• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shore Fishing??

tacklebox7FF

I know someone from Richmond and he's seen some people shore fishing for crappies...anyone getting any?

I was out yesterday around the Richmond area.

There were quite a few shore fishing people around, some catching a few, others keeping everything they catch.

As for me, I kept only enough for a meal, all other fish were released.

I really wish more people would release the bigger crappies and gills, so we all can enjoy better fishing year after year. smirk.gif

I ended up calling the tip line after what I noticed at one location! blush.gif

Don't know if they were caught or not, but keep your eyes and ears open this time of year, turn in those meat hogs!

I was thinking the same thing Skeets. I think panfish should be protected in the spring like game fish. Keep an eye out and hopefully the poacher will get what they deserve. I am also frustrated when I see numerous people throwing rapalas and big plastic baits this time of the year and catching walleye after walleye.

hey now, there is nothing wrong with throwing rap.s right now. mind, you know that a small chartuse floating raps catches the big sunnies. same with plastics...live baits going to be a thing of the past with advancments in plastic technology. i throw a 1inch plastic munchie rigt now, cuz thats what happends to be working. its not, mine/ anybodys if you happend to catch a pike in the shallows, or a walleye laying up under a log in 3ft of water.in the spring, they are hungry just like the other fish !!!

baitshopboy-

Flowage Tamer is talking about the Mississippi.

I have fished the river with Flowage since we were 10 years old and can count on one hand the number of sunnies I have seen caught down there on rapalas or plastics larger than 2 inches--ACTUALLY, I haven't seen a single sunny caught in that manner.

These people are fishing for game species before the season opens because the fish are biting. WHY HAVE A FISHING OPENER IF PEOPLE CAN FISH FOR THEM IN APRIL? We practice C&R almost exclusively on the river so maybe we should just do as the masses do and go down there for walleye and smallies right now. Afterall, we aren't keeping them anyways right???

When someone is casting crankbaits and large plastics, catching predominantly walleyes and smallmouth with the occasional northern, they are breaking the law. Period.

Figure it out.

SA/wdw

Exactly, in no way, shape or form are they fishing for panfish/carp/catfish. They are tossin big crank baits and 4 in. googlies targeting game fish exclusively. Its a complete joke and totally illegal.

We were on the river and a DNR came down to check licenses and bait. He sent two kids to the store to buy an up to date licence and 2" power minnows that we were using. They were tossing 5" worms and lizards. The DNR must have been in a good mood or just explained the rules because they were young. So if you are targeting these fish with big bait, they are out looking and I have a hard time seeing them be that nice to anyone over 20.

good to hear alwaysfishin

I have no problem with them letting the kids off with a stern warning, but an adult should know better and should be fined.

I tried 5 different lakes in the richmond area this week, fishing from the public accesses had no luck with crappie caught mainly small sunfish and the occasional largemouth that wanted to eat our wax worm

How warm is the water in the shallows down there?? I thought about coming down on saturday and crappie fishin>???

Any suggestions for places to fish cats from shore this time of year (with regards to the Horsehoe Chain)or are you pushing a rope and better off hitting a river?

Does clearwater or any other lake within 15 minutes from there have a fishing pier...or at least good shorelines for fishing? I'm not worried about size quality, just quantity to keep the kids happy.

SJU70

I assume you're a Johnnie. What year? I graduated in 2003.

Im a freshman, class of '10. Im from Illinois and am trying to figure out the best places around to fish.

Quote:

Im a freshman, class of '10. Im from Illinois and am trying to figure out the best places around to fish.

Send me an e-mail. The address is in my profile.