• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opti-Oil

Sutty

Question

Do all of you Optimax guys run the mercury 2-stroke plus oil or are there other options Amsoil etc?

11 answers to this question

I have run nothing but Amsoil HPI and have put over 1000 hours on twin 225's in 3 seasons. Have had no problems at all. I buy it by the 16 gallon size and its alot cheaper than Merc oil. Almost no smoke or odor, 200+ hours out of spark plugs and still clean. I'd recommend it for any optimax.

I'll toss out a different opinion. I don't let Amsoil near my outboards. I use oil specifically made for 2-stroke DFI motors.

The HPI is specifically for DFI engines, Amsoil produces numerous 2 cycle motor oils, HPI is recommended for Optimax. I've had good luck with it, I like the fact that it is 100% synthetic rather than a blend, and its cheaper to boot. Just stating my results, I don't sell the stuff. We have lots of choices, I chose this product.

If I am going to drop about 25 bucks a gallon for the stuff I would rather have it 100% synthetic.

The AMSOIL HPI is designed for EFI and DFI outboards. It is full synthetic, using ester base synthetic base stocks (made from agricultural byproducts). It is ashless, burns away clean and leaves no carbon behind. It prevents "ring jacking" a problem common to DFI engines.

I'd have to agree with you. I have an old Green Johnson and a 1998 Johnson 90 2 stroke. I use the oil recommended in the owners manual and have never had a single problem.

Is HP the same thing as HPI. I picked up a gallon at fleet farm for around 25 bucks and the label I believe just stated HP, it also listed on the back that it was OK to use with DFI motors including optimax's. I had read on the amsoil website that HPI was what I was looking for??

It's AMSOIL HPI for my 150 Opti. I prefer full-synthetic. No problems for me in 2 1/2 years. Exhaust smell is almost non-existant.

Yes, HP, HPI both mean the same thing. Actually the "name" is HP Injector, the "product code" is HPI, followed by a package designator. -qt for a quart, -01 for case of 12 quarts, -1G for a gallon, -04 for a case of 4 gallons, -16 for a 16 gallon keg, -30 for a 30 gallon drum, -55 for a 55 gallon drum. Some of the prices will have the 'dash' included, sometimes you see it without the 'dash'.

Lowest prices, contact me privately, e-mail address below.

Oilman, can you mix Opti oil and AMSOIL? or do you have drain out all the Opti oil first?

Yes, maybe, probably, ?? General and overall answers here, I don't have specific brand change-over data.

The 'official' AMSOIL Inc. answer is yes but you should minimize mixing. Actually, this should be true and followed for changing between any brands. Technically and chemically you should be able to mix any Petroleum based, PAO based synthetic and Ester based synthetics, but there may be enough differences, including additives, that you should not mix 1/2 tank with 1/2 tank of anything. AMSOIL 2-cycle oil is Ester based, I don't know the base of Opti (I have checked their website and the only thing they talk about is their trade name of their additives).

The reality, when changing brands, with many oil-injected outboards, the oil tank is difficult to remove and drain, or at the least a very sloppy ugly messy job. My recommendation - carry the new oil with you, use the existing oil down to your warning light/buzzer system goes off, then top with your new oil. This is the safe way to change and minimize mixing. NEVER take a chance on running out of oil!!!!!!

This said, frown.gif I have heard 1 report of a different brand of synthetic outboard injection oil NOT MIXING with an unknown brand of oem? oil - on a FM forum a month or two ago.

edited to correct typo.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.