• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

food plot prep

Nova

I was told to do a PH test. Should I consider this or go ahead and get some lime for the area? I'm planning on planting mostly clover, and some turnips.I did not know this had to start getting complicated, but I don't want to plant all this seed and then have it not turn out.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• BLACKJACK

• Nova

• Cooter

Maybe just go with annual for now, plant the turnips now and maybe some oats or rye in fall. Lime takes a while to raise the pH anyways. A good bet might be to put down the lime now and plant those annuals, then next spring you can go with the clover or whatever. I grew decent crops of turnips and rye on 5.6 pH soil.

Yep a good food plot is a fair amount of planning and work! Baiting isn't.

A good food plot increases the lands carrying capacity of deer and makes them healthier and stronger... year round. Better does, better fawns and better bucks.

We do not hunt over our food plots. The big plots are right on our main trail(s) so we can enjoy seeing the deer... we also seed all of our trails into clover... the deer utilize all of them for feed. We do have some small plots in the woods by where we hunt, but generally we hunt away from them, usually where several trails interesect going to them... I don't find that many bucks hit the food plots during daylight hours so it's best to hunt them back in the woods. I find the way we do food plots no different than the way guys hunt deer in ag. areas or in areas with a high acorn drop... but we put a lot of sweat equity into what we do... not to increase our kill or make it easier, but to have a healthy herd. ANd yes we shoot a lot of healthy does... we aren't just horn hunters (though they are nice! grin.gif) I look at baiting as the easy way out. Dump out a pile of corn or beets and wait for your deer.

Is using doe in heat scent baiting then? How about hunting over a scrape line? All these are attractants that are the demise of many a big buck.

I think we need to keep 'baiting' in it's proper context...

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks....I have been going to do this for years...just didn't know how to go about it. This site has been very helpful. Our stand is not directly over the food plot, however where my family but the inclosed stand, there isn't any food around, so we are trying to make it into a trail between the food and the woods. I just cut the 1/2 acre this weekend for the first time in 20 years. Added some fertizer and lime, now I will see what that brings, then in the fall, I'll rake it and put down the Easyplot. It seems that all the fields around us ( within 4 - 8 miles} where I see deer when traveling around are all green. Our's is overgrown and very dry, there are usually lots of beds, but no deer during the early am or evening.

BFT, i think you are making a lot of misinformed and even foolish statements about food plots and baiting. Not sure if you're trolling or if that's the way you really feel.

I'd say this about a couple of your points .....

You asked about the difference between planting pumpkins and hauling them out from your garden. In this regard there is the big difference between food plots and baiting - the planted food is there for the deer and other wildlife 24/7 until it's gone, regardless of hunting season or not, regardless of whether you are there or not. In contrast the pumpkins you dumped are presumably where you are hunting while you are hunting. I think that's a substantial difference, especially when you talk about food plots that are measured in acres vs. a couple of pumpkins.

You also refered multiple times to "steriods" and "antler growth products" that make the record books irrelevant. This is misguided on your part. High quality nutritious food and mineral supplements do no more than provide a balanced diet and vitamins and minerals, and that provides substantial benefits to the wildlife, just the same as you get when you eat a healthy diet and take a daily vitamin. There are no deer growth hormones or steriods out there that I'm aware of. Actually, a lot of the so-called mineral supplements are little more than salt (an attractant, not an antler growth product) and are sold more on marketing hype than on merit. More than anything else you need age to grow large antlers - shoot young bucks and you'll never have big bucks, regardless of what you're doing or not doing with mineral supplements.

One other point I would make is that food plots are often part of a total land managment scheme that we like to do. Without question some people plant food plots solely for the purpose of trying to harvest more deer or bigger deer, but food plots alone are not going to accomplish that with any frequency (and neither is baiting). Like many others, I plant food plots for both year round nutrition and for attraction during the hunting seasons, I maintain the native vegetation to benefit wildlife, and I do supplemental plantings of trees to aid wildlife. I think that does a lot more for the wildlife --- and for me in terms of personal satisfaction ---- than baiting.

There is one more distinction I want to make. I plant several food plots every year, and I hunt over or near some of them but don't hunt over all of them --- even though they are attracting and feeding wildlife. How many baiters put out bait and then don't hunt over it - I'd guess not very many? How many baiters have bait out there in the early spring and fawn rearing season - I'd guess not many? How many continue to bait / feed the deer after they're done hunting for the year - I'd guess not many? I think there is a ton of difference and distinction there between food plots and baiting -- maybe you don't see it the same way but I have no doubt in my mind that I am not baiting by planting food plots.

