• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Please, don't throw your cigarettes in the lake

Hammer Handle

It really bugs me when smokers throw their cigarette bugs out of their car window, out of their boat, on the ground as they walk, etc. These do not decompose fast at all. Please, dispose of them properly. It is your right to smoke, but not your right to litter.

Each year I clean up our lakeshore from garbage...and there is a lot in the spring. The worst thing, cigarette butts. Hundreds of them. I know, not all from fisherman...but how many people do you see just toss the butts into the lake?

AAAAAAMEN!!!!! Can't agree with this any more... And we see it all the time! Thanx for reminder hammer handle!

That should include Plastics,cans,bottles,worm styrofoam,little plastic bags candy wrapers---------Why did you stop at butts??? I could make a list that wont quit! shocked.gif

I think butts are THE most acceptable forms of litter-- at least to those who smoke. I rarely see a pop can tossed out a car window, yet will see a half dozen butts tossed a day on my commute. These same people probably would not throw so much as a gum wrapper out. It's a mind-set that will be tough to break. I've seen people walk into a building and drop a butt when there is one of those containers right by the door. Amazing!

BTW, I did finally get my boat-mate to stop. More reasoning than nagging. Kinda tough when it's one of your best buds.

Good post! Needs to be said!

rascal

Yea why is it every time I go ice fishing or to the boat ramp I'm picking up somebodys garbage!!! Com'on people is it that hard to pick it up, put it in your truck & the next time you stop at the gas station, put it in the garbage when your waiting for your truck to fill up!!!! Does every lake & public hunting area have to look like a DUMP!! Great post hammer handle

I used to work for Trails and Waterways when I was in college. I was the one taking care of all the PA's. You wouldn't believe the things I've had to pick up. Everything from old dog houses to dirty diapers. I would mow each access about once or twice very two weeks and would pick up at least 2 5gal pails of peoples garbage at each stop. Some people would ask me why they don't have garbage cans at the access. It was tried and then instead of 2 5gal pails of garbage it would be a whole pickup load at the end of the day.

You know those "Adopt A Highway" signs? I've done that and, yeah, its the cig butts that really get ya. They last forever. Do you know that some places are trying to ban smoking OUTDOORS at places like parks, beaches, etc. If smokers dont want to have that happen, I'll say taking better care of the butts is primo important, it just give the antis more ammo. Of course, offenders are not even going to open this thread, so we are preaching to the choir here.

This is something that's annoyed the he^% out of me for years! There are so many smokers out there, and from what I've seen 99% of them throw there cig butts wherever is convenient for them. That being out there car window,and anywhere else outside because the things are so disgusting! Now add up all the cig butts and all the people that smoke for however many years this has been going on and it's got to be an enormous amount of butts. Make it a HEAVY fine if caught doing this, and see if that changes anything. Throw the gas tax on tobacco and alcohol, because a guy doesn't have to have them to get to work and back.

Throw the gas tax on Beer??????????? Throw the gas tax on your vehicle. The more expensive vehicle the higher the tax you pay. DOn't tax us poor beer drinkers. Tax the rich!!!!

I agree on the butt issue! I see them floating all over the lakes in the summer and on the ice in the winter. Every stop light has a drift of butts. If yo are going to smoke, at least keep you butts and properly dispose of them. I pick up a truck full of trash ever winter from local lakes. If I see people tossing trash, I will make a point of pointing out the error of their ways. At 6'4", 250, they may have it placed somewere uncomfotable by me! You are utilizing a natural resource, keep it like you find it!

There is a law in MN about throwing your butts out the window of a vehicle in MN. Not sure what the fine is of hand.

i used to ice fish with no electronics, and the pile of butts was always a dead give away that some one had spent some time. if i only found a couple of butts at a hole, i'd move on. all those butts on the ice gotta go somewhere after the thaw.

That always ticks me off when I see someone toss a butt out the window. Do they think the world is their big personal ashtray?? I always give a quick tap on the horn when I see that just to let them know someone saw that and doesn't appreciate it. I hope I don't become a victum of road rage, but there is no excuse for this.

I know it is illegal to toss butts out of the window in MN. I wish we could call and turn people in when we see them do it.

