• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Openers...different states, different dates

I would like someone to give me a good answer why MN has the latest opener?

SD is moving their's up one week to April 21st.

WI is the week before MN's on May 5th.

MN is May 12th.

ND - season never closes

Why so late? I think the opener is an outdated thing and don't care for it at all. It's obviously all about the mighty dollar and the only reason it exists. If they want to keep the opener, fine I'll play the game, but let's bump it up into April which would avoid the mother's day conflict as well as graduations which start to pop up around then.

Looks to me that SD just gave us an available weekend. wink.gif

LM-it is what it is!... In my opinion, MN has some of the best fishing around. Why?.. I think it may have something to do with our later season. Yes, it does have something to do with the mighty dollar, but I think that our DNR also, even though many may not think, has our good fishing at a pretty good place right now.

I know a lot will disagree with me... But I'm one who likes our seasons.. Yes, I would love to be out fishing bass or walleye right now...But will give up a few weekends to let the fish do their thing. I'll get yard work done, chase a few panfish, whatever.... I am also a big fan of the slot limmits... SO,, go ahead and flame me!

I would guess that NoDak is open year around because there are only 630,000 people in the entire state. Where MN has 4.5 million and Wisconsin has 5.3 million people. The strain on the resource in North Dakota pales in comparison compared to what MN and Wisconsin face.

I think that date for the openers in Wisconin & MN is more tradition then anything else.

Like Deitz, I too am for slot limits. The fishing in MN is great right now and I think alot of that has to do with slot limits, reduced limits and catch and release.

The opener also gives us something to look forward to.

We still have a foot of ice. If you moved opener up to April we'd have to drill holes. But on the other hand! smirk.gif

I like it the way it is. It protects our resources. Can you imagin how easy it would be to catch fish if we could fish them pre spawn all the time, year after year.

A couple weeks I can wait. There is trout, smelt and panfish to practice on.

A limit is a limit. If we are concerned about resources then the daily limit should be reduced like other states have. Seems conflicting to me. confused.gif

I believe the "to protect our resources" bit is an old wives tale more than anything when it comes to the reason the opener exists and at which date. It's become such a boost to the economy to have a big one-weekend fling that they can't afford to do away with it.

It's back far enough so that the weather is typically decent and then the entire family can enjoy it and is willing to attend....which then means to buy a license (which most who go on the "opener" will never use again for the rest of the year), bait, food, lodging, and misc for said non-fishing family and friends. cha-ching!

If there was no "opener", every weekend of the year would just be another weekend when the real fishing folk go out and do their thing without all the fanfare. All the aunts, grampas and grammas, and other people who normally don't fish wouldn't think anything of it. Well...look at all that lost revenue! Let's create something called an "opener" where everyone get's hyped up and wants to go. cha-ching!

That's my view of it. I think that politics and government have a much heavier hand in this than the DNR and the alleged protection of these "great" resources. I suppose if you've lived with it your entire life it's just something you take year after year without much thought. smirk.gif

As you can probably tell, this time of year drives me nuts sitting on my hands and waiting.

i'm somewhat in the middle about the 'season' issue. i see where you are coming from, and i see the other side of the issue too...walleyes spawn in the spring time. sauger usually spawns a little later than walleye's. here's what i'd like to see, and i've been saying this for a long time - the DNR has been around for 60 years (give or take a few) and the indians have been around for 1000's of years - i'd like to see our DNR pay more attention to the indian community and ask good questions of them. i'm sure we'd learn a thing or two!

You guys can always go ply the mighty Miss if you need to scratch that itch.There are options for those who cant wait.If it was about money wouldnt it make more sense to have no closed season,seems to me that the state would make more money having fishing opened sooner so I dont get that part of your theory.

Quote:

There are options for those who cant wait.

I agree. Lots of options- bluegills, crappies, catfish, roughfish, the river. I'll have a blast fishing for anything, and thats what its about for me. The walleyes can wait, cause there is better fishing for other species right now. smile.gif

There's species other than walleye? I thought they don't count if they don't have teeth?

Fishing is pretty good in Minnesota and part of that is probably due to our conservative nature in management. Seasons, bag limits, and slots are more conservative than most states in the nation. A good deal of that has to do with our population. We rank 21/50 in population in the U.S. and have the second highest percentage of anglers behind only Alaska. We are blessed with a rich and beautiful resource and I like our conservative approach.

As has been said, there are still plenty of opportunities to fish on border waters, rivers, or for underutilized species.

I do understand Limitout's idea about the economics of opener. I worked a few openers at a tackle shop. It's a bonanza, licenses, bait, drinks, equipment, you name it. There is something about opening day, kind of like opening day for your favorite sports teams. You are more likely to open the wallet and splurge if you have been waiting for it and anticipating it.

I do also understand the weather factor. Most of my memories of opener are of crappy, windy, and rainy weather. Move it up any earlier and it will just get colder and wetter most likely. Not that weather should ever dictate the fishing opener. You are either going to go or you aren't. It takes some nasty weather to keep me off the lake on opener. Call it my duck hunter's mentality.

