• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Croix Opener

Matt C

Im headed out for my first time on the Croix for opener on the 28th. I am going with a few guys that have been out there before. Putting the boat in right north of Prescott but on the MN side is what I'm told.

Any tips ya'll can offer?

use the search feature on here and look at posts from years past. I fish the shallower areas and do well casting cranks and trolling cranks. If the bite is off for the cranks then I'll start working some of the deeper holes and current breaks with a jig and minnow. Some days they like fatheads, sometimes shiners or if you want to keep your hands warmer try jigging with plastics, tubes, ringworms and curly tail grubs and especially the shad type baits work well. I'm sure the guys you are with will point you in the right direction as well. Good luck!

Tunrevir~

If it's slow where you are fishing and if you can, try up by the Kinnickinnic area, don't be afraid of trying leeches either.

Opener can be real tricky you can either struggle or get on some fish. A lot of the mass fished, traditional spots I have watched over the years have people who "Just Sit There" not catching much. So, don't be afraid to try non-traditional opener spots!!

I took that next Monday off (as usual), so I can fish it 3 days in a row on Opener.

Good Luck!

Last year the opener was rainy but plenty of action, around 8 I got a call from my brother to see how it was going and I informed him of the action was hot, he got in his truck and drive 2 hours to get down there and around 11 he was in the boat pulling eyes, we boated over 60 for the day and left the river with a really nice box of tails, only to have the same experience the very next day. We caught most of the fish live bait riggen on a short snell, 2 foot, black hook ,glow bead, shinner, others caught on the trusty jig head pink,yellow. Most fish were holding tight to the bottom and staying on top of them and vertical were the key. I'm so ready for another year on the croix, last year I used over three hundred gallons of gas getting to know the river better and I plan on spending even more time on the croix this year, I've got alot of people from my church and others I've met, that want to go fishing and learn more about catching walleyes on the river! It's going to be a great season on the water! cool.gif

Thanks for the great info! Hopefully I can make the Croix

opener a yearly ritual, along with MN's opener. smile.gif