• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The ice is off the beaver pond on the end of Daisy Bay. So if this was a normal year, it would mean that the rest of the lake should be clear by April 27th. But this is nowhere near a regular year. I was on the ice with a 4 wheeler cleaning up some brush from a tree I cut down on Sunday afternoon. It is open water there now. I think we are going to see things happen quicker than normal. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Thats good news. Im getting a little cabin fever already. Now we just need to hope for a lot of rain.

Does anyone feel there is much of a chance of ice out by next weekend April 27th? I would be driving from Timbukto to Frazer Bay

Thanks

Little bit premature to guess but if I had to bet, I would say that it should be open. I will try to keep this tread updated on the ice condition and I am just east of Fectos Point.

could happen with alot of wind...warm and wind add up to water....always have to look for some ice floes though if you go out near ice out...they can give you a good bump for sure.....some are camoed by the chop or the water....just something to think about.....

I give it less then a week if everything holds like it is now. Hard to say for sure though. It would help if it stayed above freezing over night. Supposed to rain this weekend so that will help alot. Its just wait and see.

The small bays are starting to clear. Had to go to Duluth today and everything south of Virginia that I saw was open. Pike Bay is open from the river across to the houseboats and to the north side of the bay. Tommorrow it should start opening up towards Aronsons. Greenwood Bay is starting to look like it will fall apart. Suppose to be windy and warm with chance of rain and or thunderstorms. Will keep this as current as I can. I will try to get some pictures up for those that are far away.

Checked Pike Bay around Duffy's Island yesterday and the ice looked very thin and wad all honeycombed mush ice.

It won't be long now for Pike Bay to open! laugh.gif

Big Bay is usually 1 week later!

Cliff

iceout2007004.jpg This is a picture looking into Frazer Bay from our place. If you look at the center, you should see a pile of ice the pushed up on a little island just north of the east end of Gold Island. There was a pressure ridge that was just east of this island running south across Frazer Bay. So somewhere out there, there is a pretty good crack and once that gets to moving back and forth, things will start happening.

iceout2007002.jpg is a picture looking south into Greenwood Bay. This should be pretty well open by the end of today of the wind keeps up. This should give you an idea as to how things are progressing. Unfortunately and fortunately it is cloudy and started the day out rainy. Only .02 in so far but any is better than none.

Greenwood progressing nicely. 2 good sized chunks of water open off of Fectos Point. End of Daisy Bay falling apart with pieces moving every which way. Thunderstorms in the area. All is good

Because Greenwood is so shallow, does the ice form all the way to the bottom???

I am sure back in the back of the bay it does. I know they spear northerns in the main channel. Not sure about the rest of the bay that runs in the 3-4 ft range.

are the other area lakes going fast also? wondering specifically bout eagles nest chain?

i don't know personally but maybe someone else can chime in with a report...

In your opinion shamrock, does the lack of snow make it go out faster than if there was normal snowfall? just curious what you guys think?

minnowd,

I am at the nest now, the bay is totaly out, area toward the river should be out tonight. The rain did the trick last night.

Some small fish are moving into the shallows, a little warm sun should get things going.

Backwoods grin.gif

Thats good to hear Backwoods. Won't be long and the elusive crappie will be hiding in Black Bay. Can't wait to come chase them again this year. Its always fun and can be really fun when you find them.

I don't know. No PhD in Physics. Your have several factors. When you have little snow and normal temps, you get thick ice so it takes longer to melt. When you have lots of snow, you get less ice so it melts faster. Last year, along my ice road, the banks were heavy and when the ice started going the area where the banks were opened very early. So, to answer your question, I DON'T HAVE THE FOGGIEST IDEA confused.gif ... But it is foggy this morning

FYI,

Just got of the dock, just in time befor the dog and I soked. It's coming down good, with last few days of rain we should be out of the fire issue for a while at least.

Going to need a lot more rain to bring the lake level up to where it was last spring.

Good news, did manage to catch this years first open water fish, they went back for another day. The fishing God is good.

Backwoods

Crappies or What? Im hoping this rain brings up the water a bit. We havent got as much rain down here just some yesterday morning but its pouring down pretty good now.

another 1/2 in of rain Sunday afternoon. Every little bit helps.

Pics from Greenwood bay.

Boats2002.jpg

Boats2003.jpg

Boats2001.jpg

This last one is looking out towards Fectos point off the end of bradley Rd. If you look at the picture really closely you can see the ice piled ontop of the ice in the center of the pic.

Boats2004.jpg

for those of us down south in Iowa...thanks for the pictures and updates... cool.gif

I don't get this excited about Christmas anymore...

Hey, lkvrmln-NilesBay, are you my buddy in the Warrior with the dogs?

Silver Scale, thanks for the pictures from Retreat, we are around the corner from there and the view of the channel makes me too excited to sleep!

yes I am....

sad news though...the Warrior has been sold, just picked up a new Lund this past weekend. The dogs are doing fine...I will be up opener weekend...usual spots!!! All good with you?

Quote:

are the other area lakes going fast also? wondering specifically bout eagles nest chain?

I talked to a guy yesterday who said that Eagles Nest #3 was clear and that #1 and #2 were around 1/2 clear of ice.

Cliff