I didn't understand the logic about the DNR turning to the Native American community. They have their successes and failures along the way of natural resource management. Also, Minnesota has a population over 5 million, Native Americans make up about 50,000 of that, or about 1.1% of our population. Historically their population has been even smaller. I believe the DNR should work with Native Americans on treaty rights, land and waters in a cooperative spirit as they have of late been doing, but I wouldn't compare the two pound for pound. What could they really teach the DNR about fisheries management that they don't already know or won't learn through time via science? I think their culture could teach MN citizens a great deal about respecting and conserving nature and the environment, but Native Americans nor the DNR are going to make individuals change behaviors.

Exact reason why I tell people, don't waste my fishing time telling me to wait for you while you go run out and get a fishing license on the opener weekend! grin.gif

I'll be on road driving far off to some not so secret place to beat the crowd! laugh.gif

We have the privilege to fish some of the best waters in the world. Not to mention, we have 1000's of spots to pick from. The seasons we are allowed are more than enough to stratch that itch. I am just thankful for all the opportunities we have. If it is so bad, either MOVE or run for State office and try to change it... or we could just open up the season for the entire year, spend a ton more $$ on fish management to make up for the increased pressure and harvest and then we could start a thread titled- TAXES...FISHING LICENSES...Why are they so high???? Be Thankful for the tens of thousands of opportunities we have in MN, not complaining about the couple we don't!!

You people (always politically correct) are no fun. I wanted someone, anyone to flame the Deitz'ter. grin.gif

For those who like the protection of our resources, there sure are a lot who like to go raid the resouces of those states who's season opens earlier. Kinda odd since we have all these other species to fish for here to hold us over until MN's opener.... blush.gif

Just food for thought. smirk.gif Not trying to be a wise-acre, but rather throwing something out there for debate.

Hutchinson is on Highway 7 and can't keep count of the number of rigs that are heading west on SD's opener and that's just in the short time I'm near the highway during daily errands, etc. I'm sure it's the same heading east the first weekend in May as well.

Oh well, thought I'd get an honest, logical, answer but I don't think I've heard one yet. I guess I'll quit questioning authority and fall back into the herd and take my lumps. grin.gif

How many days left???????

Quote:

Fishing is pretty good in Minnesota and part of that is probably due to our conservative nature in management. Seasons, bag limits, and slots are more conservative than most states in the nation. A good deal of that has to do with our population. We rank 21/50 in population in the U.S. and have the second highest percentage of anglers behind only Alaska. We are blessed with a rich and beautiful resource and I like our conservative approach.

As has been said, there are still plenty of opportunities to fish on border waters, rivers, or for underutilized species.

I do understand Limitout's idea about the economics of opener. I worked a few openers at a tackle shop. It's a bonanza, licenses, bait, drinks, equipment, you name it. There is something about opening day, kind of like opening day for your favorite sports teams. You are more likely to open the wallet and splurge if you have been waiting for it and anticipating it.

I do also understand the weather factor. Most of my memories of opener are of crappy, windy, and rainy weather. Move it up any earlier and it will just get colder and wetter most likely. Not that weather should ever dictate the fishing opener. You are either going to go or you aren't. It takes some nasty weather to keep me off the lake on opener. Call it my duck hunter's mentality.

I didn't understand the logic about the DNR turning to the Native American community. They have their successes and failures along the way of natural resource management. Also, Minnesota has a population over 5 million, Native Americans make up about 50,000 of that, or about 1.1% of our population. Historically their population has been even smaller. I believe the DNR should work with Native Americans on treaty rights, land and waters in a cooperative spirit as they have of late been doing, but I wouldn't compare the two pound for pound. What could they really teach the DNR about fisheries management that they don't already know or won't learn through time via science? I think their culture could teach MN citizens a great deal about respecting and conserving nature and the environment, but Native Americans nor the DNR are going to make individuals change behaviors.

When I mentioned the Native Americans I was referring to your last comment of respecting and conserving our natural resources, and truly believe we can learn a lot from them. It's funny, but valid to mention this...every guide I've ever had in Canada has been Native American...and we've always caught fish. Just one example, and probably not the best one either. I can't stand politics nor science! The Native American community has to have an opinion on this issue and I'd like to hear it.

Im gonna head to ND the week before MN opener, am i misusing their resorces, no because their game and fish department believe and have studied that there will be no negitive effects coming from non res or res people fishing during the spawn.

There are other species in MN, i will be crappie fishing here shortly in MN, just like some people from North Dakota will too.

I will say that if we could fish before mid may, i would have alot of walleyes on my wall instead of the zero i have now, does that bother me, not at all, there is a reason, and thats what people have to understand.

