• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was on my lake route today for work and noticed that Tamarac was completly open. Lizzie near the condos at Dun Villa was open for quite a ways were the river enters. LIttle Cormorant was still ice but very black and was more a slush than ice. I tossed some small stones out and they sank like quick sand, We get that rain like they are forcasting for Saturday and 70 degrees, I am sure you could have your boats out by sunday.

the south end of little detroit is wide open, with a few open spots further north. With 70 degree temps and a strong south wind, I think the ice may be off by tonight...

I'd say 80% of the lakes are open, and fishable. I took the kids out yesterday in search of some slabs. Only got one and 3 slimers. Open water season is here to stay laugh.gif

Drove by HOL and Cotton this morning. Both still had quite a bit of ice on them. Stopped by Fisherdog's spring spot this morning. Saw a couple of panfish caught along with a few walleyes and a couple of northerns. Bunch of suckers in there too. Might try my favorite shore spot tonight yet.

Snider, South Twin and North Twin are all open,(near Naytahwaush. It's time to start hunting for slabs. YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might make a run at it tonight. Yes open water is here to stay. I wonder if anyone does any actual sucker fishing this time of year. Man we used to have fun up North in the Rainy and Littlefork rivers when we were kids catching suckers. I imagine a guy could do the same in the Wild Rice River????????? Only one way to find out.

Im really hoping to get out sunday sometime if i can get all my stuff done before finals, i will need a break for sure. Got the new depth finder on the boat and i think it needs a trial run.

BTW Happy Birthday Paul!!

Crystal went off on Saturday, and looked like Lida was most of the way there as well.

I was working on my cabin on Crystal on Sat. so I watched it go out. Went in a hurry. When I got up there Friday night there was 20 yds of shore ice, a 20 yard strip of open water, then ice all the way across. Sat AM the shoreline ice was gone, there was open water out 100yds or so, and it was moving out all the time. Gradually got farther off shore throughout the morning. Around 2 there was still maybe 2/3 of the lake covered, and then it all just sank. Went from 2/3 covered to just a few bits here and there in an hour or so. Cool to watch.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Cicada, you'll have to tell me which spot you were referring too. You may also have to show me your favorite shore spot, I'll reciprocate laugh.gif. Stop over at work and say hello.

How about Pelican and big C -- my Brothers?

Minnow-Man -- What do you see?

last night-Mon, Big C was mostly covered yet. I was going to swing by tonight but was too busy. every other lake ive seen is open.

Pelican was open Monday. Fished near Zorbaz but not much going on. Big C. still had ice on the main lake but the south crappie bay was open. Caught 3 from the road along with a few sunnies and a fat bass. Great to be out.

Good to hear Pelican is finally open. I will be heading up friday morning to get the dock and boat in and catch some slabs. Sounds like they haven't turned on yet. Hopefully by the weekend they will. Any walleyes in Bucks Mill yet? Usually fun to see a couple of the big girls in there.

Yep I love the big girls. wink.gif

I was going to say more but we will leave it at that.

They get you every time. I might troll for a few of them at he bar later.

I heard there is a new place right by Zorbaz in that little motel. Any good? I hear they have liquor license now so they get a few more people in there.

Yep --

Zorbaz will be rockin this year with that new motel.

I can't wait for them to open. Nothing better than fishing all day and having a pizza after. -- They are programed into my cell -- I am not kidding.

well I will be at that bar in the hotel on saturday and likely friday. Maybe a game of pool at the Pub. If there is a black Tahoe in the lot I am there. Otherwise I will have the Crappie report posted on monday. A few people have told me they have been getting them on a few diferent lakes right before dark. Good fishing to all.

Quote:

Yep --

Nothing better than fishing all day and having a pizza after. -- They are programed into my cell -- I am not kidding.

I couldn’t agree more with ya! My wife and I love to Hit Zorbaz at least once a year...if not more....but we go to the one on Pine Lake near Perham. I grew up in Pelican and spent a lot of time at the one on Pelican Lake...so I like the change of view.

If you guys ever get sick of Pizza...may I suggest hitting Maple Beach Resort on Lida for the worlds best burgers. The resort is located on Hwy 108 near Stoney Bar...that is the part of Hwy 108 that divides North and South Lida. It’s a very little resort..like a whole in the wall. However, the burgers are HUGE and tasty. The onion rings are fantastic and you get a small mountain of them with the basic order. My wife and I enjoy taking the pontoon over to the resort and going for a run-about the lake while enjoying our burgers! I heard a rumor that this is the last year for Maple Beach Resort...so get out and try one of their burgers before its all gone.

Cliffy

I will have to try that. i have a cabin on Pelican and have never been on any of the surounding lakes. Maybe I will bass fish lida before the Muskie season heats up.

I do love a good burger.

Quote:

Maybe I will bass fish lida before the Muskie season heats up.

Now your talking my language brother. Once muskie season gets going my diet takes a change for the strange. Long days in the boat casting big pieces of wood can work up a big hunger....I seem to find myself staying in the boat all day..so bottles of water, cheesy crackers and store bought sandwiches become the norm from sun up to sunset.................not the best diet but I hate to get off the water when there is a CHANCE I might get the big girl to bite.

Cliffy.

If you fish Lida it is almost mandatory to stop and have a burger. It is one of the best burgers you will ever have. It will be too bad if they close after this year. Theres getting to be less and less of those mom and pop places around anymore.

Cliffy --

I need to spend a little more time at Lida this year -- it is a great lake. Where is the resort from the access?

If you launch from the North access you need to travel across the lake and hang a right (west) when you past the island. Or, just go across the lake to Stoney Bar and follow the shoreline west,north west, past the only gas pump on the lake..and its just down the shore from there. Trust me, if you get within 200 yards, you will smell the burgers...and see people sitting around outside on the picnic tables grin.gifgrin.gif.

I couldn't agree more cliffy! those burgers, fries, and onion rings are excellent. Don't p*&^% the cook off though, he is a great guy but works way too hard! Kinda edgy!

I didn't know you could get gas on that lake -- do they have bait too?

How long before they are forced to sell into condos?

I hate that.

Do they have a nice beach? good for kids? Website?

Help me, my Brother.

The gas pump I was talking about is not part of the Maple Beach resort..just at the end of a dock near the resort...swipe you credit card and go...you will pay thru the nose but its easy.

Maple Beach does sell bait...that is where I get my worms and leeches when I am on Lida.

They have a pretty nice little sandy beach...I see parents with their kids there all the time....this isnt a BIG resort by any means...so keep your eyes open.

No web-site that I could find...but pulled this off the web after a basic google search:

MAPLE BEACH RESORT

Owners: Ann & Gene Davis

Lida

23532 St. Hwy. 108

Pelican Rapids, MN 56572

(218) 863-5248

Family-friendly fishing resort. 10 mod., cozy, clean, 1950's era, HSK. Cabins. Store, swimming beach, boats, motors & kayak rentals. Lida offers walleyes, bass, northerns, crappies & sunnies. Nearby Maplewood State Park has trout & muskie. Quality service. Pets welcome.

Just got back from the lake. Im done with the crappies and ready for Muskie season. Its hard to even think about the other fish in the lake when you see a good 20 decent fish out there just cruizing around. Did catch a few smaller slabs though. About a thousand bass too. You cant keep them off the hook.