• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sun is out im goin out to my favorite crappie hole?

South_Metro_Slayer

Quote:

will u be on some kids fishing pond u fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha.. funny. I will be outta the Metro area completely when I say NW Minnesota. Your local Crappie & panfish kid drainage ponds are where I spend my lunch break only to help past the time. I graduated from N,S,W,E Metro Slab Slayer school like 15yrs ago. I actually spend most of my time fishing Rivers now.

I like that(Metro slab slayer school). I tell u what its hard 2 catch ten 10 inch slabs in one outing in the south metro, but it can be done. U do that you graduate with high honors.

I shouldve taken a picture of the gut. Probably 2 1/2 to 3 inches across. Yes, those ones are 12 inches and Yes, they went 1lb. Weighed them myself. Yes, the very first night I caught 2 that were bigger. No, Im not going to tell anybody where the "secret" lake is. Yes, Im eating them tonight. No, no grounding-up-into-fish-balls grin.gif And No, I dont really care if I can post pictures up or not, because I know a lake in the metro area that holds 1lb crappies and maybe even bigger. Im an avid CPR guy, but I didnt know how sensitive an issue it was to keep a couple crappies for dinner. I dont know about you guys, but I dont like to eat my crappies when theyre still alive. 1lb crappies FTWWW!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Landed a 13" Papermouth on a SW Metro Lake last week. Does that make me Veledictorian? hehehe grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

They look like they came from Lakeville...

Now we know where you get your Slabs from... LOL tongue.gif

I think those Crappies came from drainage ponds... joking grin.gif

Andy, noooooooo! my secrets out. I guess thats why theyre so big. Maybe I shoulde taken the picture of the 3rd eye that was coming out of its side.

Unfortunately that was not their gut. It was eggs. I prefer to take those 8"er's so I know they will be there next year. It just kills me to see the posts from people saying "what happened to this lake, there is no fish in it anymore?". Not ranting, just voicing my opinion.

Quote:

Unfortunately that was not their gut. It was eggs. I prefer to take those 8"er's so I know they will be there next year. It just kills me to see the posts from people saying "what happened to this lake, there is no fish in it anymore?". Not ranting, just voicing my opinion.

Yes, that was wrong of me to take those crappies. It clearly states in the DNR Regulations book:

"According to Rule 45677.AB-99G.shh.com.org All crappies 12 inches and weigh 1 lb must be immediatley returned to the water. Keeping them will result in a citation from the DNR officer who is hidden in camoflauged sniper gear 300 yards northeast of where youre standing right now watching you with binochulars. Please take the 6 inchers and make fish balls out of them." grin.gif

A simple "Nice fish dude." wouldve done. Feel free to voice your opinions, no problem with that. But next time, if you think your comments will ruffle some feathers, please keep them to yourself. Ive noticed a lot of that happens in this forum. But its cool. Im a big boy. Get your shots in while you can, eh? This doesnt really change the fact that I know a metro lake that holds 1lb+ crappies and Ill keep an occasional 2 or 3 for dinner.

But I see where youre coming from though. I went yesterday and caught nothing. I had to stop and think to myself "what happened to this lake, there is no fish in it anymore" I must have cleaned it dry. shocked.gif

There are many lakes in the metro that holds 1lb crappie. You just have to go digging around. For one, Minnetonka has grips loads of 1lb schools right now. You just have to do a lot of lurking and searching. There is no special go to bait either, plain ol Jig n Minnow will catch all the crappies you want. I would say though south metro has many more lakes that you can find 11"-13" crappies regularly during this hot spring season. I would name a few but people would be po'd about giving away locations. Stick the basics and you will find slabs gurantee'd! I don't understand why people keep saying this lake is fished out etc... I tried a lake Monday where people said has been fished out and still managed a few 11" and plenty of 8-10"ers. They just weren't in their usual spawning area...but you will find them elsewhere. Good luck.

Will probably go out tonight and take a few pics to show as some proof.

Looks like the top one is closer to 10 inches, and the bottom one probably starts at the 1.25" mark, so it's probably 10 and 3/4... When you measure fish, you usually line their tales up with the beginning of the tape measure, not from the 1 or 2 inch line.

nice try.

Quote:

Looks like the top one is closer to 10 inches, and the bottom one probably starts at the 1.25" mark, so it's probably 10 and 3/4... When you measure fish, you usually line their tales up with the beginning of the tape measure, not from the 1 or 2 inch line.

nice try.

Yeah, silly me. I forgot you were there to witness the measurement with me.

Let me guess...... you havent been catching jack squat this year huh? Figures.

TIP, I find it funny that you accused me of ruffling feathers. It seems like it is your favorite thing to do! I was just stating a fact. And, if I remember right I said it was just MY OPINION. Take what you will out of it. It WAS NOT a personal attack. You must be feeling a little guilty if you thought it was. If you come on here with a chip on your shoulder, you better be able to take it. I have read a lot of your replies lately and you do like to mess with people. To end, I don't remember saying a thing about breaking any laws or anything about fishballs. You keep dragging that into every reply.

Quote:

Yeah, silly me. I forgot you were there to witness the measurement with me.

Let me guess...... you havent been catching jack squat this year huh? Figures.

TIP, I am going to take a guess and say that you are still under the age of 18. If you aren't you are still acting like an inmature kid. Someone just gave you their opinion that they would have released those fish becuase they are full of eggs. If you don't like their opinion then don't listen to it. But be an adult about it, don't just accuse people of being jealous. If someone on here is jealous over 2 crappies under 11 inches long then its their problem.

