• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Bite

PaulB

Just looking for a little input. I have two dogs, one lab about 2 1/2 years and one lab/mix about 6 months. They like to growl and "wrestle" and generally play like I assume all dogs do (first dogs I've had as a grownup). The other day the little one's collar got stuck on one of the big dog's teeth while they were tussling and he started making the most godawful noises. Big dog was trying to back away but the collar got twisted. So I jump in to try to get it off and the little one bit me a couple times. Nothing serious, a little blood and some bruises. Thor has never bit anyone else is always very gentle around people. I figure he was just scared to death (even dropped a little doo-doo on the carpet) and thought I was attacking him too or maybe he was really trying to bite the other dog. My real question is should I be worried this will happen again under different circumstances? Thanks for wading thru the long winded story.

My personal feeling, after having dogs most of my life, is that he was probably scared and or hurt and it was more of a protective reflex. Especially if you are not sure if he might have been trying to get your other dog. I would treat this like and isolated freak thing, If he were to keep displaying that type of aggresion in the future then you might have a problem. I have seen dogs that would never bite a soul get hurt and the second someone tried to move them they started to snap at bite. Hopefully you will never see this happen again.

I'm far from a 'biting dog' expert... but I generally would worry about unprovoked bites. This one doesn't sound like it was 'unprovoked'. Seems like your dog reacted to something that had it scared and confused. If your descibing the events accuratley, I'd say it was just acting out of it's fight or flight reflexes. It chose fight for self preservation. Just keep an eye on him. If it was/is a true problem, it will manifest itself again...

On a side not, I wouldn't let them get too involved in play fighting though... that does teach poor manners with other dogs and people. I've seen dogs who aggressivley wrestle with each other turn out to be fairly aggressive with other dogs too. They can have fun without letting them have free will in the "fighting" and "wrestling".

Good Luck!

Ken

If my dog bit me or anyone else (unless a theif or something extreme like that) I would be digging a hole 5 minutes later. I love my dog but the worry of it happenning again or someone trying to take away everything I own because my dog bit them isn't worth it to me.

It's a natural reflex for the dog. Don't worry about it.. It was scared that's why it poo-pooed on the floor.

The exact same thing happened to me and my two dogs about 8 years ago...wresting and the collar got caught on the dogs two bottom teeth then he twisted, so it was strangling the other dog...of course the harder they tried to get free the worse it made it for both of them...I got down, calmed them both down and had to literally flip the one dog over then cut the collar off because it was so tight. They never wore collars again while in the house. I don't want to think of what would have happened had I not been home. I wouldn't worry about it, by dads dog, normally a very gentle dog nipped at him the other day while he was trying to get something caught around the "private" region of his male setter.

Well I'm reassured that this is not a sign of a developing problem. Honestly the little guy has been great. Very affectionate and people friendly. I have started taking both dogs collars off in the house, and trying to cut down on some of the more aggressive play. I'm just not sure how much "wrestling" is necessary for them to sort out their place in the pack, so to speak. Little guy is getting neutered next week. I wonder how that will impact their interaction. Thanks for the replies.

My dogs would wrestle or play like described also. They are both over three now and it hasn't been a problem in a long time. I too had to lift and flip one of my dogs once before to get them disconnected. I never did any strong consistent training to make them stop this playing. Not really sure why they stopped playing like that, maybe it was just a puppy thing.

I would suggest going collarless when possible. When collars are on, have them on as tight as comfortably possible. So as to make it less likely that a dog can get under the collar.

Of course discouraging them from playing like this is also a good idea. After stopping them I would try and get them playing in some other way.

This sorta thing happens every now and then. Ever try to pick up a badly injured dog to rush it for treatment? They'll get crazy. Lets all remain calm. And PLEASE never overreact by digging a hole five minutes later if your dog accidentally nips you! Most of these animals worship you and the LAST thing they want to do is harm you-in any way. frown.gif

I was 10 or so years old setting gopher trap out at my grandpa's field. He had a German Shepard. Well just before I was ready to put the trap in the hole the dog stepped in it. (Stuipid Me) He was yelping and whinning like nothing I had ever heard before. Being that age I thought he was going to die or lose a leg or something. I was scared of getting bit but didn't care because all I wanted to do was help him. When I started taking the trap off he put his mouth around my arm. I jumped and pulled back and tried again. He put his mouth around my arm again but I just kept on going. Never once did he put pressure on my arm, no broken skin, just a lot of fear in me and saliva on my arm. This dog was not my dog, it didn't worship me, yet didn't bite me and look at the pain I put it in. Now you have a dog who loves his master and yet bit him. IMO their is no excuse for biting good people. EVER!!

Slotlimit, I think unless you where there it is hard for anyone to say anything about the bite. He even stated that the dog may have thought he was biting the other dog. An Agressive dog is one thing, a scared/injured dog is another matter altogether. I have a young child at home and would never have an aggressive or biting dog. At the same time I wouldn't write the dog off unless I was sure he did it intentionally. At least for me they are a part of the family and not something I can get rid of. I recently purchased a new pup. This is my third dog in my life and hopefully this one has just as long and happy of a life as the last two. grin.gif

Matt,

You are very correct. I'm not telling this guy what he has to do. I'm stating what I would do. Like I said before I have loved every dog I have ever owned. They have never bit me or anyone else and I'm sure 90% of other dogs are the same. I have 2 young children and I don't care if they were beating the dog with a shovel. If he bit them he would be done and the kids would get a dang good spanking. Most dogs would just run away from young kids being mean. One bite is to many IMO whether the dog is 1 year old or 10 years old.