• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Line

tmvikings

What's the best 4# test for Crappies? Tried the Trilene smooth cast -NOT GOOD- Lots of twists confused.gif

Any line will have twists, it depends on how it is spooled on. Freshly spooled line has a tendancy to jump off the reel. I was out today and my buddie was having the same problem on his set-up.

One thing I do is put the new spool of line in the water when I put it on the reel, whenever possible. This way the spool will spin around freely avoiding some line twist. The other thing to do on new line or twisted line is to troll it off the side of the boat without a lure on.

There has been much debate over mono verses braid. I personally like mono for the smaller fishes. XL Trilene is good line, I buy it when I can't get Maxima.

Maxima Chameleon is the best mono in my opinion.

day in day out....I still spool triline XL for most light line applications.

I find that the cheaper lines like trilene tend to fray very easy. Spend the couple extra bucks more and get the better stuff. Some of the good ones I've tried is the red cajun line and spiderwire supermono.

Pline Fluorocarbon, Gamma or Sufix for mono. Very little memory in any of these. Fireline Cyrstal if you prefer to use braid. All great lines. I am a big Pline fan but Gamma has really impressed me so far.

Can you tie 4 lb flouro or braid (Fireline Crystal) directly to the spool or do you have to back with mono?

I usually back my Fireline with mono just for the fact that I can get 2 reels spooled with just one spool of Fireline.

Quote:

What's the best 4# test for Crappies? Tried the Trilene smooth cast -NOT GOOD- Lots of twists
confused.gif

Depends on presentation:

slipbobber w/jig deep water - mono

crank minnow - fireline

metal spoons - fireline

deep water jigging - fireline

skinny water stealth floats - mono

My personal preference is copolymer lines I use Silverthread Excaliber, heavier than water so it sinks

and more water resistance, less stretch than mono. High abrasive resistance so it slides through the slip bobbers. Not so supple that it knots on a float rig cast, or live bait swimming the line into a knot.

In my past experiences with smooth casts lines are they tend to twists a lot more, due to their suppleness. They also tend to be more stretchy. I prefer a good clean hookset through the jawbone rather than only skin. Crappies have soft tissues for their mouths. Fireline gives me that deep imbedded hookset.

I bought some Vanish (flouro) yesterday and am thinking about spooling an ultralight combo with it. How does flouro perform compared to mono? I know it's harder for fish to see, but are there negatives?

Juan- There are some disadvantages to Florocarbon lines. Generally they are stiffer, and do not cast as well. The knot strength is not near as good as a mono or co-poly line. Florocarbon also sinks(heavier than water) which can be a disadvantage, but can also be an advantage.

FACT: Fireline is the strongest straight pulled(that i have experienced

OPINION: Fire line is bestfreaking line on earth!!! ooo.gifwink.gif

FACT: Trilene XT is the Strongest Mono Straight pulled(that i have experienced)

OPINION: Trilene XT is too stiff to catch fish on.

Fact: Power Pro is WEAKER than SpiderWire, Fireline, Stren magna braid, Trilene XT and XL

OPINION: Power Pro is OVERRATED

FACT: Flourocarbon is almost invisible underwater

OPINION: Fish like fireline better

As you can tell i absolutely love fireline

FACT: Hanson likes PowerPro.

OPINION: Hanson really, really likes PowerPro.

grin.gif

Dietz i have not, too expensive for a science fair project, i bought all form joes.

Power pro tested at 12, 9, and 16 dry and 9, 10, and 12. It was 14 lb. test

Used 8 lb. test fire line tested at 15, 16, and 17 dry, havent gotten around to wet

I know hanson fishes cats with large lb. tests and that may be different. I might have to pick upsome p-line also, im sucking in all your expert advice, lol i need it

ocf- Ok.. then dont say its a fact that P-line is the strongest unless you have tested it against Gamma.. LOL... I will admit, that 2 years ago I would have agreed with you 100%!.. no ifs and or butts.. but not longer.

Is the Gamma line that you guys speak of the flouro version or the mono version?

Quote:

Is the Gamma line that you guys speak of the flouro version or the mono version?

Gamma line comes in fluorocarbon or copolymer. I'm new to gamma technology but think the copolymer is more popular and what most people on here are referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:

I know hanson fishes cats with large lb. tests and that may be different. I might have to pick upsome p-line also, im sucking in all your expert advice, lol i need it

Yep... 80lb PowerPro on all my cat rods. Love that stuff.

I did spool on some new Fireline Crystal on one of my walleye spinning rods and was really, really impressed. It has great feel, is easy to work with, and is hard to break when you get snagged up.

Quote:

I use both.. but the mono/co-poly is what most are using. Its ultra strong, very limp, very low memory, and casts like a dream. Floro is a little harder to deal with, and I only use it in a few applications.

Ok guys I'm going to throw my two cents in here, if you are going to test line and discuss break strength you have to make sure that you are using apples to apples. I prefer to go by line diameter rather then break strength on a package. As an example on the PLine CXX 10lb dia is .012, So is Gamma Co-Pol, while XT is .013. So if you test them you actually need to test the XT at 8lb on the box since it is .012. Just my two cents!

Now if you go to Fluorocarbon it gets really hard because using 12lb as a gauge here are the dia you are working with, Vanish - .012, Pline Fluorocarbon (not the mix!) .012, Gamma - .013 and the stuff I use Sunline for 12lb box is .011. To get the same as Gamma I have to go to 16lb. Why, Sunline happens to be a IGFA rated line, so I go up higher in "pound" test when in reality I'm equal, see my point?

The dia means a lot more then a number thrown on a box for break strength. As always I'm not trying to argue but rather make a valid point when you say a line breaks light, does it? Maybe yes, maybe NO! If you had tested Sunline you would walk away saying it is Junk!

JUST MY TWO CENTS!!!!!!!!!

Very well stated Spro. I will also add to what you have...Line companies can make stronger lines, by extruding them more, but then you give up knot strenght and limpness. So, even if you test just on strength, you may have a very strong line that doesnt cast for beans...

I think a person could really go all out and have a number of rods with a number of lines for a number of presentations.

I for one like to keep it simple. Just your good'ol 4lb Trilene XL on one pannie rod and that's good enough for me. smirk.gif But then again, I usually only fish pannies until the walleye opener, so I'm really not that "into it" like others may be. smirk.gif

Yeah, I had sticker shock when I looked at some of the lines mentioned here at Cabellas the other night. I'm used to paying the $5-6 for a spool of mono. Some of the Gamma and Fireline brands (enough to maybe spool two reels) were $30-40.

I have so much stuff I need to buy for the boat (spare tire, more rods, co-pilot, etc.) that I just can't justify spending $100 on line for my reels.

Can you leave that braided line on for multiple seasons or do you guys change it every year?

Juan Grande,

Braided lines are good for years. If one end starts to wear out spool it out, then reconnect and respool with the end that was on the bottom at the top. This way you have the fresh line on the top.