• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

26" or 28"?

Barony

Just secured the blessing by the wife to purchase a new gun, and I have my eye on a Beretta 26" o/u. Everything that I have in the gun cabinet is 28", so I'm a little hesitant. Is there that much of a difference between shooting a 26 and a 28?

The comment by the wife was "What's two inches?" with a wink an a smile.

In terms of range, exactly 2 inches and nothing more. In terms of handling, it makes a big difference in my opinion (I have a 26" Beretta auto). You lose a little on sight plane, but in hunting situations, it is made up for by easier handling. I would not want a 28" personally.

Barony,

I'm don't know upper body strenght but I don't have the biggest frame but I used to swing a 28" barrel and went to 26" and can stay on a fast moving canvasback with confidence. Two inches DOES make a difference especially if your a duck hunter or a do allot of upland hunting with it.

Personally lighter is always better in the long run so if your around 170lbs I would purchase a 26" barrel, just my .02.

Good luck,

mr

I'm probably going to buy the gun, but it's based on price more than anything. I found one for $1350 and it's the o/u that I want, but not the length. I think that when one gets the blessing to spend that kind of money, I'll have to learn how to adapt.

Quote:

Barony,

I used to swing a 28" barrel and went to 26" and can stay on a fast moving canvasback with confidence.

Staying on them is one thing, but hitting one is totally another story. grin.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

CA

You will not have any issues with a 26 inch compared to the 28". I have a 26 and 28 and both are easy to pick up and shoot.

If all of your guns are 28 inch then buy the 26 - I like the shorter barrells for grouse, doves and pheasant. Quicker to swing, but not very noticable. With the array of chokes out there any deficiencies with your swing could be corrected by adaptation.

CA,

I'm a shoot'n release kinda hunter. Anybody can hit them but how many can say they release the birds!?? he, he.

mr tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gifwink.gif

All I own are 26" barrels, including a O/U Beretta. Get it, you will not be sorry. I am a large frame hunter, okay Xtra Large frame hunter, and I would rather shoot a 26" over my friends 28" semi-auto. In fact, I would really like to have a 22" SxS for grouse hunting, but my wife has said "NO" enough for me stop looking at this time. If the 26" O/U fits great, feels Great, buy it......You can get extended choke tubes if you feel like it, but it will not be necessary

The 3 main things to look at when buying a gun are:

1.)gun fit

2.)gun fit

3.)gun fit

If the gun fits you and pulls up nice, then you worry about barrel length. The 26" will swing a little quicker and probably be better in some upland situations. I have a 28" and use it for upland and waterfowl. I have always liked the swing of a little longer barrel, but to each his own. In case I didn't mention it, just make sure it fits grin.gif

Thanks guys. The Beretta feels right and fits right. I'm also basing that on the fact that my current upland gun is a Beretta 390, assuming that if one fits, the other should too. Guys understand this. Thanks for the help. I just struggle w/ the cost and I'm sure that will come back to get me some day. It's amazing how the wives remember this stuff.

As you can see I shoot a "101", it is a waterfowler special 30" pipes and 3" chambers in an o/u. It is choked full and fuller. I shoot it both competitively and in the field. Not a big fan of short pipes and I'm not very big in stature. I find the short pipes, while easy to carry in the field tend to get to "whippy" when it comes time to drop the hammer. Just my opinions, I've ran close to 10,000 rounds through the gun shooting trap, duck, pheasants and anything else that has feathers. In my opinion a set of 28" pipes in an o/u is the same as 26" pipe on a pump/semi.. Not an expert just like the smell of gunpowder. Good luck with what ever you choose and remember KEEP YOUR HEAD ON THE STOCK AND FOLLOW THRU.. grin.gif

I just got home and ended up buying a 28" Franchi Titanium. Both (Beretta and Franchi) felt great, but I got a little better deal on the Franchi becuse it was "gently used". I appreciate all of the help and advice everyone gave me. I walked into Scheels with every intention of buying the 26" Beretta and left with a 28" Franchi. Go figure.

Gander had a pile of guns for $1300 including Brownings and Berettas, but when the kid pulled out the gun blue book for my 870 trade, his numbers didn't jive with mine real well. In fact, I felt a little insulted. How do they stay in business? Scheels gave me $300 trade, which was a little less than I hoped for. Gander, according to this book, would give me $215 for the same gun and "sell" it for $300. It was a 870 3.5 Turkey gun (not the Express) w/ full camo.

Well it is a two way street. I haven't always been treated the best by Scheels either.

I like to use an OU for upland game, mostly pheasants and what works as a general rule with that in mind is 26" in 20ga and 28" in 12ga. It's a matter of scale.