• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Locator for the money???

Coach1310

I don't know a ton about locators.. but this is what I want:

Color

Mapping System

EXTERNAL antenna(heard too many internal horror stories)

Side-by-side(with map on one half of screen and locator on other)

Under $1000---but as cheap as I can get a quality locator.

Thanks for your help.

I fish mostly walleyes and panfish if that matters.

Humminbird 787. 640 pixels Vertical 5" screen. External antennae for GPS. Built in Unimap of United states and takes Navionics Hotmaps Premium chip.

Reasons this is the locator for you.

1.) 640 pixels in color

2.) Best and brightest screen in the industry with hemipherical viewing (can read from any angle).

3.) Easiest software to use.

4.) There are no gimbles to attach or remove when removing at night to place it in your storage. Unit simply is removed by pressing button on back. Base is hard wired with transducer, power, GPS antennae.

5.) Dual Beam Sonar is standard. Runs two cone angles (20 and 60 degrees) at 83 and 200 kilohertz frequency respectively. Either or both can be programmed as the frequency used.

5.) Unit cost is $ 650.00 retail.

I'd go with an Eagle, I don't know the current models but that's probably where you'd get the most bang for your buck.

Quote:

Humminbird 787. 640 pixels Vertical 5" screen. External antennae for GPS. Built in Unimap of United states and takes Navionics Hotmaps Premium chip.

Reasons this is the locator for you.

1.) 640 pixels in color

2.) Best and brightest screen in the industry with hemipherical viewing (can read from any angle).

3.) Easiest software to use.

4.) There are no gimbles to attach or remove when removing at night to place it in your storage. Unit simply is removed by pressing button on back. Base is hard wired with transducer, power, GPS antennae.

5.) Dual Beam Sonar is standard. Runs two cone angles (20 and 60 degrees) at 83 and 200 kilohertz frequency respectively. Either or both can be programmed as the frequency used.

5.) Unit cost is $ 650.00 retail.

I will agree with this however I would take a long hard look at the humminbird 797 CS. It retails just under the 1K mark and the sideimaging is unbelivable.

Orlip,

Does side imaging have all that stuff that coach wanted? The split screen, the mapping capabilities, all that?

I couldn't get an answer to that whenever I watched hummingbird's infomercials.

The answer about the 797c is YES! It is the same unit as the 787c but with the added side imaging. A person could buy the 797 and not use the side imaging and never know the difference between that and the 787c. I own two 787c and they are the best unit I've ever ran. PERIOD!!!!!!! I can see that color screen in the worst sunlight and the unit is crisp and clear not matter what. The menu is easy and the nav. chip rocks! I think you would be hard pressed to buy a better unit for the money. Just my two cents, I'm sure some Lowrance guys would disagree but for my money no one is making a better unit then Humminbird.

I have a Lowrance LCX-25C and love it. It's almost the same as the new model LCX-27C. The screen is plently large for viewing maps and sonar in great detail, but under $1000 for GPS/Sonar combo.

Throw a LakeMaster or Navionics chip in it and you'll love it even more. grin.gif

Quote:

Orlip,

Does side imaging have all that stuff that coach wanted? The split screen, the mapping capabilities, all that?

I couldn't get an answer to that whenever I watched hummingbird's infomercials.

Everything sproguy said is correct you would not know the difference between the two. I had my mind made up on the 787 because of the ability to control my downriggers but that side imaging is really neat.

I wont be making the plunge till next year so I have a lot of time to make my mind up. I just hope they don't come up with something neater to make me scratch the rest of my hair out.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't decided yet. I have a few buddies who love Lowrance, but I don't really have a preference. Keep the thoughts coming! Thanks again!

Spend your 2K and but the lowarance that looks like a TV.

Just kidding. I have started to get interested in hummingbirds and like them. I have an eagle and like it a lot and the lowarces are somes of the best on the market, your just paying for the name.

I have a question, can you use a lakemaster chip in a hummingbird?