• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TWINS GAME CANCELLED?

HossFisher

I just heard on the news that the twins game in Chicago has been cancelled due to the cold weather and high winds. Too bad, i was looking forward for to watch the twins kick some Chicago butt tonight.

Ya know, every time it's pointed out how utterly stupid it is to plan an open-air stadium without a retractable roof, the daggers start flying... "What a wimp! Wear your Sorels! This is Minnesota!" or "We didn't need a roof on Metropolitan Stadium!" or "It costs too much! Why pay for a roof that we only need a few times a year?!" or "It ruins the aesthetics! It'll look like a cave!" Well, here we are, Game 4 is cancelled in the Windy City due to COLD! And without a roof for our opening series at home, recent weather meant that we could very well be sitting at 1-0 and looking for 3 make-up dates. (Hey, maybe that's the plan: "4 days of rain and Santana again.") Granted, I'm 3 hours north of the new site, but I'm looking out at 7 inches of snow from Tuesday that's not going away any time soon, and I'm just not looking forward to 3 years in the future and holding some hard-won tickets for some games on opening week that could very easily not be played. Fire away, but ya gotta agree with me that the present plan - without a retractable roof - is STUPID.

Maybe they could start the season with a nine game road trip to southern states or domed stadiums. smile.gif

It's all about TV money, that's why the games are scheduled at night. Best news is that Silva won't get a start.

You could put all the northern teams on the road for weeks at the beginning and end of the season. That has even out during the summer months when attendance is very high. The Braves and Marlins don't want all their home games during the slow attendance months. Bottom line is what Ron says, it's about the money.

Opening the season at home is an honor usually bestowed on the charter clubs. More often than not nowadays, that means first week of April night games in cold northern cities like New York, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Cleveland, Philly... This year saw a little hiccup in that idea. Notice that the BoSox started the year in KC. And what did they say about the O's looking a little lost in MN?... first season opener on the road in 30 years or so? When was the last time you remember the season opening at the Dome? No, the answer is not allowing FL and CA teams to enjoy the special feeling of opening the season at home year after year. It's building stadia suited for the inevitable conditions that April and October bring. Polad needs to reach a little deeper under the couch cushions for another $70 million to make it happen.

Unfortunatly i think Silva will just start tomorrow, Santana on Sunday and use Ponson for the first game of the yankees series monday. If it was my choice i would use Santana the first game of the yankees for two reasons. 1) The Twins need a good start against the yanks. 2) Santana will get to pitch in the warm dome and not in the cold weather with an increased chance of getting hurt. Thats just what i think!

Read today that Silva will start today, santana tomorrow, and Ponson, Boof, Ortiz against the Yankee's.

Quote:

Unfortunatly i think Silva will just start tomorrow, Santana on Sunday and use Ponson for the first game of the yankees series monday. If it was my choice i would use Santana the first game of the yankees for two reasons. 1) The Twins need a good start against the yanks. 2) Santana will get to pitch in the warm dome and not in the cold weather with an increased chance of getting hurt. Thats just what i think!

confused.gif You gonna send Cy-tana out there just once a week?!?!? Oh sure, it's unfortunate that he's not going to pitch in the NYY series, but beating the PaleHose is just as important, maybe moreso. (Johan would actually be pitching this afternoon's affair if he hadn't asked for the extra day of rest. I can imagine the folks at FOX are mad about that one: It was a no-brainer for them to assume that Santana would be pitching since it is the 6th day of the season for the Twins...)

Schweady,

Game two is due to start in about an hour and they are calling for SNOW! Ahhh, baseball in April. Pass me the dome.

Windy

Windy:

I can't believe that I am replying to one of your messages. (But then, it DOES look like he!! is freezing over this afternoon...)

Good for us all that the game is played, come snow or gale force winds off of the lake. I do love the game played in the open air... I spent a very enjoyable 3-game series outside at the Cell in a couple of years back watching the Twins sweep the WSux. I just think that the powers-that-be around here are going to regret not pushing funding for a retractable roof.

All right Schweady,

You....Me....and Rodney King.....

Can't we all just get along!

Am I that intimidating, why would you not respond to anything I say. Come on man, step up to the plate and get ya some! It's all good. You can take a punch as well as throw one, right? We are all just big ole goobers having some fun on the ole "puter" instead of in a sports bar.

Windy

smirk.gif Not so much 'intimidating' as 'predictable.' More time spent rolling one's eyes than ducking and covering. My comments had to do with outdoor baseball in Minnesota in April 2010. So don't hold your breath waiting for much more of an exchange. I enjoy the pure baseball fan side of things much more than any chest-pounding homer mentality. Like, I'm sure you're a Yankees fan for the next few days, just like I'm pulling for the A's to increase Contraras' 63.00 ERA tonight.

Alas poor Schweady, I hardly knew ye! How can somebody sporting that avatar have no sense of humor???

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

Windy

Hey schweady I wish we could find this guy and kick him in the $%#& he rides the band wagon and who nows what else he may &#$@

LOTW,

Awfully personal attack on our good buddy Windy....or are you two guys so close that he can tell you are joking by the completely immature post you wrote? I cannot.

Me neither Geno, I'm ah skeered. Mr. Lake Of The Woods might just come down from the Great North and put me in a bear hug or something. LOL

He must not have picked up on the tenor of our site yet Geno. We must teach the young "grasshopper" are you up for the task ole wise Geno???

Windy

Windy, everybody can make mistakes and I don't hold nothing against a fellow-poster so I'm with ya....but don't fool me twice!

Geno,

True Dat, my brotha from anotha motha!

Windy

Geez, virgin, put it on simmer, eh. Windy can say what he wants, folks can make their own judgements. Other than a little over-eagerness to be right and the tendency to display dusty jewelry, he's fine. Some therapy for you: whenever the WSox are being drubbed, switch over to WGN and listen to their homer announcers try to find something to say...YES!

Schweady,

That "dusty jewelry" has me rolling on the floor. Good one.

PS Windy, don't even bring up my Cubbies history/drought.

Geno,

I won't beat a dead horse, but Schweady, I have to use the same line I used on Fishy...Our trophy is shinier than yours, so nah nah nah nah, LOL

And guys, what say we all chip in $10 each to send LOTWS a dictionary or at least tell him how to activate spell check. This guys clock is wound just a little bit tight. I guess he has not had his gears lubricated for a while up there in Twinkieville!

Windy

Don't go there Fixer....

We got 3!

Windy

Quote:

Which Trophy, '87 or '92 ?

er, '91. and I'd assume that any residue crowing to finish up might still be the domain of the Cardinals fans for a bit. It's 2007. Turn the page.

Too bad about the loss tonight - Devil Rays... home game... Cy-tana... seemed like easy pickings, but I guess that's why they play the games. JoeJoe has an oh-fer night, and it sometimes feels like we're playing with only two guys in the OF.

Oh oh, did I just jump off of the Santana and/or Mauer "bandwagons"? smirk.gif

"Oh oh, did I just jump off of the Santana and/or Mauer "bandwagons"?"

How about that slug Morneau? Only one HR tonight, and the bases weren't loaded so the Twins lost. Maybe a little time at AAA would get these guys focused? smile.gif

Quote:

Geez, virgin, put it on simmer, eh. Windy can say what he wants, folks can make their own judgements.

Hmm sweady or what ever your name is say this slowly I your head and and figure out where you went wrong with it here this might make it easier for you "GEEZ VIRGIN,PUT IT ON SIMMER,eh. WINDY CAN SAY WHAT HE WANTS<FOLKS CAN MAKE THERE OWN JUDGEMENTS" say it real slow in you head and you will realize so can everyone else like me!!!