• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
A1000HOOK

Smelt Run Eagles Nest Lake

A1000HOOK

Do people still get smelt in Eagles Nest Lake?

monstermoose78

that run never lasts very long

A1000HOOK

Great Outdoors - Some of the locals took their own surveys

of the fish population in Eagles Nest, and I can tell you

there is a very small pop. of Lake Trout in Eagles Nest. Not

too many people know this. The old time Pioneer Miners knew

this, maybe you heard this also. Most people who read this,don't know the location of Pioneer, Zenith, or Sibleys

mines.

Great Outdoors

A friend's grandfather, Jalmer Rostad (sp?) caught one in Eagles Nest 1 in the 60's, but I haven't heard of one since.

I imagine with smelt to munch on, and the deep hole, they could survive. smile.gif

Ainokea

Casaloma, care to chime in?

RodNGun

Ainokea what island you on. I lived In Kona for a winter. I like your name. I do what I like.

Casaloma

Hey Dave, Were fresh back from Arizona! First time to the Grand Canyon- no fishing: tongue.gif

I've chimed in on this subject before, most folks I've talked to dip net in the culvert between lakes 2 & 3. Seems pretty hit or miss. Since the lakes are privately owned on nearly all the shoreline its difficult to scout out a beach or other areas to pull along the shoreline. Now that's only what I've seen in the last 25 years. There was a 'hey day' of EN smelting that corresponded to the good times on lake Superior in the late 80's & early 90's when there would be a dozen people at the culvert for a week or so. We would pick up the empties after that to recycle. Recently when I have talked to some smelters that have been just dropping in to see if the fish are in the culvert then moving on to BSide. There may be others in their own places on the lakes, but the only smelt I've caught have been on hook & line while going for pan fish...

Steve Foss

I smelted between 2 and 3 a few years back, but the water had cooled down suddenly and there were very few smelt moving through. Good size, though, much bigger than what I've seen in Burntside.

Isn't 39 degrees the prime water temp to get the smelt run peaking?

Ainokea

RodnGun, yeah, I lived Kona for about 15 years and then moved to Honolulu where I have been for the last 6. I will be headed out to Duluth next month to fish with Casaloma. We are pretty much just some drinking braddahs with a serious fishing problem. Loma, It's too bad the timing was off for Az. I have had some awesome Trout fishing up in the Tonto Nat. Forest area. I got your postcard though, beautiful country yeah? Shoots, D

Surface Tension

Steve, I believe 45 degrees is what smelt like to run in.

Steve Foss

Cool, 45 then. Wish I had some time to work this year's run. Tooooo many other things going on. grin.gif

Surface Tension

Maybe we should take a look when I'm up there.

Steve Foss

You won't have time. Trust me. grin.gif

Surface Tension

Oh joy, too busy to smelt. tongue.gif