I'd also like to go visit the discussion of anyone who has those nice stands on stilts out along those big "feedlots". Also known as croplands.

What the heck is the difference if I plant a few acres specifically for wildlife, versus all those who hunt over many many acres of crops that the deer utilize for nutritional benefit??? Some years those fields have standing unharvested crops.

There are untold numbers of hunters in the field every year that use farmers fields for scouting and setting up stands to intercept deer using those fields.

I gaurantee you there is MUCH more tonnage of feed in an 80 acre field thats been harvested, versus my plots that I let stand all year.

Here is the way I see all this.

We have 120 acres. Of that, we have chosen NOT to rent out all the potential acreage that could be farmed. We have instead decided that taking that acreage and managing it specifically for wildlife is better.

We have acreage in CRP, we have planted trees, we have permanently retired all the wetlands so that they can NEVER again be drained or disturbed, we continue to work with our DNR forestry to remove as much invasive species of brush/trees as we can, etc, etc. AND we have food plots.

Bottom line.........

We could have chosen to rent out a good chunk of our land to a local farmer and set up stands to utilize those crops to better our hunting opportunity, but we didnt. We have chosen the route that we want to better the entire property for the enjoyment of not just hunting and harvesting animals. I have found myself spending an incredible amount of time on that property spring, summer, fall and winter as we continue to strive to make it a better place.

And that better place isnt just making the wildlife happy. Its really been a bonding experience for me, my Dad and my son, and many more family members.

So say plots are baiting. In my eyes, our plots are a very small piece of the puzzle.

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Thats why I dont think my plots are baiting. My plots are a small part of a big picture.

If anyone wants to come on out and see what we have done, come one, come all. I am very proud of what we have done. laugh.gif

Now it sounds like you all think i'm against food plots , I'm not ! I'm just wondering where you draw the line between baiting , and food plots ? Heres a senario , A pumpkin patch off the edge of your lawn , not all pumpkins are taken for halloween and a few are left out there ! A person can't throw them a few yards into the trees so he can disc up the garden before winter , cause that would be conciderd baiting , but its ok to put a stand up on the edge , and hunt over the garden, It just don't make sence! Some of you have awsome plots , alot of energy put into them , but why do alot of hunters , hunt only over their plots ? Remember , not saying you all do , but alot that I see or here about do ! If they hunt that way , it should be called baiting ! I sure liked what I heard , that you take alot of does , cause the ratio out there is way out of wack , and by thinning them down , you will make for a perfect herd. Also , when the ratios down to where they should be , your rattling and calling will work alot better , and get them in to shooting range without the aid of bait or a plot ! Also get the herd down to the right ratio , your local farming practices will be enough to get them through the winter , only taking the weak , and by that , keeping a healthy herd ! Just think of the money you'll save on gas and seed ? And also giving you more time to fish and hunt morels in the spring , and also , keeping the wife happy , and thats a big one !! All this by getting the herd to workable numbers !

Heres a add that says they hunt over plots that make deer bigger in the area ! Is'nt steroids just a bunch of chemicals put together ?

Frigid Forage Testimonials

"I thought I should drop you a line to tell you how impressed I am with the MONSTER MAGNET I planted July 3rd of this year. I can’t believe how the deer are going after this plot compared to the other 13 plots I have planted. It looks as if 50 head of cattle have been turned loose in here. They are digging up the turnips and sugar beets and eating them like apples. They like it so much I can’t chase the deer off of it in the evening. They just come right back in. We’re going to use this as a harvest plot to knock down the doe population as early as possible.

Thanks"

Scott Talbot - Big Lake, MN "The deer world rather eat the MONSTER MAGNET than the corn field that is 200 yds away. I’ll definitely be making another seed order this spring."

Brooke Torstenson

Hayward, WI

"Here is that buck that scored 175 last year - he is 190+ this year with 60+ inches of mass."

Rob Olstad

Valley City, ND

"This deer wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for the FRIGID FORAGE Total Nutritional Program."

