• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who?

fishin58

The Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent WR Cortez Hankton, a 5th-year NFL veteran. Hankton spent the opening 4 seasons of his NFL career with Jacksonville where he broke into the League as a rookie free agent. He has 34 receptions for 310 yards and 2 TDs in his 46 career games.

Hankton has carved out a role as a valuable chain-mover and special teams contributor. Throughout his career, half of his receptions have gone for 1st downs (17-of-34).

SIGNED

WR Cortez Hankton 5th Year Texas Southern

I can only hope Chili is up to something BIG.

He sounds like a stand up guy.

One on One with Cortez Hankton

April 6

By: Gia Hill

Texas Southern University alumni, Cortez Hankton, Jr. presented the First annual NFL celebrity weekend in an effort to support TSU students with scholarships.

Although Hankton is a wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars in Florida, he is dedicated to maintaining relationships with the youth in Houston and the surrounding areas.

Hankton and other NFL celebrities took it upon themselves to give back to the children and the community in a fun-filled environment by hosting an Easter egg hunt, softball game and a basketball game during Easter weekend. “We had a great time this past weekend,” he said. “The most important thing was giving back to the children. We wanted to show them that this is real, and to never give up on their dreams.”

The leadership athletes possess off the football field is sometimes overlooked. Hankton felt that the weekend event was his duty to give back to the Houston area.

“What I’m trying to do is mold the future for others---especially children,” he said. “Some athletes don’t consider themselves to be role models, but children do look up to us, and that’s something I take into consideration.”

As a rookie, Hankton established the Cortez Hankton Scholarship Fund to give back to undergraduate college students.

The weekend event proceeds were beneficial to his scholarship fund and will help assist students attending TSU.

An advocate for philanthropy who “has his hands in everything,” Hankton felt this was a great opportunity to come back to support his alma mater.

“I just wanted to give back and support the university that has helped me get to where I am today,” he humbly said.

Hankton has finished his second season in the NFL, and will soon report to training camp to prepare for the season ahead.

After playing in the league for two seasons, he realizes that his college experience at TSU prepared him for the NFL and life in general.

“No matter what a person does, he’s always going to have to overcome something, whether it’s in his personal life or business wise,” he said.

He believes that obstacles are inevitable, but that there is nothing he can’t overcome.

“Because my experiences in college, I am now able to handle anything. I continue to work hard without ever looking back or regretting anything I’ve done.”

What about this ? Being a total Viking homer I like to think the best so here is a thought . We sign Wade , now Cortez , few other people nobody has really heard of . Could they be a bunch of just hard playing , team orientated player like say the ... Patriots ? Seems like almost the same formula that the Pats used to achieve some success . I'm probably wrong but it could happen that we are building a solid team . Couldn't it ?

We can only hope, I am sure the haters will come out of their caves tonight and talk some more trash about the vikes tonight... tongue.gif

I dont think its being a hater. Im a huge viking fan, but this offseason has been nothing short of rediculous. The patriots never had a huge named superstar but guys like Dieon Branch and David Patten ect. are not the 2nd rate recievers that the vikings have. All those guys were very solid. Like i said the only thing i can think of with holding onto their cap money and not signing anyone is that they are holding onto most of it for next season. If thats the case than they need too drop out of #7 too about #13-19 and get another 2nd round pick out of it. Get a reciever, get a D end and develop these young guys for a year and go add your free agents next season. Its the only thing i can think of. There is no way anyone in that organization can think they can win this year with what they have done. Its too bad, the defense really is in place it seems. And i dont think it would have taken an extraordinary amount of offensive players too compete. But its not going too happen with the current QB's and recievers.

I'm liking the idea of a team full of no name, non prima donna, hard charging ballers.

Worked for the patriots, worked and still workin for the Twins, lets see if it works for the Vikings.

The patriots have Tom Brady, maybe the best big game QB ever and one of the best defensive minds this game has ever seen. The twins have the reigning batting champ, league MVP and Cy Young winner. Not exactly teams of nobodies. The only thing resembling ordinary about the patriots superbowl teams was their recievers, they didnt have a Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens big name guy. But they have 3 or 4 guys every year who were more than solid. Their 4 guys every year make our recievers look like high school caliber players. Let me say again its not called being a hater, its called being realistic. I used too go into every season thinking this team had a chance too get too the superbowl. Id talk myself into believing it every year. Every offseason they did something that made you wonder, maybe this could be the answer. But after watching last season, and now seeing nothing happen this offseason, there is no reason for optimism. Maybe in a couple of years if T-Jack comes along and they get some young recievers in here and develop them, or bring in some proven producers, we can have hope.

The Patriots didn't have Tom Brady , they had Drew Bledsoe . Tom Brady was a no name 6th or 7th round DP when he got the start . I didn't see enough of T-Jackson last year to think that he will be a bust this year . I just think that some of the guys that are being signed seen to be guys with good character . Maybe that translates into hard work and success . Maybe I'm off the mark but Football isn't about being realistic anyway . If that were the case would you pay 100 bucks for a ticket , 5.00 for a hot dog ( been a few years since I have been to a game - could be more ) to watch guys get millions of dollars to play a game . Its not reality . GO VIKES !

The Twins have big names now, but the same dudes wer'nt big names not too long ago. When Tom Brady started he was a back up that got the call. He was a no name.

The key to the whole thing is, I feel, go with what got you there. These dudes got there by being hard chargers and that's what is keeping them there.

