• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WBL crappies today (Sun April 15)

Hey.. anyone having any luck yet?.. saw a lot of boats on WBL today! Manitou Island lot actually filled up... although the docks aren't in yet.

We got skunked!.. water 47 degrees.. tried all over for around 6 hours.. saw many other boats but didn't see anyone pull in a thing! Tried all kinds of plastics and beetle spins etc.. didn't have live bait.. maybe that would have been the ticket.

Wondering if they are still deep? TOO cold I bet.. last year the water was 54 when I had my first really good crappie day.

been out on a little lake in plymouth, parkers lake catching some sunnies and a couple little crappies, 10 ft of water 3 ft down, flu flus with waxxies, however, all too small to keep

way too nice of a day to be inside cool.gif, even got a burn smirk.gif

I wasn't out on WBL today but I was around the corner at Bald Eagle. I got skunked too. Not even a bite. I tried little minnows and some mealworms on small jigs.

I talked to a couple of people pulling out at the launch, 2 boat fulls of people got skunked and another boat full had 1 sunnie.

I think the water might be a little too cold still. The air temp today though was great!

Skunked also. 7 hours on the boat. Nothing. Marked em in deeper water, but they didnt want to bite.

But hey, a bad day fishings better then a good day at work! laugh.gif

I've been out three times since last Saturday (4-7-07), have tried all over the lake with no success, not one bite. still too cold.

I was on.......lets just say....the lake across from wbl. Sat and sunday morning. In about 2 hours, us 3 hooked up to atleast 80-100 crappies. Sunday morning was also fantastic! A Green grub was Saturday's ticket! White grub with a hot pink head was for sunday. They should all be there still! We released everything we got. Thats all I can tell you guys! grin.gif Happy hunting!

I fished the western bays of Minnetonka yesterday with no luck. Depths from 1-10 fow, and not even a nibble. They weren't at any of their muddy/buggy haunts, but I'm sure they will by mid-week or next weekend. I think it was still a little too cool out there.

Unreal! You must mean across as in Minnetonka? Haven't heard of really any bite yet in the NE lakes (ie.. wb, bald eagle, etc)

I have too many buddies on here and they'd kill me if I shared too much info. You'd have to try to figure it out and fish. Watch for people! grin.gif

Katman, were there any size to crappies at your magic lake? You say that you released them all, but was that because you weren't hungry for fish or because you didn't catch anything big?

I must agree that Katman's magic lake "across" from WBL must have been Minnetonka. It wasn't BE that's for sure.

My kid kept bugging me to get out and I kept telling him "too cold--not yet!" Looks like I was right.

I can say get on WB early this year, because unless we get alot of rain this spring, it is going to be a somewhat miserable boating season. Shades of 1989.

LA

I fished WBL yesterday for about 5 hours. We caught a ton of little gills, but just a handful of crappies.

As for the secret lake spoke of in a previous post, you really don't want to eat anything out of there. It used to be a sewage treatment pond. shocked.gif

Shallow launches, shallow bays, shallow in many places. Of course I guess if that keeps the weekend warriors off it could be a quieter season for fishing. The shoreline along the west side of the lake could be at the weedline by July 4--that's lot of lost area.

If it really is 'THAT' lake.. no wonder.. no one fishes it (too polluted and no ramp).. and it's so small and shallow it probably up to 57 degrees! And what's with that odd turquoise color?

I talked to the DNR about that lake about 5 years ago. They said "Its safe to eat fish out of it" shocked.gif Not safe enough for me. There are some big gills in there you can catch from shore.

Is it perhaps the lake that fills up with divers (ducks) in spring and fall, occessionally? smile.gif If so, yeah, I wouldn't eat from that lake, hehe. But would be fun to c/r a bunch!

I had a slow day on Sunday on a metro lake. Managed to get 5-6 crappies, all under 7 inches. I saw a few crappies shallow, including a monster, but I only caught fish in deeper water. I also hooked a walleye and a bass, which were real fun to fight on my flimsy panfish rod.

You should have listened to your kid LA! I was out on Saturday and CPR'd some dandies. Suprisingly, I found them in some well known community spots although I had the place to myself. Fancasting a 1.5 inch Lil Hustler tube did the trick. Water depth and speed of retrieve were more critical than color.

Box,

It's that lake. In fact there were some beautiful bluebills right by the highway today. I guess a former sewage treatment pond gives a whole new meaning to diving duck.

Well if it is Goose Lake on 61 that is the mystery lake, they found a body in it this afternoon! That did not stop the man they interviewd on KSTP News from keepin on fishin though. blush.gif

They also said it is a very popular fishing lake. shocked.gif

I've never heard of anything but bullheads coming out of Goose/Little Goose. Been living in the area for 35 years, I've seen someone fishing it about twice. If someone caught a mess of Crappies in there, I'll eat a bowl of catail root stew....

Last spring there were people elbow to elbow on the northeast shore of Goose along White Bear Ave. They must of been catching something, because they started pruning the small shrubs to make more room to fish.

Wow...I just saw the article! Scary stuff! Bring the catails because there sure are crappies in there! And lots of other things. There are lots of dead bullies too. I wonder why? confused.gif

Hey CR, my boat isn't even ready man, and now this weekend I have to re build a fence and Missy's going to the cabin--how fair is that?

I think you were the exception not the rule but I'd like to know where you were. Stop in this weekend if you get out, and give me the good word. I'll have a chop saw going and three kids throwing, shooting and kicking balls around the yard but I'll have a cold one ready for ya.

And as for Goose, a half dozen people fishing the east shore of east goose this morning. I think the word is out.

Fence schmence.

I'll stop by if I am around this weekend. Plans are being negotiated and the only fence I have to maintain is invisible.........

Wow.. that body found in 'that' lake WAS the missing White Bear Lake West Point cadet after all.. I feel so bad for the family, but I am sure they wanted closure in this ongoing mystery. My prayers go out to them.

Drove by "that" lake on the way home from the daughters Lacross practice and the usual shore fishing brigade was out with their 5 gallon pails. There must have been 30 people fishing there tonight.

Did "that lake" seriously used to be a sewage treatment pond? How long ago?

I don't know but the houses around there (I am guessing on this) where built in the 50's and 60's. I would say based on the age of the houses that if this was a treatment pond that it had to be cleaned up before anyone would build around there. So, based on that theory I am going to guess that it's been at least 60 years. I think that's long enough to let the crap settle to the bottom.