Clay Stittsworth

Bemidji, MN

Dave Thompson & Grandson

Bemidji, MN

Perry Pesch

Nebish, MN "My name is John Demuth. I mixed some chicory with WILD GAME BUFFET on ½ the plot, and put MONSTER MAGNET and BIG-N-BEASTY BRASSICA on the other ½. The ground had never been broken before and I was skeptical of any success. I just have to tell you that my food plot turned out better than any foot plot I have had in the past. The deer were into the MONSTER MAGNET quickly. The brassica were awesome they grew to the size of softballs with large thick stems. The deer ate the bulbs right out of the ground. One deer was eating so fast she would choke and have to spit it out and try again. The chicory is really neat and the deer started to nibble on it a little at a time. As of this writing the food plot is gone, where the brassica was it looks as if it has been tilled. The MONSTER MAGNET is completely gone and the clover and chicory are eaten level to the ground.

This deer season was our best ever!! On opening day while with my 11 year old son I shot my biggest deer ever, a 200+lb. 10 pointer with a 18 ¼” spread. Then 2 days later I saw an even bigger deer. My 8 year old was quite verbal, as he had never seen such a huge deer. It heard him clear as a bell and then became a memory but we had an awesome time together and it gave us a reason to keep trying!!

My neighbor has corn and oats still standing and the deer chose to hang around my food plot. It sure drew them in. While hunting over it you could smell the food and this must have been too much for them to resist. Next year my son will be old enough to hunt and this plot will be his. I am definitely a FRIGID FORAGE supporter and this is the only product I am going to plant.

Remember take a kid hunting and make it a positive experience and you will have a hunting partner for life. Thank you!!"

John Demuth

Northome, MN

yeah, and we all believe that the advertisements are 100% true. Come on??? Do you go to Super America gas station because their gas gets better mileage? It's true that food plots help the deer with nutrition all year round, which sure, makes them bigger and healthier...that is the point, a healthier herd, same reason the guys that plant food plots also manage the herd by taking does and leaving small bucks go. It's all about a healthier herd, but it's a far cry from Barry Bonds taking steriods....A FAR CRY FROM IT!

The difference between baiting and food plots is simple. Food plots are left year around to help the deer through ALL seasons. Baiting is done only during hunting time to assist the hunter. It's that simple PERIOD.

Where I hunt it is legal to bait deer. I hunt at my own cabin, my land, not public, I paid for it, so it gives me some advantages non land owners have, that hunt public land. The years before this year I use to throw out a couple bags of corn in the winter, apples in the late summer, pumpkins in the fall, every time I went there. Which is about every other weekend.

This year I planted a couple food plots, to make up the times Im not there to supply them with food. I will still feed them everytime I go there. I do it, the neighbor does it. I am not just feeding them every time I go up there, and planting a food plot to take more deer, I have never had a problem taking enough deer. They get hungry, especially in the mid winter, and early spring. All year round my family enjoys watching deer walk past my cabin.

Now this can cost alot of money, through out the year. I have made several trips up there to feed deer. Atleast that was my excuse to go there! I know it would be alot cheeper, and easier to just grab a bucket full of corn when walk ing out to my stand come deer hunting morning, and I would take home the same amount of deer, but I do this because I think I am helping the wildlife.

Ude, sounds like you're going about it the right way, doing the pre-tillage for weed control and then using some fertilizer. Fertilizer is expensive but it pays off. Now if you could only control the moisture by getting timely rains. Warning - planting food plots is addictive!!!

BFT, your posts do my work for me as far as proving who sounds foolish. If you don't like food plots, don't read these threads. I would venture to say that the guys planting food plots for deer and pheasants care a lot more about wildlife than your average hunter, they're putting their pocket book to work to prove it. I spend literally thousands of dollars a year to put in food plots by the time I add up fertilizer and diesel fuel and seed cost. The six acres of corn that I just put in won't pay off for me during the hunting season (I shot one deer last year, a small doe), it will pay off for me in February and March when I'm seeing 15-20 deer in my plot or a few days after a big storm when I see all the deer and pheasant tracks in the plot.

Anyone know how long before beans and peas should start coming up? I planted a little over a week ago, had good rain right after and no sign of plants as of last night.

I would say tomorrow is the day. laugh.gif

Seriously, any day.

I planted everything on May 7th, and on May 13th all the plots had growth beginning.

How long before I worry, assuming we get rain...which looks like we will.

With moisture and heat/sunshine, most seeds will sprout in 7-10 days. I could see the rows in my corn field after 8 days but it was spotty, but it hasn't had any rain on it. Hopefully this rain will sprout everything.

To answer your question, I'd be concerned after 14 days, especially if you've had rain. Goto one of your rows and slowly start digging down and find some seeds and see whats happening. Also check for critters. Stripped gophers like digging out small plants and eating the seed and I've had problems with rabbits in my garden eating young bean plants.