A. Shae

I look at this in a different way, I grew up in MI where the season always opens on May 15, it doens't matter what day of the week it falls on, that's the way it is. Many people complain when it falls midweek, many don't. I personnaly liked it when it fell midweek because it meant less people.

Awhile back I listened to some old timers talking about the 3 openers (MI, WI and MN) and the fact that they were all close together. After a lot of talk, they decided it was probably due to the fact that many people will buy licenses in all 3 states (especially the border folks). This way those people fish 3 openers and flood local economy's with much needed revenue. I know there are many places between Duluth and Bessemer, MI where some small towns are dying due to lack of tourism. If this is the rational behind the openers for the 3 states, then I applaud the DNR's for doing it this way.

I personnaly think it has to do with the fact that walleye spawn at different times in the 3 states and that is the main reason. Regardless of the resaoning I will continue to fish all 3 states and spend my money in the bars, gas stations and bait shops when I do.

Who are you people and how much time do you devote to fishing!!! Last year I probably spent 100 hours on the water and never, never caught a limit of eye's or northerns. And I fished leach, cass, winnie, etc.,. Either you all are very good at fishing or just spend a lot more time at it. For us AVERAGE people who get out on on Memorial, Fourth and labor the fishing is not THAT GREAT nor are we the ones pulling all the fish out of the lakes!! Cmon, don't make it sound like everyone is getting limits!! If the fishing is so great, then why are the numbers declining in the state and if the number of fishermen is declining, why do we still need all these regs?? Maybe this is why pleasure boating is rising instead of fishing. Ok let me have it.

When you only fish the holiday weekends of the year you are fishing when every tom ,harry, dick are fishing and riding jet ski's. You are fishing after the bait fish have hatched and the food is more plentifull thus making the fishing harder. You are fishing those weekends no matter what the weather is doing and you might be dealing with adverse front conditions. You are limiting your chances of catching fish by going out only on the holiday weekends. That doesn't mean that fish cannot be caught than or you can't catch a limit than just more difficult.

Fishinpapa- I too am the "average" fisherman. I don't get out near as much as I would like and I rarely catch a limit. Why are numbers of anglers declining? First off, there are fewer kids fishing/hunting. There are so many kids that spend countless hours playing video games, at some kind of sport practice or tournament. This goes on all year. Along with that, who do you think is bringing these kids to all of this stuff??? Their parents, thus taking away another group of potential anglers. In today's society there are so many things for people to do. Many work 2 jobs, and don't have a lot of free time, hence less time to fish. People are just busier and the outdoors are less important to a lot of people than before. I'm sure someone will tell me I am all wrong, but that is what I see anyway.

Everytime I go to the lakes I dont think there are less people fishing. Hell I used to fish alot of different lakes that never had other people then the locals on it, now they are full! Landings are always full. Ice fishing is redicules! You cant tell me there are less ice angelers! The dnr just wants more money, thats all. I can see that there are less kids on the lakes as for vidio games and sports, but the lakes dont look that way when Im fishing them. I think the dates for mn opener is set just right, let the fish have a few months to do there thing, a little less pressure. Let the fish forget about my favorite lure for a few months, so after opener its a supprise to them again. If I get the urge to fish before the opener, I target carp, crappies, sunnies, bull heads, sheapshead, whatever is biting. If I have to go catch walleye I can go to red wing for a weekend! MN has alot of good fishing lakes that are taking a break for a couple months, and of this time, there is alot of unsafe ice. If seasons were open in this time I think there would be a few people risking their lives for a couple fish during this time of year.

It's a misleading statement to say that the number of anglers are down in the state of MN. Percentage of the population wise, yes numbers are down. But if you go by the number of fishing licenses sold, there are actually more anglers every year, about 5000 more fishing licenses per year the last ten years in MN. So they wil sell about 50,000 more licenses this year than they did ten years ago. It all adds up, we only have a limited number of lakes, and adding 5,000 more anglers every year will have an effect on the resource. Put me down as another supporter of seasons and slot limits.

I completely agree Duffman. I would much rather have slot limits than no fish!! Don't get me wrong, I love to keep a meal of fish now and again, but isn't the true joy in the catching, not the eating. I for one think there should be a slot on panfish. Something like, you can only keep 5 crappies over 12" and 10 sunfish over 10" and 10 perch over 12". It would help protect these big spawning fish during the early open water season, but still allow you to keep some for a meal. I wish they had a license plate for "SEASONS & SLOTS". I'd have one for sure!!!

• 2 weeks later...

No come on seriously...a 4 fish limit would be plenty...and opener is what it is, a money maker. If ya need and eye or 2 in the offseason head to nd or sd...give and take there are plenty of fish to go around...if u can catch them!!! Headed to Sd again this weekend....if catching 100+ eyes in a day isnt fun then I think it time to quit fishin!!! bottomline is get off your duffs and go enjoy what the other states have to offer!!!

Walleyeaddict

I agree completly with your statements, all of it. I dont see why there needs to be a six fish limit and dont see the problems with going too a four fish limit.