• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are prices at Big name stores negotiable?

Stores like Joes, Gander, Cabelas. The sales guys always say they can get you a great deal but can they really drop the prices or can you work a better price? grin.gif

The price of anything is negotiable. It depends on how badly the seller wants to sell and how much the buyer needs it.

Of course, in most retail situations you're dealing with an employee that does not have the authority to change the price and then you might get the impression the price is non-negotiable and in most cases that's true because there are enough other buyers out there willing to pay the price.

Bob

Cabelas seems to be at times. If you pair up a rod and reel they will at times give you a discount... at least I've had luck at the East Grand Forks Cabelas.

marine_man

That seems to be the case. I've had nice discounts for purchasing a few rods from Joes and Cabelas. But I was wondering if the price was actually solid...or workable. Seems to be both...depending on the situation. tongue.gif

Coming from retail experience at one of the above mentioned stores, prices are generally not negotiable. For a selling point we will spool a reel with free line , or knock 10% or so off of a reel when you buy a rod...but generally prices are set at the rates you see.

Not to mention that some items are price protected. If a company finds out you are selling below the retail, that company will pull their items off the shelves. This is so that the smaller ma and Pa bait shops can sell the same products and not get undercut by the major chains.

Some companies do this.. but not all.