Good luck. You still have plenty of time to replant if necessary.

I got 'er all planted yesterday as the rain was beginning to fall.Planted half Clover, and half Turnips. Now to wait and see how it all does?

So now i have picked up the plot master and heading up north tomorrow, does anybody use anything to help keep the deer off the plots until the plot takes. I was able to buy plot saver last year from cabelas, but now this year it is mail order only and that was a kick in the nuts when i realized now it is just up to mother nature. also has anybody mixed corn and clover together, and how was the results?

Where do you guys find trees for a decent price? Those Sumac look very nice. Where can I get some of those also? We have the same problem as you. The deer come to our land but for some reason like to stay across the other side of the river and stay most of the time. Thanks and good luck.

I get my trees at Menard's or Shopko or Wal-Mart - don't remember seeing any sumac at those places.

Just dig up Sumac from the wild... take the shorter root suckers off to the sides and they will transplant no problem. Do this early in the spring just as the buds are swelling, or late in the fall after they go dormant.

Good Luck!

Ken

the sumac are natural there, but I dug some of the small ones up and brought them home. They transplant very easily, but be careful. Once they get going they spread pretty fast and can take over. I just got a deal at Sam's club $9 for 4' trees crab apples, oaks and maples, not sure if they still have them. Find deals at nurseries in the fall or at places like Home depot, Sams, even Kmart. A food plot with some nice cover near by should hold the deer on your property a lot better. That and a safe haven for them to go to where they aren't being chased off by humans.

I am starting to worry. The food plots at home have been in 2 weeks now. The sunflower plots is coming in decent, but the corn had just a few plants starting to pop. The dry weather may have slowed germination a little but I should have most of the plants going by now shouldn't I? Hope things get going pretty quick here with the rain lately.

My corn was popping in less than a week.

If something doesnt happen within in the next week, it may be time to go to plan B.... smirk.gif

You may also want to check for critter damage. I'm having some serious issues with striped gophers and geese on my corn plot. As the corn comes up, the gophers see it and dig it up for the corn at the bottom of the plant, I can see where they went down the row, little holes where every corn plant was!!! &*())&%$#!!! I can see 20 - 30 foot stretches where the corn is dug out!!! ^%$%$@###$&*(%!!!! I've been trapping the little devils, four so far.

The geese have been a problem too, they go thru and as the corn comes up, they eat it off, I can see the little stalk. I've been trying to haze them off and put the fear into them with my labs but since I'm not home every day they're free to pillage all day long. The other day I misjudged and sicced the dogs on them too soon and next thing you know my young black dog was delivering a fuzzball back to me. Luckily she has a soft mouth, I was able to take it down to the edge of the pond and let it go. But it has made the geese more wary, last night the old gander saw me coming and they were in the water when I got there.

I can see where farmers would be pi$$ed at geese and get a permit to shoot them.

I'm considering a solar fencer next year for the geese, I'd have to put up a 150 yards of wire to keep them out of the corn. And I'll start trapping the gophers BEFORE the corn comes up. Live and learn.

What I really need is some moisture so that the corn would just take off and get to 6-8 inches, then they'd leave it alone.

Nova, with the rain, if you're not seeing corn in 7 days, consider replanting. If you can't find some, I have a bag left over that you can have.

My uncle put in corn the day before mother's day and its all up. Something in my plot is finally coming up - its not weeds so thats a good sign. We'll see how it turns out - broadcast seeding by hand and then light raking is not precise seed depth control but hopefully....BTW - for those of you in blackberry country they were blossoming like crazy on Monday - pretty white flowers if you need to take a nature hike.

I pulled the majority of new apples off my trees this year, my pear tree has fruit this year - I'm gonna leave a couple on just to see how they turn out. Also planted some cranberries in the woods and they are doing great.

Blackjack, thanks very much for the info and the seed offer. I do have enough left to redo this plot if it fails. I will wait until mid next week and then replant if things don't get going. The corn is going to stand until next spring so a little later planting should hurt too much should it? Thanks for the info guys, I am crossing my fingers crazy.gif

My clover is coming up, and I think the turnips are coming up also and I just planted them last week! So far so good!

You guys are lucky that your seed has been in for awhile, mine were just planted over the weekend, but the good thing is the rain that has been falling since. not a ton of rain but enough to start the germination process.and we planted 4 plots, one was an acre or annual MNDHA blend and corn, another on clover and chicory, the next was the wildlife blend from MNDHA, and the last one was a small one that was half milo and clover. I am really hoping this works this year.