• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fenwick, St. Croix, or G-Loomis?

LBSPORTSMEN

Hey all, I'm looking to get some opinions on a 6'6" 1pc jig/live bait rod. I have been looking at Fenwick's Techna AV, St.Croix and G-loomis. Is there anything out there that is as good, but easier on the pocket?

I was looking for a graPhite rod earlier this year myself. do a search in this forum for "graphite rod" for the topic. alot of good info there.

O

take a look at the Rapala line of rods, very reasonably priced, and just as sensitive. They alos come with a warranty.

Those three I consider to be the top three out there. I personally have a 6' GLoomis that I really like. I personally don't like St. Croix as well. Fenwicks are a very nice rod also.

Might want to add some of the new Shimano's into that category as well. Some like them....others dont. I just bought a new loomis and a St Croix jigging rod this year. Havent tried out the Loomis but the Croix landed a couple eyes already.

I hav a st croix, and a gloomis, like them both. Grab a rod mount a real on it when your in the store, then buy the one you think feels the best in your hand!

I would look at the shimanos if you want something cheaper than g-loomis etc. I have g-loomis, st.croix and fenwicks and they are all great. But shimano has released some amazing rods for the cost of them. Also remember the over the counter lifetime warrenty.

I have 2 loomis IMX spinning. They are great rods. G Loomis got bought out by Shimano. I also have 3 St. Croix, 2 casting and 1 ultra lite. St. Croix, mid-line & up has a 5 yr to lifetime warranty. Loomis, $50 gets you a new rod.

They are all good rods, but make sure you check out the Shimano Crucial! A 6'6" rod will retail for $139.99. It has a lifetime over the counter warrenty. Great rods!

I have had a 5.5' Fenwick HMG series for 20 years and an additional 6' HMG for 5 years. I think both of these rods are good walleye rods. The Fenwick HMGs sell for $120.00 to $130.00 at Cabela's I also have a 6.5' Fig Rig walleye rod that works very well. The Fig Rigs are a Minnesota made rod that sells in the $100.00 range. I've never fished with a St. Croix or G. Loomis but I would think that they are also good rods. I've just never been willing to pay for them. The most important thing is that you get the right rod for what you are going to use it for, regardless of who makes it or how much it costs. Sensitivity is everything when you are jigging walleyes.

the gander mt. guide series rods are awsome for the price IMO, check them out u'll prob be able to get 3 of them for the price of one st.croix or g-lomis,

I also agree with the posts on the Shimanos. They are excellent rods for the money, and they have a great warranty.

As far as the other big three go, I think that the Fenwick Technas are fantastic, I don't think you'd be disappointed going that route. I think they go for around $205 currently.

Hello:

All 3, in my opinion are great poles. I personally have a 6'6" St. Croix which was really great for 2 years until the top ring fell off. Thinking that it was just a fluke, I talked with my brother who has 2 St. Croix's (Premiers) and he told me the same thing happened to him. My suggestion is: If you want to buy anyone of these poles, id recommend a G. Loomis all the way. BUT if your kinda worried about your checkbook, you can never go wrong with the store brands like Gander Mountain Guide Series or Cabelas poles. They are considerably cheaper and, in my opinion, are sturdy and reliable poles with a great feel to them. Very Balanced and well built, comparable to ANY of the top brands. I personally like the Cabelas IM8 Graphite Brands and own 2 of them. My personal, top 3 Rank 1) G. Loomis 2) Cabelas brand 3) St. Croix. BUT either way...your getting a new fishing pole...and that all itself is awesome. Good Luck!

I would also recommend looking at the Falcon line of rods. I started using Falcon rods for jigging and lindy rigging walleye about two years ago. The sensitivity of these rods is awesome allowing me to keep in contact with the bottom and feel the bight. I came across the Falcon rod line at my local bait shop in Madison Lake MN.

All GREAT poles -- So are some of the "Big Store" Outfitter rods. They are made by some of the bigger names in the Biz so I would look at them too. Plus when your "kid" braks the tip off, just bring it down and many of them will replace them right off the shelf, no questions asked.

Ask them before you break last year's rod and look for a new one.

As far as the Big 3 -- My Bro-in-law and one of my buddies LOVE the G-loomis -- I have a St. croix 5 footer and love it for jigging.

