• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailer Light Plugs

Wayne Sieber

Question

Does anyone else have trouble with trailer light plugs corroding? It seems like everytime I check my lights that the plug (on the truck and the trailer) need to be scraped and cleaned to get a good connection. Does anyone have any tricks they use to keep them clean?

11 answers to this question

I use white lithium grease. Just apply it every now and then.

I bought a cleaner spray and the grease stuff. Seems to work pretty well if you clean them real well before you apply the grease.

Lithium greese is a good choice but will attract dirt so when not connected to a trailer, it's a good idea to use a cover on the vehicle connector so it stays clean.

Bob

I have never replaced a plug due to corrosion on my own stuff. A little dab of di-electric grease (or any grease) will due the trick. Yes it does attract dirt but it can be wiped off to find shiny terminals underneath!! I apply a little on every harness I replace at the shop also.

I suggested the cap on the vehicle side because that is the female which is not as easy to wipe out. Only the dc common on the vehicle is male.

Bob

Use either a cap over the plug or cut the wires off a mating connector and plug that in to keep things clean.

7 way - males on the truck side.

A little brake cleaner will take car of the dirt (minimal and likely will not affect the plug anyways) that has accumulated on the grease in your 4 flats. Reaply to your shiny terminals and your good for another season!

Good idea Bigdog!

FEETDOWN, Clean your contacts(male and female)REAL good and coat them with Di-electric grease (available at any auto or farm store). It "conducts" electricity and protects against corrosion. I coat all my trailer plugs with the stuff in Fall and have yet to have a failure. Phred52

I don't believe that dielectric grease conducts electricity, but it does help seal the connections to keep moisture out.

That is correct. Di-electric does not conduct electricity. Its main function is a moisture block with limited lubrication properties. It also works great on those fuel pump module seals that gm uses. If you have ever replaced one you'll know what I am talking about. A little grease on that seal and the pump pratically falls into place.

Its also great for most other electrical connection that you want to keep corrosion free. I also use it in the spark plug boots to keep the towers on the coils/caps from corroding. it also makes the boots easier to install on the spark plugs.

You can find all kinds of uses for this stuff. A must have in any garage!!

Guys - Thanks for all this information! My days of scraping clean the plugs everytime I get the trailer out looks to be over!!