• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need information on collecting nightcrawlers!

Last year I wanted to raise my own nightcrawlers for fishing, but never got around to it. This year I went out and bought some worm bedding and i have a 10 gallon aquarium that I want to raise nightcrawlers in. I plan on going out some night after all the snow is melted and it starts to rain. Does anybody here go out and collect nightcrawlers, I would like to know what time of year I should start looking for them and if they would multiply enough to use for fishing if I kept them in worm bedding in a aquarium. If anybody knows of a better way of finding them or keeping them please let me know.

Thanks, rdn0301.

Prior to this latest freeze up, I have been picking them up down here in NE Iowa. I have an old refrigerator I keep two 40 qt. styrofoam coolers in. I mix up the bedding (store bought) with rain water or water not treated with chlorine, etc. Follow the mixing instructions since you do not want too much or too little moisture in the mix. I keep about 10-15 dozen per cooler and feed them about every 10 days. I bought a box of crushed corn flake crumbs several years ago and still have a long way to go before its gone. I sprinkle the crumbs on the surface of the bedding, lightly covering the entire area. Once a month, you will want to sort through and remove any dead crawlers. Never put any broken crawlers in your bedding. As far as reproducing, I have had that happen but I do not think it is realistic to expect them to multiply with any large numbers. I have kept them all year round this way and will change bedding about every three-four months. Hope this helps.

I will say this ,,,crawlers picked up in the street or driveway after a good warm rain are easy pickens but wont last long as most of their slime is gone from crawling across the pavement ,,,I get some from the electric rods and some from draining our pool ,,crawlers do not like chlorine and I could almost catch them with a net as they almost shoot out of the ground ,,Im fortunate enough to have a pool but one could easily buy some cheap chlorine at menards and mix it in a 55 gallon barrel and slowly siphon it off at sunset to get enough crawlers,,,find a spot in your yard that makes the lawn mower bounce around from the mounds crawlers seem to make and you are golden ,,as others have said thin out the dead and feed every 10 days to 2 weeks and store in a cool place ,,hope this helps

Randoid

Fishook-

Good info, I store them pretty much the same way. I've kept them through the winter, but usually just let them go in the fall and collect more in the spring.

I have my best luck after a bit of a dry spell in early May, followed by a fair rain (half inch or so) late in the day. If you go hunting right at dusk you will do well and they will often be mostly out of the gound. I can usually get a full year supply in a few hours of picking.

LoonASea- I would prefer to do with out the chlorine. There are other ways.

A search on the Equipment-Expert Information board would come up with plenty more info.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its real easy, go out at night after a rain. Randy I know what you mean about the chlorine. When I clean the dog kennel the worms jump out of the ground. Never picked them though because of the scent or chlorine.

You can store them in the fridge but I find if you put the worm container on the basement floor they stay cool. In fact my Uncle owned a bait shop and thats how he stored his crawlers in bath tubs. A cooler works fine for personal use.

Moss works very well for bedding, so does topsoil or a mix of both.

Val Great now you will have another fishing buddy. grin.gif

When I want to collect crawlers, I just mix up a bucket of water and dish soap until it is nice and sudsy, and then just throw this in the yard where I know I have found crawlers before, you will be amazed at how fast they shoot up from the ground...

Sometimes when looking for crawlers in the dark it is much easier to use a flashlight with some colored film type paper over the end of the light. Once I see the crawler, I placed my light to the side a little bit otherwise those babies like to go back down thier hole rather fast.

Another place that usually has tons of crawlers is the golf courses on th fairways. They always water the grass in the evening and around 10-11 pm you can pick up many dozen.

If you know the manager of the course it helps as some dont really care for you to be out there. When I ask for permission, I almost always get permission.

My boys picked up a couple dozen nightcrawlers during the rain March 31, in the western burbs of Minneapolis.

Interesting post, my sons plan to sell some to a guy at my wife's work. I guess he plans to use 'em in Canada. Keep the good info comming.

I did not know crawlers eat Corn Flake Crumbs. No reason for mine to sit around too long, they're a family favorite to fry fish with; dip fillets in egg first, cover with mix crumbs and flour, salt and pepper in fry pan (or egg mix). The delicate flavor doesn't over power the fish.

Quote:

Fishook-

I've kept them through the winter, but usually just let them go in the fall and collect more in the spring.

You need to fish more!!!You should use up that bait ! grin.gif

love the subject.. Use them or you will lose them. keep moist,cool as they will shrink, they are 90% water.

with these prices its like going around picking up quarters. doon,t forget to take care of them when you go fishing.

Ants love to kill them.

When I want crawlers I just take the gardenhose let it run for a few like 5 min and they just start poping up all over the place.