• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fenwick, St. Croix, or G-Loomis?

LBSPORTSMEN

My buddy was standing on the deck of his boat and hit the trolling motor on accident....Well, he fell on the loomis and snapped it. I took it to Capras, no ?'s asked, $50 later, I had a brand new rod.

I'm not sure on the St. Croix's, but I'm pretty sure that you bring it in and it's free, no ?'s asked.

Depends on what type of fishing you're doing. I'm pretty casual and don't get too competitive about it. Certainly spend the $$$ if you're very serious (I'd probably be checking out the nice Loomis blanks for that).

I've borrowed some of the higher end Fenwicks and they are okay. I recently broke a St Croix Premier (low end) and was out of warranty period (great value rod). Gave me a chance to get an Avid in Medium power. Feels great and you can't beat the lifetime warranty on it. I then bought a St Croix Triumph series in Medium Light for the wife (identical to the premiere I broke). The Triumph is apparently replacing the low end Premiere's and is made overseas and thus the lower price.

My vote is for Loomis. I own three of them and none have ever failed me. I've broke all 4 St. Croix rods I've owned. St. Croix has been excellent for replacement, but when they break they are out of service. I gave all four of them to my son. Loomis rods might be expensive, but after 15 years pass and you still have the same rod at an initial cost of $200 to $300 the cost is about $15 per year.

Check out SAGE blanks. I've got a 7 foot jigging rod that is having its 25th birthday this year and it is the #1 rod for my walleye fishing.

I confirm the the St Croix Premiere do break, snap like twigs after some time of use. I surmise it might be UV damage, but what do I really know...I still like my St Croix.

My father had an old two piece Fenwick something over 20 yrs - but I lost the top piece fishing over a (Contact Us Please) on my cast.

I have a 6' Fenwick Blackhawk that I purchased in 1979. This rod is my favorite jigging and slinging rod. I have two other Fenwick rods, 6'6" and a 7'6". Also in the inventory are 2 Shimano baitcaster rods, 1 Abu Garcia spinning rod and one 11' Cabela's Crappie rod. I like them all. G-loomis is very good, so is St.Croix, as well as others not so well known.

I buy my fishing gear to last and so most of my rods' are on the pricey side. Remember you will be hanging on to this rod for several hours at a time, so make sure it feels comfortable in your hand. Good Luck

A $130 rod...I'll never understand. Much like the 150 HP motors, its just an extension of one's penis. In 10 years you'll see boats with 400 hp engines catching sunnies. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahaha. Ya look good on Hiway 169 though don't ya?

I used to feel the same way till I fished with a high end fenwick now I won't buy rod for under 100 bucks - they are just that good! cool.gif

Faner

Do you know something? Is it Yamaha, Honda, Mercury or Evinrude thats designing that motor? I can't wait.

I have a Fenwick HMX and as far as sensativity I really enjoy fishing with it. I'm also going to be in the market for another rod this year and I would like to here more about warranties. When I baught my Fenwick the very first day I used it one of my carpeted compartment covers fell on the tip and broke it. It had a five year warranty but when I took it back to the place I baught it. I was asked how it broke and I told the truth. It was like pulling teeth to get it replaced at no cost but I did finally get a new rod. The dealer told me the warranty only covered the rod if it broke while in the act of catching a fish. He said that most warrantees on rod are like that. I told him so the warranty an a fishing rod is like a warranty on a tire. Worthless!! I also read that loomis is a no questions asked for $50. It should be more like a $5 stocking fee for one of the employees to go get a new one to take the place of the one they gave you. The $50 is probably what it costs them to actually make the rod. Is their a company out there that just asks no questions and gives you a new rod? Shimano?

You have a misconception of a warranty. If my virtually indestructable Rhino stick broke because I use it as a wading stick, I think that'll like shooting yourself in the foot because you load the rifle and pointed it to your foot. Then released the safety and yet pulled the trigger. Then you want the rifle company to pay for you hospital and rehab bill.

I haven't actually done it myself, but it sounds like the St Croix's are easy to get replaced. No fee for the Avid model and above for the life of the rod. The lifetime warranty is why I bought it (and I really liked my lower end St Croix).

Quote:

You have a misconception of a warranty. If my virtually indestructable Rhino stick broke because I use it as a wading stick, I think that'll like shooting yourself in the foot because you load the rifle and pointed it to your foot. Then released the safety and yet pulled the trigger. Then you want the rifle company to pay for you hospital and rehab bill.

