• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Richmond Marine & Sports Burns

As taken from the St Cloud Times:

RICHMOND — Fire destroyed Richmond Marine & Sports this morning.

A spark from static electricity ignited gasoline that was being transferred from a boat to a container, according to Fire Chief Chuck Martin who is also part owner of the business.

Five employees were inside the business when the fire started. They tried to put out the fire with extinguishers but it spread to the roof.

The call came in at 8:26 a.m. The building is at 45-Fourth Ave. in Richmond.

Cold Spring and Rockville firefighters were also on the scene.

The fire started in the shop and spread throughout the building.

Martin estimated the damage at $800,000 to $900,000. Firefighters are tearing down what’s left of the building and then the rubble will be sprayed with foam.

----------------------

Hopefully no one from here lost their boat in this deal crazy.gif What a lousy time (if there ever is a good time) for a fire!

marine_man

Wow, talk about terrible news. I hope that everyone is ok.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's terrible news. frown.gif

At least everyone got out safely.

No peeps killed is the key...All that other stuff,hey, that is what insurance is for wink.gif

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Definately a sad day for Richmond residents. Richmond Marine was a place of alot of memories for me. Chuck and the guys at Richmond Marine are great guys who are always willing to help you out with a smile. I am glad no one got hurt and I hope in time they rebuild.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I always stop in when I'm up that way. Bought a jon boat from them a few years ago. frown.gif

I would like to add that it was the service station (the old retail store about 10 years ago) that burned.

I don't believe the fire affected the retail store area at all.

I drove by there last night, and it looked like a total loss. frown.gif

They run a great business, I hope they will rebuild.

They do a great job and have a great crew of guys. Sad sight to see last night on my way home.

I drove by there as it was burning yesterday am and it looked like a lost cause at that point. I am a bit surprised that the loss was estimated that high. Looked like a pretty old bld to me-

Michael

RICHMOND — A fire that caused almost $1 million in damage hit close to home for Richmond firefighters Monday: It destroyed part of their fire chief's business.

Firefighters were called at 8:26 a.m. to the service center of Richmond Marine and Sports, which is owned by Fire Chief Chuck Merten and Tim Peters. The building is at 45 Fourth St. SE.

Merten was working when the fire started. A spark from static electricity or a water pump starting ignited vapor from gasoline that was being transferred from a boat to a container, Merten said.

Two customer boats and a new pontoon were in the building, Merten said. He estimated the damage at about $900,000 for the building and its contents.

The building is a total loss. No one was injured.

When the fire started, Merten and employees tried to put it out with fire extinguishers, but it quickly spread to the ceiling. Six employees, including Merten, were in the building when the fire started.

About 50 firefighters from Richmond, Rockville and Cold Spring departments responded to the scene.

Firefighters dumped up to 100,000 gallons of water on the building, Merten said. Firefighters also used foam to cool hot spots.

Firefighters tried to salvage what they could from the office area. Computers and drawers from file cabinets were taken from the building and set on the side of the road.

The building's roof caved in, and firefighters began pulling down walls that were still standing.

Merten said he became a partner in the business in 1980, and he has been a Richmond firefighter since 1982. He has been fire chief for three years.

Richmond Marine and Sports will continue to operate. The service center will temporarily be set up in the sales building, which is up the hill from the building that burned Monday, Merten said.

Merten and Peters were discussing the details of rebuilding the service center Monday afternoon