But, do MN State Troopers enforce this law?

I smoke and I wouldn't even consider tossing butts out the window or in the lake. If you throw a butt out the window around here you could start a major forest fire.

I really dislike smoking in general. Everyone of my friends smoke except one and we live together as well so im around it 24/7. Its soo habitual of them they dont even think to ask if they can smoke and they dont blink an eye about throwing cigs out the window or on the water. I dont say anythign cuz even though their the best friends a guy could ask for they can be a**holes in a hurry and they like to argue so it would only turn out to be a full blown argument way off topic by the time I shut up. Ill try saying something next time. I think part of the reason is that they see how our world is goign to hell from polutio[n and global warming and they think whats one cig gonna do?? Prob is its not just one its one million. mad.gif

Per the forum policy

KEEP POSTS FUN. Please DO NOT use the forums for complaints, issues or problems that can or should be resolved with the manufacturers customer service department or for service complaints. DO NOT use the forums for leverage on your issue or to grind an ax. Never consider ANY information posted as accurate information to base decisions on. That is the reason we do not allow posts that are negative toward any person or business. There are all kinds of motivations to post a negative post that is not accurate and can cause harm and benefit the poster in some way. Our forums would quickly move towards the negative side and we want the forums to be fun and positive for the most part. We reserve the right to edit or delete posts that tend to cause problems. If your post contributes towards steering a thread off topic or in a negative direction you may be put on hold until you agree to correct that behaviour in writing.

Is my post really that bad? I just wanted other opinions on this topic and make some people aware that they are hurting the environment.

There are posts about people complaining of no snow, slowing down for construction workers, equipment recalls, etc. Is mine any different?

Judging from the good feedback, I think (and hope) my post will help people be aware of this issue just a little more than before.

If it made one more per aware of their behaviors, or actions.... that would make it a great post

I think it's a great post also, as it's something that I've thought about for quite some time.

i think this post has done a nice job of not attacking smokers and focused on the littering aspect. way to keep it civil guys cool.gif

I agree with lookincalifornia,we arent attacking them,we are merely asking them to OBEY THE LAW. On the way home from school today(only 15 minutes) i saw 4 people throw cigarette buds out the window

Agreed, I applaud everyone for not attacking smokers. I am a recent former smoker (6 weeks today) and know this situation all to well. I would NEVER throw a butt into the lake, river or woods, but never thought twice about flicking it out the window as I drove to work. I don't know what the difference is (of course it doesn't make it right), but that seems to be the more acceptable form of litter. Just my thoughts.

butts are a paper product and will dispose.

Please don't attack smokers..........People who attack smokers are the first to throw stones.......Which we all knew what Jesus said about people throwing stones!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is not about slamming smokers, it is about slamming litterers. Cigarette butts are litter plain and simple. The fact is that a fair number of smokers just don't care where the butts end up. Some just don't see this as littering.

Please don't litter.

Only a small portion of the cigarette butt is paper. The filter does not break down.

We help with an Adopt a Highway cleanup a couple of times a year. It is amazing what gets tossed into the ditches. There are a ton of beer bottles and beer cans, pop cans, cigarette butts, fast food wrappers, and things you would never imagine people throw. Have a garbage bag or can in your car, and empty it in a gas station garbage, or take it home. It would be nice if we didn't have to have the twice a year garbage collections!

Big G- get a clue! Not bashing smokers... Just the ones who don't care about their surroundings. The small amount of paper in a "butt" may breakdown within a few days or weeks. But, how long does it take that synthetic foam filter to breakdown and not cause a health risk to birds and other animals? Come on folks... if you don't consider it littering, and don't think anything is wrong; then put them on your car and boat floor. I am sure they will look just as nice there as in our landscape. This isn't rocket science here... I know a few first graders that think it is a no brainer.

Quote:

if you don't consider it littering, and don't think anything is wrong; then put them on your car and boat floor.

Well said, I may have to quote you in the future if you don't mind!

Jesus?Wasn't there something about treating your body as a temple?Don't smokeup/litter the temple,simple,eh?Now lets fish!c63 grin.gif