• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Onboard Charger or no need?

Badger_55

I just bought a boat and now am putting a 70lb bow mount on. I have to still get my two batts up front but the rigging is ready. My big question is do I need a onboard battery charger for those two batteries or could I get by with a regular deep cycle charger? I would need a two bank onboard if I were to get one but I think they are like a 100 bucks. What do you guys think?

Once you go with an onboard charger you'll never go back. It's so easy and convenient, and keeps your batteries in peak condition.

Like asking if you should put a forced air furnace in a new house you were building, or could you get by with a wood stove?

With a 12 volt portable charger you would have to switch it from 1 battery to the other in the middle of the night if you were fishing consecutive days. Neither battery would be fully charged and you have no idea if they are evenly charged.

On board charger all the way. You will never be sorry. It will pay for itself in extra battery life. I bought and installed the two bank, wish I had gone for three just for the piece of mind. My '84 70 Evinrude seems to have a very good charging system because I have never had an issue with the starting battery.

Yep -- get the three bank and never look back. I had a three on the old boat and loved it. Boaught a 2 for the new boat and I am going to return it and get the three before I open it.

If you get the 2 you will always wonder.

They are expensive.. but I think more than well worth it. I have a 3 bank... And will not buy a boat, or not own a boat that doesnt have an on-baord from here on out!

I would put it on in flash for sure, If you go bass fishing it is essential!

I must be missing something...He said he has 2 batteries to charge, why are you guys recommending he get a 3 bank charger? I'm in the market as well, I thought I understood it was one bank per battery?? Is the 3rd bank just in case he eventually runs a 3rd battery?

I think we assumed bedsides the two up front that Badger_55 was talking about that he also had a starter in the back.

Right it is nice to hook up the starting battery especially if you have lots of electronics on the boat. There are small alternators on outboards but they aren't always enough to fully charge a battery up. Most marine dealers will install 2 banks because they are cheaper.

I bought a dual pro 3 bank last year. 2 banks for my trolling and 1 bank for my main battery. Best money I ever spent. Keep it plugged in all winter and it automatically maintains my batteries. Just plug the cord into the outlet in your boat and walk away during fishing season.

Definitely on board. If you're doing it, you might as well charge the starting battery also. As everyone says, plug it in and walk away. No more removing batteies or having the clamps fall off or so on and so on.

The three bank charger is the way to go.Most boats out there have the trolling motor batteries running only the trolling motor,so that leaves the starting batt to run the electronics,bilge pump and live well pumps plus lights and stereo if you have one.And while bigger motors have alternators,it can still be a drain on your starting battery.Its always nice to have all the batteries topped off everytime out.

At 70lbs I took the post to mean that he likely had a 24v system. Two batterys for the 24v system and one for the starting battery.

How fast do these on-board chargers charge? If I have a completely dead set of trolling motor batteries from a long day on the water, will an on-board charger completely charge them overnight, so they're ready to go in the morning?

Also, with a 24-volt system, would I still need to disconnect the "jumper line" before charging like I do now with the normal charger?

Quote:

The three bank charger is the way to go.Most boats out there have the trolling motor batteries running only the trolling motor,so that leaves the starting batt to run the electronics,bilge pump and live well pumps plus lights and stereo if you have one.And while bigger motors have alternators,it can still be a drain on your starting battery.Its always nice to have all the batteries topped off everytime out.

However, if you've redone your electronics, and ONLY have the starting motor running off of its own battery, you should be fine with a 2 bank, correct??

I've got the trolling motor running off of its own battery, then the electronics have their own battery.

I don't get out too much, since I run a lawn service about 70 hours / week in the summer, so I'm not too worried about full days use of electronics back to back on those single battery setups.

You are correct about the trolling motor with the 24v. I do have quite a bit of electronics hanging with my cranking batt. Question is, Do these onboards have long enough wires to run from the bow of the boat back to the cranking batt.

About the time it takes to charge the batts, the way I understand it you have a variety that you can buy, the amount of banks you need and then there is amps with it. I think the 2bank with 10amp say it takes 10-12hrs while the 20amp two bank takes like 4-6hrs.

Typically the wires will not be long enough to reach from the front to the rear of the boat. You'll need to extend them by using, at a minimum, the same gauge wire as the leads. I believe the last time I did it I used 12 Ga.

marine_man

Quote:

You are correct about the trolling motor with the 24v. I do have quite a bit of electronics hanging with my cranking batt. Question is, Do these onboards have long enough wires to run from the bow of the boat back to the cranking batt.

About the time it takes to charge the batts, the way I understand it you have a variety that you can buy, the amount of banks you need and then there is amps with it. I think the 2bank with 10amp say it takes 10-12hrs while the 20amp two bank takes like 4-6hrs.

You can get extensions at Gndr, right by the chargers.