And it is pretty obvious from the picture that the fish are smaller then you say, we all know how to read a tape measure.

And you guys wonder why I come on here with a chip on my shoulder?

I love this forum. smile.gif

And no, Im still not telling anybody where this lake is. confused.gif

these posts r suppose to be about the sun and my favorite crappie hole, not a buch of grown men takin shots at each other, u guys r lame who gives a crap that he kept a few crappies, like u all never have kept a few. I myself love to eat crappies and sunfish and i to will take a few bigguns out every once and a while, oh yeah I spend thousands and thousands of dollars a year on fishing crap, all is taxed, so I will be keeping a few fish to eat.

Guys guys.. lets get back on the subject. smirk.gif

This weekend im gonna go out and slaughter some slabs and im sure their going to be in the 10-14inch range. I haven't kept any this year yet but this weekend im gonna keep my limit and have a nice fish fry... grin.gif

oh yeah, I did pretty good last night at my favorite crappie hole caught eight hogs, kept three. Biggest one was 11 1/2 let her go.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they tasted so good.

Once again a guy is beat up on here for posting his opinion. All I said is most people release fish full of eggs. I have never kept any crappies over 9" and sunnies over 8". I don't have a single fish mounted on the wall. I have caught crappies up to 17", but I don't have the heart to harvest them. I can go out and find a few 8" crappies for dinner anytime. To go out and find a 12" crappie will be harder and harder every year. And by the way, I fish 200 days a year and spend thousands of dollars too, I just choose to selective harvest. It is hard to bad talk that. I think most of the field staff on here would agree with me, to keep a healthy fishery you must release the larger fish. I am not againist a trophy fish for the wall. I just like the smaller guys for the pan. And yes I do eat fish often.

Quote:

Once again a guy is beat up on here for posting his opinion. All I said is most people release fish full of eggs. I have never kept any crappies over 9" and sunnies over 8". I don't have a single fish mounted on the wall. I have caught crappies up to 17", but I don't have the heart to harvest them. I can go out and find a few 8" crappies for dinner anytime. To go out and find a 12" crappie will be harder and harder every year. And by the way, I fish 200 days a year and spend thousands of dollars too, I just choose to selective harvest. It is hard to bad talk that. I think most of the field staff on here would agree with me, to keep a healthy fishery you must release the larger fish. I am not againist a trophy fish for the wall. I just like the smaller guys for the pan. And yes I do eat fish often.

Sometimes you just gotta let it be. We all know selective harvesting is best. Understand that if you voice your opinion others will voice theirs too on this forum.

But hey look on the bright side he only kept a few and not his limit. That should say plenty. So don't worry about it... cool.gif

If TIP wants to keep a few fish it's his right to and we should not be on his case about it. A couple of 10 or 11" female crappies aren't going to tip the scales (very bad pun!) in either direction. I myself do not keep any females that still have eggs no matter the size and am very hesitant to keep anything much over 10". In my case Minnetonka holds a million 8 to 9" crappies that I can get all I want for a dinner. Even the smaller lakes hold more crappies than you think - take an Aqua View out sometime. Those schools are BIG. Selective harvest is espoused by this forum not C&R only (except I think ALL green carp should be made into fish cakes but that's my opinion) Just think about the body of water you are fishing and act accordingly. The fact is not every body water will produce big panfish and harvesting a few fish actually helps the overall size. We all know about lakes that contain nothing but potato chip gills (Tonka for the most part) and scads of 4" perch (Tonka again). So get back to fishing, post photos if you want and have fun.

NIIIIIICEEEE........been busy at work lately...haven't got out. 11 1/2 is a good size for metro. Sun is out today...I was thinking about hitting a west metro lake. Ill tell yall how I do. Happy jiggin!

look for two guys in a canoe, and you find my secret creappie hole

Hi MarkStanley:

Thats a HUGE walleye on your icon pic. Whats the story? im dying to hear it. grin.gif

Quote:

Sometimes you just gotta let it be. We all know selective harvesting is best. Understand that if you voice your opinion others will voice theirs too on this forum.

Andy, That's exactly what I was saying. I was saying I would have never kept them. I did not say anywhere it was illegal or wrong for him to kept those crappies as others have mentioned. The thing that ticks me off is that he brought fish patties and other stuff up that I did not even mention in my post! Good luck fishing everyone, cause that's where I will be! This internet thing is overrated.

slayer, you wanna give us some GPS coordinates so we know where to look for the two guys in a canoe? wink.gif

sure, I know the hole, he showed me last week

GPS cordinates are

N 46 46 944

W 92 01 599

cool.gif

WOW!!! That is my honey hole too! So it was you guys out there in the other canoe!

I pulled up a 33" and a 42" crappie there last summer.

Quote:

Hi MarkStanley:

Thats a HUGE walleye on your icon pic. Whats the story? im dying to hear it.
grin.gif

That's a Pool 4 walleye weighed 13.3 lbs. Caught it pitching ringworms to shallow water. My big one to date but I am going to break 15lbs someday even if I have to head for the Columbia River to do it.

Mark S:

Whoa! Awesome fish still! I used to live in Portland, Oregon actually, the Columbia was my home waters. Awesome river, I know that 20 pounder? came outta there not too long ago. I was usaully Salmon and Sturgeon fishing though. Good luck to you and I hope you land that "one"! grin.gif

I've done the sturgeon thing out there on the Snake in Idaho- biggest was just a hair over 7ft probably 100lbs I'd guess. Still in awe over those fish - especially when a fish that size comes flying out of water.