• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to keep deer away from food plots?

MILLER TIME

I planted a 2.5 acre corn food plot last year and am planning to plant it again this spring but last year the deer just demolished the plot before the corn could really amount to anything. Is there anything that i could use to prevent the deer from eating the corn so that it can grow up. Any home remedies?

Get a depredation permit from the DNR and take em out. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Sorry, honestly, I dont have a clue. I have not had a problem with deer cleaning out my plots. I surely have plenty of foraging going on in the plots year round, but thats a part of the reason to have them, is to give them(and other wildlife) year round nutrition. Not just food for the hunting season. Maybe plant some alternative crops adjacent to the corn as well. Basically split up the plot and try combinations of things. Maybe a half acre of clover and 2 acres of corn. Its possible you could attract them to eat other stuff while the corn matures a little more.

There is a few products on the market that I have heard about for repelling deer, but it escapes me as to what they are called. Although, keeping deer out of 2.5 acres could be a very large/expensive task. I could be wrong on that.

I like your postscript about beer, I may have to steal that one and use it!!!!

Make sure you fertilize your corn well so it grows faster than the deer can eat it. They will only eat the green foliage at certain stages, like when they can eat the tender top when its about 2 foot tall. In my experience they won't eat the the green stalks once they hit 4 foot plus. If it was getting eaten later on it, especially when it was forming cobs, it may have been coons. You can handle them with traps, either live or leghold. Look for tracks. If you have a depredation problem, don't cheat and put in a couple of rows of sweet corn, that will draw all kinds of critters!!!

You could also consider an electic fence with a solar fencer but it would probably take two strands to keep deer out.

Good luck.

I have heard that plot saver works well, and i think you can get it at cabelas.

They are eating it when its only about 2-6 inches tall. really damages any hope for corn!! Has anyone tried a ribbon like plot saver but put there own remedies on it?

Here is a trick I learned from a little old lady gardener. Put up fence posts(wood lathe works well) and string mono fishline between the stakes at 2' and 3-4' and surround your food plot. The deer can't see the mono and when they bump into it it will spook them when it presses on their fur. I used it on my apple trees and it worked well and my neighbor used this to keep deer out of her garden and it worked well for her too. You may have to replace the line on occassion if they break through but usually the deer become conditioned after a couple weeks and they just avoid the area. This brings me to my next point, if you try to keep them out with repellants ect you make spook off the animals you want to be hunting at a later date. It is cheap and easy and I had good results with it. Hope this helps! Don't know if it would keep a bear out though.

Tunrevir~

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.