• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Congradulations Jason 8th Place PWT am

When you get back to Fishing Minnesota tell us about your Fishing.We all thought that only Minnesota gets winter.What worked at Chamberlain?

Wow, thanks. I'd say that this last week had some real ups and downs but was one of the greatest experiences I've had in recent years. I've been getting the bait shop ready to go for the season and watching weather patterns for the last few weeks. And wouldn't you know it we get the mother of all April cold fronts the week I go out to the tourney. It was a crazy drive out in the snowstorm but we made it out there. We arrived in Chamberlain and were greeted with 23 degree temps, not exactly the best weather for hitting the river. After checking in at the hotel we unloaded our gear and headed to the PWT rules meeting. Everyone was real excited to see who they drew as partners for the three days. As luck would have it my day 1 partner was none other than Richie Boggs head fishing guide out of our shop. The odds of that occurring in a random draw are crazy. My day 2 and 3 pros were Gerrick Mccomsey and Pat Neu. All my pros are studs in the tournament world, needless to say I was pumped. I knew I had a real good shot of winning the tourney. So I went and met Richie on the morning of day one. When we arrived at the launch site we were informed that day 1 was cancelled due to the weather. Now I was bummed out. I assumed that now I would be fishing the next day with my day two pro. But that afternoon we were told that the tourney was more than likely going to be a one day shootout and we'll be fishing with day 1 partners. The excitement was back and I was ready to hit the water. Day 2 started with 20 degree temps and 5-10 mph nw winds, it was chilly but fishable. Richie and I headed to some shallow rocks to pitch small jigs and fatheads. The jigs we were using were KnuckleBall Jigs from FinTech. It was the first time I have tried these jigs and I am very impressed. I am so impressed with the jigs that I will have them in the shop this spring to do damage on some Brainerd area fish. Back to the tourney. We were pitching 1/16 oz jigs right up next to the rip rap shorelines and letting the current sweep the jig down behind the boat. We had to keep the rod tips high in order to avoid snagging up. The unique design of the KnuckleBalls really helped us to be able to pop free many times instead of breaking off and re-tying. Richie Boggs is one heck of a fisherman. I'd say we casted about 300 times each over the course of the day and boated nearly 30 fish. It was a great day considerring we were fishing in a nasty cold front and the fish were a little turned off. As we headed to weigh in I knew that we had a decent bag but I wasn't real sure where we would end up. We hit the scales with our 5 fish and it tallied 9.46 pounds. Good enough for 8th place out of about 110 teams. I was very pleased with our results. I learned a lot and would recommend it to anyone thinking about fishing one of these events. I can see why Richie Boggs is the top guide in the Brainerd area. He is one great fisherman, I'd fish with him any day. Chamberlain should be red hot in the next three weeks. There are a ton of fish out there and they are ready to bite, especially when the weather warms up. Happy Easter everyone.

Jason Erlandson

You lucky dog...Well done.

Exactly, what are the chances of drawing Richie?

I would love to be paired with him, like you say; he is one of the best.

I have known Richie for years, and I can imagine some of the laughs you two had that day. Not only can he fish, but he can have a good time too.

I never realized that Sportland had a guide service of any sort...maybe you could tell me more.

Again congrats to you...

Mat Fleischhacker smirk.gif

Hi Matt, We had lots of laughs that day. If you see Richie just ask him about our netting skills out there at Chamberlain. We ended up boating all of our fish that day. But the first couple net jobs were ugly. Both Richie and I had to shake off the winter rust. After that it was smooth sailing.

A few years back I started booking some guide trips out of the shop mostly just for fun. We don't push it too hard and we haven't publicized it much just because we get so busy with our other businesses. If at some point we make a change with our businesses, than I will push it much harder and take it to the next level. Over the last few years we have had pretty steady growth, adding a few trips each year to the schedule. I've handpicked only what I believe are the best guides in the Brainerd area to work with us. Richie Boggs has been with us from the start. In recent years we've added Todd Andrist, Jeff Wohl, Nate Blasing, and Lenny Hodgson to our team. I wanted guides that strive for customer service. They do an awesome job that is first class all the way. When our guides are booked up I work closely with Dan Eigen's (Walleyedan) crew. It works out great, and we get to meet some very nice folks that love to fish. I am really looking forward to the upcoming season, the bookings are really coming in now. Should be a fun and busy year.

Jason Erlandson

Can't say that I know any of those other guys, except for Lenny...but that Nate Blasing sounds awful familiar.

I know Lenny is a heck of a guy as well.

You know Rob Rasinski?

He guided for Koeps back when they WERE.

Don't know if he still does and he might of went to S&W for awhile. He's about your age.

I went to school with him, and we fished like gangbusters in the summers.

3-4 times a week, as we both lived on Gull.

Bass and Walleye were not safe in those days...

You 2 get your bait tanks in yet?

The season is soon upon us.

Wonder if you might have some info/tips for me for the opener. I think I am going to be on Leech north slightly of walker bay.

Never been on the lake, but I hear it is good.

You have any favorites??

The bait tanks are in and they look awesome. We are painting them today and tomorrow than they will be flowing.

I went to school with Nate Blasing. His dad guides for Dan Eigen. Guiding runs in the Blasing family, Nate does a great job with our customers.

Rob only does a few guide trips each season with some of his old customers. He wanted to spend more time with his wife and family, guiding is a pretty big commitment. He still stops in at the shop quite a bit for bait.

I really don't have a lot of experience on Leech. I know that it used to be one of the best lakes for the opener in the state. It has been tough in recent years. Shiners are the ticket up there. Jigs, rigs, bobbers, its your call. Don't overlook the crappie bite up there during that time. Leech has some real slabs.

Jason Erlandson

The upgrades are now complete. It all looks pretty good. Now the tackle is going up. All the new stuff should be up in 4-5 days. Stop by and check everything out. Some fellas even dropped a boat boat in at the channel today. A sign of spring is anxious anglers. I love it! The late ice fisherman that have snuck out lately were hitting crappies real good. The open water season should start with a bang. The weather forecast looks decent for next week. We might get some melting.

Jason Erlandson