• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Time for a change at closer?

SledNeck

Not looking so good for the Twins in the 9th innings is it?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

694GK5Db.jpg

Sled,

Even though they did win the game last night, I would have to agree with you. Nathan looked very hittable. If that runner would have been held at the plate I think the next guy would have hit him also. It seems like closers have a very short shelf like these days. We had Shingo in 05 and Jenks in 06 and Shingo is long gone and the jury is still out on Jenks this year.

Windy

You can't throw the towel in on the guy yet...I admit he definately is not throwing his '06 stuff, but it is still early and I am not sure Neshek would be the guy either unless everyone batted right handed..

Something is definately wrong with Joe Nathan. Its very rare to see closers of his "supposed" caliber have problems like this not due to an injury. Maybe he needs some motivation in the form of a benching. We all want him to do better, but what will waiting cost the twins?

Who knows what the deal is. I know he just had a baby, that could have something to do with it. His head is definately a bubble off right now. However, that doesn't mean give up on the guy. Cripes the season just started.

A change at closer is NOT the answer. So what if he has givin up runs the last two outings. When a closer comes in and it is not a save situation he does not have the same focus. Nathan is 4 for 4 on save opps. this year. Look at Nathan's saves since he has been here: 44 for 47, 43 for 48, and 36 for 38. This year his record is 1-1 with a 3.86 era. Nathan is fine. Look at the greatest closer in the world in New York. Rivera doesn't even have a save yet, he is 0-1 in save opps, his record is 1-1 with a 5.79 era. Look at his saves since 2004. 53 for 57, 43 for 47, 34 for 37, and this year 0 for 1. I don't hear people calling for his head. Bottom line is that closers are going to give up runs and blow saves. Nobody is going to have a closer that goes 70 for 70 in save opps and has a 0.00 era. It's not going to happen. Nathan is fine.

Anyone who thinks joe nathan should not be the twins closer is out of their mind. He is hands down the number one guy in the twins bullpen and arguably the best closer in all of baseball. To even bring this up at this point of the season is flat out ridiculous.

Okay..... scratch Mr. Neshek.

Why do they not allow Starters to go deeper into games. The way Santana was breezing through batters what harm would one more inning do?

The bullpen collapse thing really seems to be contagious. It can frustrate for sure. No way I give up on Nathan yet. You can't give up on a proven starter or reliever after they get hit only a couple times. You'll be out or pitchers by May almost every year.

Quote:

The way Santana was breezing through batters what harm would one more inning do?

A related question is: "Why didn't Crain come back out to start the 9th?" He has a 5-0 lead, a 1-2-3 8th inning, 12 pitches, 8 for strikes. Would his arm fall off if he threw a dozen more? Or were we seeing a little non-save-situation audition for Mr. Funky in a future closer role? (Personally hope not.)

Gotta love it when 3 bunts manufacture 5 runs, no?

My favorite play was Morneau rounding 3rd in all his blazing speed and beating an Ichiro throw to score!!!

I didnt get a chance to see the game on tv, but I was listning to it on the radio, when I heard justin rounding third, I though for sure it would have been an out! He isnt our best base runner you know!

Nathan has to be the closer. Who else would it be? If last night's outing for Neshek was an audition, I think its safe to say he blew it. The thing with Nathan is he is garbage in non-save situations. I don't know if he needs the pressure of a save or what, but he can't do it. Gardy needs to send him out there only for saves. He's pretty much lights out then. Besides, its early in the season and we're doing better than ok. Nathan will right himself.

Neshek is a good pitcher. Just had a bad outing. Nathan has a couple bad games and your calling for his head, man I screwed up at work once, but thank god some of you werent my job otherwise I wouldnt have a job. There is no way we should give up on a guy after a few subpar games. Look at Silva, no one wanted him around, but turns out he still has the stuff. Did leave one up the other night but still had a great outing. I think we are in good shape. It is going to be a fun year.

If Neshek is overexposed, he's useless. You need to play off his style and get 2-3 batters out and then get him out.

You explained Neshek perfectly. He's always had trouble with lefties until early this year, but that showed up again last night. If he was coming in to close games every lefty on the bench would be in there & every guy would eventually have faced him enough that he'd start to get hit more. By the way Ibanez was due, he's a good hitter & hadn't hit one out yet. At least it was in a game where we had the cushion.

Nathan's fine, he's just a bit like Aguilera & Radke were, when he misses it's often too good, not a wild pitch. It seems like every year he has a little bad stretch for a while, just like every other pitcher who's human.

I've got no problem with people saying he's had some poor outings back to back. I'm quite sure he's well aware of that too.

Replacing Nathan would be the dumbest thing the Twins could do. Hes now 5 for 5 in the saves category. It's early on in the season, and he could be a slow starter like Johan normally is. Santana normally doesn't throw his best stuff until June, but looks decent this year, but is giving up a few more runs than normal.

oh no, Mariano Rivera blew two consecutive saves, better get him outta there, he's washed up, send him to the minors, for god's sake don't let him close another game!

It's baseball, a LONG season. Closers aren't always going to be perfect, and i'm glad, becasue then we'd never have bottom of the ninth inning come from behind rallies.

No Way/No How do you replace Nathan, he does fine in saves just doesn't handle non save situations as well. Now Ponson on the other hand...I was all for giving him a chance, but wouldn't mind seeing Garza instead of him. smile.gif

Quote:

Nathan looked terrible striking out the side today
tongue.gif

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it... cool.gif

Mariano Rivera age 37 with a reconstructed elbow. His skills and body may have just deteriorated rather than him just being in a funk.

Joe Nathan age 32.

Joe Nathan as of today, 1-1 with 6 saves, 2 walks, 7 k's in 8 innings. Just exactly what are you looking for in a closer?

Bobby

I think he was wanting 1-0, 7 saves, 1 walk, and 8 Ks smile.gif

It's OK to always want more, but we have to be realistic. Nathan has set the bar very high. He has ten blown saves in three seasons. Only screwed up like twice last year, in a high pressure job. If a guy like Morneau or Hunter chokes, they usually get a chance to atone for their sins about 45 minutes later. Blow a save, you just made the sports page headline.

Like somebody else said. Rivera has blown it a couple times already this year. I don't think he and Nathan would have much trouble finding work if they were let go.

Getting rid of Nathan would make about as much sense as Kevin McHale winning the best GM in sports award.

LOL.... Nathan's the best closer in the game. Your dreaming if you think they will sit/get rid of him grin.gif

Quote:

LOL.... Nathan's the best closer in the game. Your dreaming if you think they will sit/get rid of him
grin.gif

what about Francisco Rodriguez?