• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

24 volt trolling motor wiring, and battery mounts

Sutty

Question

I bought a 1850 fishawk without a trolling motor. I bought a 24 volt Minkota and need to install it. The boat does have the plug recepticle with cables going to the battery compartment, they are marked as 12/24v so I think I am ok there. I need to figure out how to connect the batteries together to make them 24 volt and I need to install some battery holders. The compartment is next to the console and you need to open a second door that is basically going down to the hull. Not sure I really like the design since water will be going past the batteries when it rains etc. Anyone else have an 1850 and did you change where you put the batteries?

Oh and can I still connect my bow mount depth finder to the trolling motor batteries somehow or should I run that back to the starting battery?

6 answers to this question

DO NOT run your locator to a 24V battery set up unless it says it is ok, which most likely it is not. You could fry it. The wire should be run back to the starting battery. As for 24 set up you can do a search of the subject but I believe you just run a wire from - to + on the other battery and you have 24 v juice.

I should have clarified. I was wondering if you could put some kind of reducer in to bring it back down to 12 volts for the fish finder. Probably easier to just run it to the starting.

I'm not sure on a reducer, but you really want to avoid connecting to the trolling motor batteries for your locator due to inteference from the trolling motor showing up on some locators.

marine_man

Generally, when a boat is configured for 12/24 volt wiring, you connect the batteries to the leads provided for them - one pair of leads (+ and -) to the + and - posts on one battery.

How you wire plug that goes on the trolling motor power wire (or other accessories) is what determines if you supply 12 volts or 24 volts to the device.

For other accessories not going to a plug-in, don't worry, it's really easy. Just wire them to any single 12v battery. As long as you connect the + and - lead of your depth finder to the + and - posts of ONE battery, you will only get 12 volts.

As noted though, sometimes you can get interference if you connect to the battery(s) used by the trolling motor.

I connect all my accessories to my starting battery that is a dual purpose starting/deep cycle battery of larger capacity than normally just for starting.

I have a follow-up question on the same item. I just purchased a 24v Minn Kota. I have a Marinco plug. When I pull it apart, it appears that the ground stays in the same hole, but I use the 24v hole now instead of the 12v. This seems obvious, but the book only mentions 12v motors and 12/24v motors, not straight 24v. It says to hook the 12v up to the 12v and the 24v up to the 24v for a 12/24 setup. Should I hook up the ground to one hole and the 24v to the 24v hole?

Your plug is probably internally jumpered between the ground and batteries to make 24V.

So, connect the ground wire on the trolling motor to the grounded port and the other wire on the trolling motor to the 24 volt port and you should be in good shape.

marine_man

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.