• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anybody been out recently. I'll be coming home this weekend and looking to hit a few of the lakes. Usually head to Shields or Mazaska. How are the water levels, shields still real low? And any action? Lookin to hit a few crappies.

If no one has been out, then hopefully i'll be bringing back some good news.

Im avoiding Shields this year. I got a new boat and I think shes too big for that shallow launch.

I have not been on Mazazska yet though. Just French and Kelly/Dudley. Both pretty slow due to water temps, but you should have some good luck this wekeend. Temps should be above 50.

Good luck! And let me know how Mazaskas doing! I will probably be out there on Sunday.

I hit Shields this past Tuesday. Water was still cold, and I didn't find any crappies shallow. I marked one large school in 16 feet of water, they were from 9 to 12 feet down and were not interested in biting.

Mazaska water level is fairly high - more like 'normal' for spring water levels. I'm glad to see it rebound after the low levels of last fall. As for the fishing, I haven't been out in a boat yet and shore fishing was non-existent the last time I was there (about a week ago). With the warmer weather this week, that should change fairly quickly.

We were out today, actually in the Waterville area & only found a few active bass in the hopeful crappie spots & no crappies. Must still be deeper. I pitched my jig & minnow up next to some old rushes, & saw a fish come up & nail it, the fight was on, turned out to be about a 6 lb. carp! That was a first. Alot of fun on the ultra light, though. All in all, a good day on the water. Nothing like the first foat of the year. Water was 49-51 degrees, L2f

The fish are there. But they are picky. It's live bait or nothing. As the water warms up they will hit them plastics.

You can throw all the jigs & spinners you want and will catch nothing but as soon as you hook on that crappie minnow.. BAM!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out today in the Fbo area? I was fishing Tonka today, tons of crappies...Heading out on to Kelly/Dudley in the am.

Well if Bass season was open I woulda had a great day...

4 - 3 to 4 + lb bass.

6 smaller crappies.

Good thing i brought home my limit from Minnetonka on Saturday or I'da starved tonight.

I found the most fish in 2 to 3 feet of water..bass and crappies. Minnow was the ticket. Nothing liked worms.

Water temp was 63.2.

Shhhhh.. a lil secret.....

...I used a red hook. The others in my boat used plain hooks...and were skunked. Even with their line next to mine.

Made out on Shields on Friday, 4/27. We stopped in Shieldsville to pick up some bait. The report on the wall said the crappies were biting on Phelps and Cody near the Big Steer. However, i wanted to get on shields.

Water levels were about average for this time of year. We started on the NW bay/inlet. Throwing out jigs with minnows or plastics in 3 - 7 fow, didn't have much luck. A few small crappies pulled out. Started to troll along the north shoreline near down trees and docks, no bites. Then jumped to the island, drifted just outside the weedline with little luck. So we trolled with in the weedline and dropped some bobbers inside the weeds and we pulled out a few crappies that were 10-11". Surface water temps were 58*. Left the water at 1:30. Together, we caught about a dozen crappies, but released them all.

A few other boats out there, but everyone was moving around and didn't see many landing any fish.

Quote:

Well if Bass season was open I woulda had a great day...

Didn't catch any, but when we were on the island, saw over a dozen huge bass.

Took the wife and kids out on Mazazska tonight after work. The kids and I got skunked, wife landed 1 hammer handle and lost 3 other fish (slimeys), and one of my new flu flus....

Fished mainly in 3 to 8 feet of water. Temps at 59.5 through out the lake.

She was tipping the flu flu with a minnow and slow casting.

Kids and I were bobber and minnow.

Was out on Shields last night. Couldn't keep the little bass off, but couldn't find any crappies or sunnies. Really windy, the water temps in the low 60's. Then to really bum me out, I hit the dock wheel with my trailer and broke the lens cap on one of the lights. frown.gif

THERE ARE SOME SLABS TO BE CAUGHT OUT THERE JUST TAKE A PEAK AT MY AVATAR, THEY WERE CAUGHT ON SHIELDS ON SUNDAY BEETWEEN 1:00 AND 4:00 AND WE RELEASED JUST AS MANY ARM YOUR SELF WITH A PAIR OF POLARIZED SPECTACLES AND ASK YOUR SELF WHERE WOULD YOU SPAWN IF YOU WERE A CRAPPIE grin.gif GO SEAK OUT THESE AREAS BY FIRST VISUALLY LOOKING FOR BEDS AND YOU WILL LIKLEY SEE THEM. THEN GIVE IT A FEW MINUTES LET-EM HAVE IT wink.gif

I know this is a newbie question, but what does a spawn bed look like? I don't have much experience with panfish.

more or less a depression in the lake bottom in 1-4 feet of water some times theres one here or one there this is usaully the cas for largemouth but there may be as many as 50 or more in an area for sunfish and crappies.somecases it will look like a circle of gravel or rock there may be a stick or log near nows the time to see for yourself. heck i bet if you google images you'll probally find some photos