• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

splash guards

raymondk

Question

I am thinking on installing splash guards on my boat since I do alot of backtrolling any suggestions pro and cons cost . Any help I don't fish real big lakes but I am sick of getting wet.

10 answers to this question

I am also interested. any info would be great to have. My grandpa just got a used boat a couple years ago and it came with some sort of brackets on it, but no splash guards. I will take pictures in a week when i go home for the weekend and post them to see what you guys think, if i can just get the splash guards, or if i have to get everything.

sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, just curious.

They are not the best looking splash guards I or anyone has ever seen, but they are the best i have ever used. No kidding here! Use Plastic rain gutters and just turn them upside down. I back troll with a 90 horse pulling bottom bouncers all the time in high winds and don't even hardly get a drop of water in the boat. They aren't fancy but it's cheap and will work.

Build your own! A little alum. angle stock and a couple of alum. bar stock and a sheet of plexy. That's what I did. When you do this, you can make them just how you want them and it is cheaper also. I did get plexy glass from buddy of mine and got alum. from work, but in the end you end up with what you want (size wise and coverage wise). Good luck.

I bought some from White Caps (they are a sponser or at least were last year). They are custom made for your type of boat and they are reasonably priced. They work great. I am very happy I bought them. I have 16' lund rebel i put them on. I was able to buy them over the phone and had them on my doorstep a couple days later!

Unfortunately, I don't. They are up north. I made two aluminum angle pieces about 24" long and they run horizontal at bottom of Plexiglas. I attached plexi to aluminum angle (90 deg) with stainless steal boat hardware and plastic washers. I took 1/2" by 2" aluminum bar stock, around 10" long (cut four of them, two for each side) and drill and tapped (2) 3/8" holes a top end of each piece. I then drilled and couter sunk holes in aluminum angel, for mounting bar stock to angle bracket. I then put hole at bottom on 1/2 side, through 2" length on all four 3/8" for lock pin. I then fabricated four mounting brackets that the 1/2" by 2" bar stock would slide into. Two inside and two outside brakes and drilled a hole horizontal on both sides. The plexi I taped edges and cut the straights with saw and Roto zipped holes. I burn cut corners with fine tip on a straight stick soldering gun. I marked a nice round corner and burned plexi along outside/scrape side of plexi. I wheel buffed edges with metal polish and high speed elec. motor mounted to bench with a buffing wheel on it. In the end I bought cheap door jam edge capping from auto parts store (chrome) and put it along all exposed edges of plexi. I used smoked plexi, it goes with color sheam of boat. I just did this because I love fabricating and the feeling of doing something you’re self. I know it is not everyone’s cup of tea and I never even priced out have a set made. In the end I have not ever used them yet. I made them 4 years ago and have not back trolled since. I have happy troller, but have not even use this either. I found planer boards and rod holders work great. With the board's available now a days, you can run two boards out each side of boat and two free lines out back, with out getting into prop. Just my $0.02 on this subject! smile.gif

Another WhiteCap guy here. Decent price, they look and work great on my boat. Not to mention he builds them out of a workshop at his house, it's nice to support the local guy.

Whitecaps here as well. Bar none, the best value on the market. 1/2 the price of wave-wackers and built just as well, if not better then the competition.

White caps all the way. Very good price compared to others and fantastic customer service. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. I was very inmpressed with the fit and finish after putting them on my boat. Also.......you dont have to be very mechanically inclined to put them on.

Matt

Sorry Sandmannd, I never got around to figuring how to get pictures on this site. I just baught a piece of rain gutter, cut it to length, turned them upside down, and attached them to the back of the boat. Lets just put it this way. If I'm a liar and it doesn't work as good or better then "regular" splash guards what are you out? $5 and an hour of you time.