Why don't you just kick my dog while your at it. I believe if someone is going to put warranty on something they should stand behind it. Take a vehicle. If I baught a brand new truck and took it home and decided to do tranny drops all day long until the tranny went out. It would be covered under the warranty. Why anyone would do this I don't know but that's a warranty. But a rod breaking from a carpeted compartment is an accident. It's not like I took the rod and beat it against a pole. What was it that Tommy Boy said, "I could take and crap in a box and stamp it Garranteed but all you would be getting is a piece of crap." Maybe their isn't a company that makes a rod with what I consider a "warranty" but if anyone knows of one that would be great.

I have broken several Rapala rods and have never had a problem getting a new one if it was still int he warranty period, one i accidentally closed the trunk of my car on, one the window was rolled up on, and one the dog got to, but they never had any questions at Fleet Farm when i brought it back to get a new one.

Quote:

Quote:

Why don't you just kick my dog while your at it. I believe if someone is going to put warranty on something they should stand behind it. Take a vehicle. If I baught a brand new truck and took it home and decided to do tranny drops all day long until the tranny went out. It would be covered under the warranty. Why anyone would do this I don't know but that's a warranty. But a rod breaking from a carpeted compartment is an accident. It's not like I took the rod and beat it against a pole. What was it that Tommy Boy said, "I could take and crap in a box and stamp it Garranteed but all you would be getting is a piece of crap." Maybe their isn't a company that makes a rod with what I consider a "warranty" but if anyone knows of one that would be great.

I don't mean you rub you the wrong way, but "warranty" and customer service are two different things and yet go hand in hand. Do they want to keep your business or do they lay it down to you and say you're screwed. It's great customer service that you get a new replacement.

It's like if you buy electronics from Best Buy or Circuit City, you ought to hear the warranty and guarantee pitch. So you pay more to get more stuff covered or you go with what customer service is all about.

For your truck, I'll think that warrants a recall on the tranny. LOL's

Quote:

I have broken several Rapala rods and have never had a problem getting a new one if it was still int he warranty period, one i accidentally closed the trunk of my car on, one the window was rolled up on, and one the dog got to, but they never had any questions at Fleet Farm when i brought it back to get a new one.

That's called customer service. Try telling them the next time you use a fising pole for a light saber and the guides all went missing. I'm not sure if the employee behind the counter wants to spend the next hour arguing with you or they rather you leave the store and be content.

Bobb-o,

thanks for the reply. How do you like the Rapala rod? What was the price? How long is the warranty good for? I almost always seem to break something the day after the warranty runs out.

I know stuff happens but if you are worried about breaking a rod and not having the warrenty cover it you should really consider getting an ugly stick. They only run 50 bucks top and they are the most durable rod out there. Last year field and stream had an article on them. I just took in a talk at Cabaleas and the pro there said that all he uses are ugly sticks. Plus you still have a sales slip to return the thing. Its well worth it comparied to spending the money on a spendy rod.

Do the Ugly Sticks have a no hassle warranty? Here's my beef with the warranty thing. I have always been a Berkley Lightning rod man. In 20 years of Fishing I have never broke a rod. I was in the local bait shop and looking at buying a new Berkley rod. The owner asked me all the typical questions, what are you going to fish for, etc. He talked me into a Fenwick and these were the words that sold me on it besides how highly he recommended it, "It comes with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY if ANYTHING breaks". Like I said I broke the tip off and explained that to him. He then said the warranty only covers the rod if the rod malfunctions or breaks while in the process of catching a fish. If I would have known that in the beginning I never would have bought it. I'm sure their maybe someone out there who as had a fish break their pole, But I have never had that happen and have never heard of anyone I know catching fish around here that breaks their pole. Maybe if someone was trying to lift a 20lb carp out of the water into their boat using just their pole then maybe. But like I said I have only ever used Berkley Lightning rods before and it seems like they know how to make a product.

I honestly don't know you would have to check for yourself, but if I had to guess id say no. Its not a very espensive rod so I doubt it. Also I had the same problem with a Shimiano reel. I don't think there are many products out there, espially rods that have a hassel free warrenty but the Ugly Stick is a good good rod. I have a St. Croix, and a Fenwick but I have 3 Ugly Sticks they have a realy nice feel, and are very durable.

slot limit,

i would call fenwick and send your rod in. My dad has been using fenwicks for a while and he has never had a problem getting a new rod for the dumbest of reasons. Tips broke in doors, etc.. Their customer service is very good. I would give them a call, my guess is that they would be happy to send you a new rod if you send them your broken one.

Dan,

Thanks for the advise, but the dealer did finally replace my rod after about 10 minutes of talking. It would just be nice to buy a rod, if it breaks, walk into the store and grab a new one. In and out in 5 minutes no hassle. Instead of contacting this person and then getting transfered to that person.