Yeah he was a no name 6th rounder who came in and won a superbowl and then won 2 more superbowls. He wasnt some 2nd rate player who has done nothing for the low level teams hes been playing for which is what we have picked up. These arent guys that have been on our team waiting for there team like Tom Brady did. They have been out there and had their chance and have been below average players. If 2nd rate stand up players is good enough for you then great. But there were some 1st rate standup players available this year that we didnt touch. Maybe we'll strike gold in this years 6th round, i dont know. Like i said, maybe this is a rebuilding year for the vikes in the eyes of the organization and spending all the cap room didnt make sense. If thats the case then fine. Develop some young players this year and supplement the talent next offseason with some nice free agents. But this team isnt winning as is, no chance no how. I hate too say it, i live for football season, but i cant find a single reason too think that this team can win this year. Im not saying T-Jack will be a bust, but i dont think you can honestly believe he'll be an above average QB this season. Into the future, we'll see, but not this year.

I don't remember hearing of anyone who would be considered a 1st rate stand up player . Who did I miss ? I have never bought into that rebuilding year crap . Gives the team an easy out for not playing well and it is a ready made excuse for failing . I'm hoping Chili is trying to fill a roster with players that will make this team win THIS year . As far as the new WR's , could it be they were good WR's on teams that didn't use them right . Thats never happened . And the thing about Brady , team , he doesn't throw the ball to himself . He went to a team that had the pieces in place . He is a good QB but would he have the same success on a 2-14 team ? Personally , I think that we will pick up a experienced QB before the season starts , just a feeling .

Ummm, i dont think players like Kevin Curtis and Drew Bennett have had issues. Are they not stand up players the vikings could have brought in? 1st rate recievers who arent trouble makers??

As far as Brady, you just backed up what i've been saying. The patriots had recievers, good recievers, not below average recievers. Not superstars, but dang good recievers.

Curtis & Bennett . Those guys are decent recievers but I wouldn't list them among the top tier WR's . I'd be willing to say that there won't be , if any , a drop with the two we got instead . And you missed my point on Brady . They all complimented each other in a way that made them stand out as team . They were just another team before all the parts fit . Did the WR's make Brady good or did Brady make the WR's good or did the right combination of player and coaches come together to build a great team . I'm sure Pats fans questioned drafting Brady or Branch , Givens ....all of them because before they won the superbowl they were not great players . Their , the Patiots , greatness was a result of their achievments and I'm saying why can't that be the case with the Vikings this year . I have felt , after the game I don't discuss ( '98 ALT ), that when we finally do win a SB its going to be with a team of blue collar , go to work & get the job done kind of guys , not a bunch of superstars who think they have won just by taking the field . And maybe thats Bobby Wade , Cortez , Vinny and the rest .

I may be one of few, I like to go in to the season optimistic, and think they have a chance. I dont think this team as it stands is going to go anywhere! But we have a draft coming up, we can still pick up some other expierenced players yet. I think t- jack is a year or two away from being a good qb, but I think the vikes need to pick up a good reciever for him to throw to to gain expierence and confidence, and if they dont he wont be worth anything in a couple years either. I think the vikes are only a couple good players away from being a contender. They need to address their pass defense, and wide reciever! I think they should trade up this year try to get calvin johnson, give t-jack this year to gain a little expeirence with a good reciever, then next year address the pass defense more, then I think we have ourself a good football team! The vikes have alot of money to spend yet, I think they are saving it because they want to trade up and they know they will be paying good money to do that. Anyhow, thats my .002

you cannot compliment a Div II QB with a bunch of practice squad/special teams players and think they have a chance to be the next Patriots...in ChiliDogs system. How about we trade up to get Calvin and fill the holes with our free agent money. By the way ChiliDog, if you are reading this, there is no gift shop on the way out, spend your money. If you go 3-13 this year, you wont be seeing 2008 through purple-shaded glasses.

You cannot actually believe that Cortez and Wade are not a drop off from Bennett and Curtis.

Actually I thought I would wait and see how they play with the Vikings before I toss em on the scrap heap .

One thing with Curtis and Bennett, they are not exactly spring chickens.. a WR in the NFL, is youngster position.. Maybe we can catch these guys on the beginning of there peaks not the downside like Bennett or Curtis, think about most of the Receivers in the NFL, prolly 70% that are good for 2-3 years...then fall back to mediocre status.. these guys wade/cortez could be mediocre but this could be the start of there 2-3 years...just some food for thought.

Maybe it's all strategy. They are trying to better position themselves for the 2008 draft!

Well they are definately headed for another top 10 pick in the 08' draft, no doubt about it.

Spose now you don't like the guy they picked up who has never played football . Todd the high jumper .

It's not about names, it's not about schemes, it's about talent. Where besides a couple of the defensive positions do the Vikes have top tier talent?

Add to that a very predictable and unimaginative offensive scheme and we're looking at another forgettable year. I'd love to be wrong, but so far nothing has happened with this team to offer me hope to the contrary.

I'm going to let go of last year . Its in the books . I agree that run , run , try to pass kinda let other teams know what our offensive game plan was . And it didn't work , you have to think Chili recognized his failure and is doing something to correct it . As far as the talent aspect of these new WR's I believe that even though they aren't Randy or Jerry Rice or some other stud WR's they have to have some talent or potential or they would have just signed us to a 3 year deal . Thing is ... its easy to sit here and criticize but truth is if we knew more we would be the coach . I'm not saying that Chili is a great coach or that these guys are going to be the answer but I am going to wait until after the season to see if it was a success or not . Don't really have a choice other than changing teams . Not gonna happen . Go VIKES !