• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Microchips

Harmonica Bear

Anybody have thoughts on microchipping your dogs. I am having it done today regardless, but just wondering if I am wasting my money. If this has been discussed once already please give me the link. I tried to do a search, but nothing came up.

It's been used before to reunite dogs with their owners - including a recent case that made national news. I think the owners lost the dog 2-4 years ago and the dog was in Montana and the owners lived in Kansas or something like that. A scan of the dog and a couple phone calls was all it took to reunite the dog & owner.

I think there are at least a couple different manufacturers. I'd try to find more info on that and then do some research on the best or most popular one for your area.

There are a couple of different microchip brands. Most work along the 125 mhz signal. Avid and Home Again are two of the bigger ones. If you ever want to bring you dog internationally for field trials, you typically have to get a chip that is 134 mhz which is the international standard.

I personally think that getting the chip is a good idea, especially if you plan on having the dog out in the field alot, and far from home. My little guy is getting one put in next month when he gets snipped. For me it is just an extra piece of mind that heaven forbid I were to lose him, my daughter would be lost without her buddy. My Vet recommends the home again and for the price seems well worth it for the life (hopefully long) of your friends and companions. grin.gif

Just go to the Humane Society shelter the 4th week of phesant season in Sioux Falls and see for yourself. There are a ton of really nice hunting dogs there that were lost in the field.

It's not a lot of money and if you take your dog in the field it's a good idea.

What is the price for the chip? I'll be getting a pup later this summer and have been going back and forth on this issue. I never thought about the lost dog in SD or ND senario.

Don't quote me, but I'm thinking it was ballpark around 40 dollars for the chip and 15 bucks for the registration.

That's a ballpark. I had my dogs chip put in 2 years ago and I have a hard time remembering things that happened yesterday.

Quote:

I have a hard time remembering things that happened yesterday.

I little 2 shot ethanol lunch???? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

I got the Home Again chip last week. $34 for the chip and $17 to register. I feel good about it and glad I did it just for the piece of mind if nothing else.

Do you have to pay a fee if you use it to locate your dog, or was this included in purchase price of chip and install?

You can go to their website to get more info. But in a nustshell. There is the basic service (one time $17) that will notify you if your pet turns up at a shelter or vet. You need to keep your contact info and your noted vet info current. There is also an advanced service (yearly fee)that will notify all shelters and vets if your dog goes missing etc. Kind of the doggy version of an amber alert.

Also - I believe many vets also like the chips because they will scan the dogs - and especially if you have two similar dogs, it virtually eliminates dog mix up or ownership issues.

Quote:

I little 2 shot ethanol lunch???? hehehe

3, Mix it with lemonade and YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

Thanks for the info. That's a good peace of mind for a little amount of money...I'll probably do if it's that cheap

Not sure about CERF but if you want an OFA number to show up with the AKC (future pedigree, stud book), you need either microchip or tattoo. This requirement is not that old so that is why the older dogs still have the info listed.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.