• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rip_Some_Lip

Heartworm pills...when to start?

Rip_Some_Lip

I took my Springer in for a heartworm check and vaccinations last week. The vet called me later in the morning and told me the results (negative) of the test. I asked him when to start her on the pills and he replied not to start her on them until May. I thought that I should start them in April because by May the misquitos are already thick. What are your guys thoughts on this. I know many people do it year round but this seems to be a waste of money to me but I may be wrong.

Powerstroke

year round for me.

cw642

I just started mine this past weekend. A lot of ticks on the dogs this past week. Should start your Frontline also in the first week of April. I always start mine at the begining of the month so its easy to remember, turn the page of the calendar then go out and treat the dogs.

gspman

Now

bigdog

As soon as you get a clear test, give the pill.

slotlimit

6 months out of the year, squito season.

huntmup

Year around for my Labs

CFRay

My vet has switched preference to a year round pill treatment. Then a blood test every other year. The cost of the generic pills, year round, and that test cycle is a bit less than a annual test and 8 months of Heartgard.

Preventative pills should only start after a negative test result.

Bryce

Not sure about other brands but Heartgard is not an immunization. It kills the heartworm at an early stage after it is injected but before it matures. That is why vets have you give it after skeeter season begins. That said, it is very hard to overdose on Heartgard. Giving it early, redosing if you think you forgot, and giving the bigger size pill if borderling on weight are all pretty cheap insurance policies for a very hard hitting disease. Science may have progressed but the two dogs I saw treated for it about ten years ago were never the same. One had very little energy and the other got his brain stirred up. At that time, the were using some pretty potent chemicals to kill the heartworm.

LABS4ME

One other reason to use the heartworm pill year-round is it helps control common internal parasites like round worm and hook worm... It does not kill tape worm, if your dog eats a lot of rabbit pellets and/or cat dung, it's best to get a tape worm pill into him once a year to make sure to keep them rid of them...

Good Luck!

Ken

germanshorthairs

Doing some research online, I came across a website that says you can use cattle and swine grade wormer that does the same thing as heartgard and at a greatly reduced cost(Ivomec) Anybody heard of this, or tried it?? They say it is what vets used prior to the animal pharmacys getting involved and charging more.

Thanks