about everyone on the site. I like the info sharing, the get togethers and commraderie and it also helps to hear about others adventures when I can't get out myself!

Tunrevir~

I think that the best part of this forum is the Bird Watching and Photo Sharing sections. There are truly some great photographers’ out there and those are the first two places that I visit when I come here. After that I just check out everything else as time permits. I like to read the reports from LakeIwannabethere. Bobby can put a spin on those stories to make you think that you are sitting there with them and there is usually something in there that will remind you of an event of your own past. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

FM is a great place for information. I am one who fishes all over the state, and this web site connects us so that we can know pretty fast what's going on several hours away.

As an example, in the spring, I watch the Rainy River area several times every day. I need to know the status of the boat ramps, how the melt is coming on the river, water temps, places to stay, and how the "bite" is coming along. I can find most of that right here, either from those that live up there, or from those that have been there already.

Another good thing about it is that we learn fishing techniques from one another. I always keep an eye out for the little things that make other good fishermen successful, and then go and try to duplicate that myself.

As a person who makes a living in the fishing industry, and as a new sponsor of this site, I can say that it has already helped me book many guide trips, as well as meet new people and make worthwhile connections with others in the fishing industry.

It's a great place for all of us to help one another be successful with the thing we all have most in common: fishing.

And finally, for those of us whose main addiction is fishing, there are always those times when you just can't be out there......BUT, sometimes (at least) you have the consolation of being able to be on FM talking about it!

I live in MT and have made a couple trips to MN based on things I have learned about on FM. One year it was a 10 day fishing trip and the other was to attend the Ice Show in ST Paul this year. I have used FM to become a better fisherman, to meet new people, to learn about technique for ALL species and for recomendations for guides, resorts, restaraunts...you name it.

It has some of the fastest servers, the best info and is moderated in such a manner that I never feel I have asked a "stupid" question. The "flame" quotient is as low as it gets, the posters are not only knowledgable but EAGER to share, and the "community" as a whole is perhaps the main reason I return, just to "hang out"

Mike in Kalispell, MT

All fishermen are liars! grin.gif

You can joke with a fellow fisher person. Respect their views and build upon the FM community and social microculture.

Before I head out to Lake Superior, I can readily find info the day before I head out as to what depth, speed, lure or bait someone was using recently. If I was heading up to Lake of the Woods on a weekend or to the Rainy River or Lake Kabetogama, I can ask the Wednesday before on any fishing info and get enough responses that day or at least for sure before the Fri. I head up. Grouse hunting stories, pics of deer kills or waterfowl hunting. All here. It's a bond that hunters and anglers have. We all come from different backgrounds and have our own separate life stories to tell but the love for fishing, hunting, and general outdoor lore is the common bond. This is now the only outdoor site I visit anymore.

Kumbaya, My Lord, Kumbaya grin.gif

I truly enjoy helping people; whether it be out in real life situations, or here in cyberspace. I get a great feeling when I know the right advice for a problem in the expert information, sharing recipes, or any given forum. I know that there are many others that share this same trait, and there really isn't much that can't be troubleshooted with this wealth of knowledge. It's kind of a brotherhood in a way.

There is the obvious wealth of information, but that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as I'm concerned.As we get older and settle into our life's routine, we have a tendency not to add many people to our core group of friends.....until FM. I am quite serious when I say that I have met people through this site that are much more than casual acquaintences. I've literally fished with people I've talked to only through these forums, that have become lifelong friends. With fishing as common interest, every FM member would qualify as a friend, and be welcome in my boat anytime. But then there are these other guys I've mentioned. Guys who go beyond the fishing aspect. Guys who have driven hundreds of miles just to hang out. Guys whose families know my voice when I call on the phone, and I know which one of them I'm talking to by name. Guys I've helped and who have helped me with everything from moving and fixing my truck, to dealing with troubled relationships, the loss of a job, and even the death of loved ones. I didn't start posting on FM with the intention of meeting these people, but it couldn't have worked out any better.

I've also had the chance to do several radio and tv interviews, and meet people who either own or work for outdoor related businesses. This, in turn, has promted me and couple other members to lay the groundwork for our own business venture. Again, this never would have happened without FM.

In short, Fishing Minnesota has had, and will continue to have a profound impact in so many aspects of my life; personal and professional. There are very few things that have such an effect on us over the years, and I can't imagine where I would be had I not stumbled across it five short years ago.

Ditto what many have said.

So is Mr Boilerguy related to a Kirk Wettschrek? Cant be too many Wettschreks around.

Wow! I can't believe what great responses I'm getting! I'm really psyched about getting this article put together. My main beat is crime and courts and cops, so this is a fun change of pace. Keep the comments coming until Thursday morning, when I'll sit down, compile, and get to writin'.

And yes, Kirk is related. His grandpa Wally and Eric's grandpa Elroy were brothers. Strangely enough, we never knew Kirk existed until he found me on the Internet several years ago while working on a college project about family trees or some such thing.

I'll tell him you said Hi.

His eyeballs will bug out wondering what the heck I am talking about. laugh.gif

I work with him.

Quote:

My main beat is crime and courts and cops,

Boy you had me scared for a moment! grin.gif

Wasn't sure where you were going with that quote!!! hehehe

Course I'm sure you could dig up a speeding ticket or two with this motley bunch! But only en' route to Upper Red Lake or the like!

Good Luck!

Ken

You work with my kinda cousin Kirk??? On behalf of the entire Wettschreck klan, including the ones I do not know, from the bottom of my heart I apologize. grin.gif

I didnt want to say anything bad about him, but now that you have started............ grin.gif

Please let him know the grass still hasn't grown back from the site of the fire.

Where else can you talk local fishing, hunting, and dirt track racing all in addition to gaining invaluable technical advice for boats, snowmobiles, ATV's, landscaping and home improvement? And that's before we even get to football, dog training, cooking and looking at outdoor photography too!

The amount of info available here is unreal and the people are great...

Quote:

I didnt want to say anything bad about him, but now that you have started............
grin.gif

The real question now Mark is what dirt can you get us on the Boilerman???? grin.giflaugh.giftongue.gif