Someday I am going top spend the money and check out the "G."

My $1.25

Hitman

I have both St. Croix and now a Guide Series. One of my St. Croixs has IM8 graphite, the Guide Series has IM9 graphite for the same price...about $80. All the rods you mention will be more than enough to do the job, just comes down to how they feel in your hand. I'm not willing to spend $200 on a rod, but the St. Croix Tournament Walleye rod feels like a great rod.

My vote is for Shimano Crucial Rods. I have had one for two years now and love it. I will be buying at least 3 more in the next couple of weeks. For the money it's a great deal. Very senitive and strong. Do yourself a favor and at least take a look at them. I think you will be bringing one home.

Thanks for all of the good info. I am not so much worried about the pocket book. It's my back! Holding one of those rods I will have the wife smacking my backside with one of the unbreakable "Ugly Sticks"!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO the st croix avids are one of the best deals out there. $150 and a lifetime warranty. Very light and sensitive. Check around with some custom rodbuilders. I found a guy that builds rods on an avid blank with identical guides and handles as the factory. Paid $130 plus shipping.

St. Croix hands down...especially the top end...I have 2 legend elite's, 2 legend tournament and a few Avids....all lifetime warranteed. However you compare an elite with an avid you are comparing a filet mignon to sirlion. Seriously speaking they are the best rods I could imagine and I have never had issues with them and never had to use a warrantee, but at least the comfort level is there just in case. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind trying a couple GLX's or IMX's but St. Croix has treated me well and I haven't had the desire to buy anything else.

Any GLX user out there that can compare the differences between it and the IMX? Would love to hear if the differences are the same as the St. Croix models and my perception of the differences.

Thanks!

Loomis no question. smile.gif

If money does not matter you can't beat a loomis in my opinion.

Loomis is the best of the best in my opinion,imx 8400 one of the best rods ever made until the glx srj722 came along you can actually feel the jig or live bait rig being picked up the glx is worth the extra $100 you will catch more fish with a glx just by having it in your arsenal they are very very light and ultra sensitive just my opinion,and thorne brothers can make you a great rod perfect to your liking for around $350 with a glx blank.

Check into the Fig Rig line of rods. Made in MN, very sensitive, and reasonably priced.

Do the lifetime warranties on the high end rods include only manufacture defects, or do they include any type of broken rod-ie car door snap?

I would give another vote to take a look at the Shimanos. You can get into very nice rods in the $70-$140 range and the lifetime warrenty on them is definately a nice added touch. I was holding them last night and really liked the way they felt. They have great Fuji guides on them and priced a little better for us poor fishing guys.

CA

I have G Loomis, Avids and Shimano Crucial. All very good but my latest favorite rod for jigging is a Limit Creek 6' 9" Smoothie. Has extra fast tip but plenty of backbone. Extremely sensitive and a great river rod. Haven't had time to try it out on the lakes trolling or rigging but Turk designed them to be an all around rod. For the money this is one great rod. Little hard to find so check out their website for a local dealer. They sell for around $70 and are as good as the other rods mentioned IMO.

Most Highend rods have limited lifetime warranties.All the rod makers take pretty good care of their customers though.They may charge you a little bit for replacement of a rod depending on how it broke.Ill tell you though,if I break one it always happened on a hookset wink.gif.As far as rods go buy what you like,go somewhere that has all the rods and choose wisely.I prefer 7ft or longer for riggin though..2cents

I have a 5'3" Fenwick HMX ML-power with a Pflueger size 20 reel. the center of ballance is right over the reel spool. If you ask me, I would say; It's one heck of a jiging setup. Just hook your pinky finger around the the reel stem and you'll love it to.

If you are anywhere near Spirit Lake Iowa you might consider a visit to the Fishermans Factory outlet store. They carry fenwick rods at really good prices as well as other Berkley Stren and a few other manufacturers products. The Store is on hghway 9 right across from the Purefishing world headquarters.

If you make the trip to Spirit Lake within the next week or so you can also check out the Iowa fish hatchery, as they are harvestng eggs for hatching. I was there yesterday and they already have some good sized walleye, northern, and musky in the holding tanks. The building is open 24/7 while they are netting and hatching.