• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HOWS THE ICE LOOKIN ON SIDE/BIG STURGEON LAKE? CANT WAIT TO GET UP THERE AND CATCH NOTHING. THANKS FOR ANY UPDATES.

I talked to someone that was up that way last week and he said that it was starting to break up pretty good. Second info...but the best I can do smile.gif

I think the ice is pulling from the shore a little, but my flight instructor was using Sturgeon for practice landings on Wednesday. He said the ice away from shore was still really thick and safe. But once it pulls back from the shore it usually is not far from turning bad. Especially in this weather! smile.gif

practicing landings on the lake two days ago? i suppose thats one way to check the ice thickness. you werent with him for that one were you? thanks for the help. average ice out on that lake has historically been on the 26th of April. hoping to have the dock in on the 4th, sounds like thats a possiblity.

No, I wasn't! He had someone check it for him!!! I am predicting a late ice out this year. But it is 70 here today, so if this keeps up, it may not be so late! Pray for rain now!!

Just got a "fresh update" from MRP. Side Lake is at least 1/3 open. Big is totally fogged in but TZ said that the ice was piling up by MRP's.

MRP and I are headed to LOW on Thurs. I'll be up there for 7 days of sturgeon fishing. TZ is coming up for a couple of days. Will keep you updated.

Jeff

Jeff, sounds like a great trip up there for the sturgeon. wish i was going to see TZ this weekend. the kids plucked 6 to 10 dozen crawlers last night. probably have 20 dozen in the bucket right now that i could give him. now that they know how to catch them, i will have to do less of it.

talked to JZ last nite and she said the ice would be out by the end of the week, right when it usually goes out. wish i could get up there to get the dock in, but that can wait two weeks. im sure that if he gets a chance, big boy will get his dock in this week before he leaves. he's always the first in and the first out with the dock. if you google earth the lake, you can see that his dock is the only one on the lake. picture must have been taken right at the end of april or the first week in may.

good luck up there jeff. send pictures from your computer, mrp's doesnt work so good. he needs a new machine.

BTW, TZ is really looking forward to his trip up there next week. we will be up on the 4th to get some stuff done around the lake and get the water and dock in. maybe even have time to try the crappie spot(s) with TZ's new 15 horse. the question is whether we will have any water by the cabin to get the boat in.