• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinning vs Baitcasting reels

Sandmannd

Hey guys. I've always used spinning reels. My Dad had baitcasting, but I always nested them. I've been thinking about giving them a try again. What are the advantages over the spinning reals. Kinda looking for pros and cons.

From What i have been told i to am just getting into using bait casters that you can be more accurate in placing where you want your lure to go.

The casting drag is better, and line twist is much less and you can get much more accurate casts. But it also just is a different type for different purposes. I usually use spinning for lindy-rigging, but after a trip last year when I was using my latest "good" casting rod and reel, I am now going start using it more for rigging. It worked so good to simply press the button when I felt a hit, worked even better than hanging the line of an open bail on my finger and dropping it.

Anyway, it is a better option for casting larger baits (cranks or spinnerbaits or jerk baits or most larger bass or pike baits). But I do have one setup that I can cast down to 1/8-1/4 oz with my caster, but that is a spendy one.

Once you practice a bit, you will rarely have birds nests, but they will still occur, even the pros get them so I never feel too bad when it happens wink.gif

Once you get comfortable with it, you will love it smile.gif

Good luck.

You have much more control over your lure with baitcasters. They handle heavy line much better (but spinning gear handles light line/lures better). More torque for fighting big fish. Another plus is the ability to use different casting styles depending on the cover or situation. Flippin, pitchin, roll casts etc.

I have been using a bait casting reel with the flipping switch feature for years for rigging and jigging walleyes. Love it! Much easier in my opinion then having to hang onto the line with your finger as with spinning reels.

Really works great when working reef edges and sharp breaks!

All you have to do to maintain contact with the bottom is, press the thumb bar and your jig or weight will drop to the bottom again.Release the thumb bar, and you are back in business!

The reel can also be easily adjusted to every size jig or rigging weight to easily avoid almost all birds nests.

I also prefer the left hand model reels. That way I do not have to keep switching hands after the hook set or to make casts.

Cliff

Each reel has its advatages and its disadvantages...

Spinning Reel

advantages

-Casts light lines very well

-less forearm fatigue(reel under rod)

-less weight

-easy to learn how to cast

disadvantages

-can twist line

-does not hold or cast heavy lines well

-if first loop does not go on well, can have loop overs.

Baitcasting

advantages

-holds and casts heavier lines well

-once good at it, more accurate casts

-different rods available

Disadvantages

-backlash!

-to get into a decent reel, more expensive

For me it mostly boils down to line test...4-8 lb, I'm always useing my spinning gear. 8-12, either way depending on the situation; anything heavier and it's almost all baitcasters, for the reasons stated above.

If you frequently fish baits over about 3/8 ounce, then baitcasting is a great option. You don't have the line twist and snarling hassles that come with spinning. The line tends to last longer. If you get a baitcaster with a thumb bar that releases the spoon (which you should), then casting is a one-handed operation. Really, it's just a better tool for fishing baits 3/8 ounce of more. This includes the typical Texas rigged bass fishing worm, and most plugs, and jigs that are appropriate for fish larger than panfish. They're good for trolling too. Baitcasters are good with monofilaments of over about 15 pounds if you need them, whereas spinning tackle has to be big to handle line that heavy. Baitcasters are really required for monofilament heavier than about 20 pounds.

If you already have the other tackle and equipment you need, then I recommend that you get a baitcaster. I personally like the Ambassadeur 4600 narrow spool reels because they are excellent quality at a lower price than the Japanese reels. Some prefer the "low profile" reels, though. I also recommend that you fish a stiffer rod with a baitcaster than with spinning. My favorite is one that handles baits up to 1 ounce. For river fishing and inshore saltwater I use a rod that goes up to 1.5 ounce baits.

What species are you fishing?

Bass? Crappies? Muskies? Trout? Walleyes?

That all makes a difference in what you use.

Panfish and trout- Spinning for a variety of reasons. I do this with a ultralight to light/medium power rod. SO, the spinning reel is the way to go because of the light lures and lighter line.

Bss, pike & muskies- All casting. I too rat nested my first baitcaster and took it back. A year later I bought a good one and some superbraid line and it has been good ever since. The superbraids will come out of a rat nest much easier than mono. A good reel you will be able to set the tension so your lure will come out at the speed you can handle. If that is too loose, rat nest time!

For these fish I am using a heavier set up- Medium-Heavy power and these reels are made for this type of fishing. The biggest spinning reels won't hold up to the constant pounding of cating bigger lures like baitcasters will.

Walleyes- When casting/jigging/lindy's I go with a spinning reel. The lures are light enough and the line diameter is smaller and lighter also. Trolling I go with a baitcaster with a line counter for precision control.

If you do try the baitcaster, have someone who you know is real good at using them give you some pointers and help you on your first few days on the water.

Good luck!

What type of baitcasting reel do you like to use most (for those of you that use them)?

Any advice?

Dittos on the Shimanos.

I mostly vertical jig with a 3/8 oz. jigs & 2/10 Power Pro or 8 mono on the Rainy & LOW. The wife & I are 2 of the very few folks I see on the river with baitcasters but I can't imagine ever going back to spinning. I can instantly respond to a drop off, shelf, or hit & have the guts to handle a 6' sturgeon if needed.

Not sure why everyone else thinks light lines don't work on baitcasters as I have 2/10 Power Pro on my baitcaster for 1/4 oz spinners for smallies. Can't remember the last nest I had.

The only place I use spinning reels is ice fishing & would convert them in a flash if economical. Get really tired of line loops & bails flipping open on the hook set.

I mainly go after Walleye and crappie, but I like to hit bass and pike as well. Would it be wise to put more of my budget to a real nice spinning setup and get a less expensive bait cast to give it a try. I don't have a huge budget for new rods this year.

You would never use a bobber on a baitcaster. Well I've never seen anyone do that.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

Sandman- That is a decision that you will have to make yourself. If you go less expensive on the baitcaster I can be almost sure that you will not like it. The less expensive baitcasters do not cast as well and do not have as good an anti backlash controll.

Spinning reels work fine for walleye and crappie and fine for bass as well...but as stated earlier, they just dont cast the heavier pound tests as well.

Sand- its your call dude. No matter what it sounds like your going to get a new rod! AND THAT IS FUN NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Joe's had the St. Croix Triumph rods marked down to $50 so I picked up a 7' casting rod. They also had a Daiwa reel on sale for $50 so I got that as well. Had them string it up with braided line. I put a plug on it and was casting and nested it quite a bit. Looks like it will take some getting used to. Is there anywhere to go for some classes how to use these things? My wife picked me up a second Triumph rod for spinning. I know they aren't the high end, but going from an ugly stick to these look like it is a big change in sensitivity so far.

Shane, The best thing to do is practice, I still get nests once in a while. One thing I have noticed with my baitcaster and it's not an expensive one by any means is lure weight. If it is a light lure, I seem to get more backlash, but I have mainly used mine for my trolling set up unless I am casting for pike

Sandmannd,

The main key when learning to cast a baitcaster is to keep your thumb in contact with the spool. It doesn't have to me hard tension, just tension so you are always "in touch" with it. And of course a heavier lure. Spinnerbaits are fun in the wind when the blades act up on you......yuck. All I can say is practice!