• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Float Tubes

mojoputter

Thinking of buying a couple of float tubes for my 13 year son and myself, anything I should be specifically looking for that anyone would suggest. I've been looking at the Fish Cat 4 deluxe that Cabela's has. Any idea's from someone who have used float tubes would help.

Look for units that allow you to sit as high in the water as possible-very important. How many inflation compartments? What is bladder material and how thick is it?Quality is important here; look carefully at seams and other parts of the assembly. Buy good quality swim fins if that is the type tube. And, most importantly, , buy and WEAR one of the quick-inflate PFD's, such as SOS. If you want to know the REAL meaning of terror be tied up in a float tube in the middlle of the lake when it suddenly collapses! Tubes and floats are a blast and you and your son are going to have a ton of fun! I envy you. Just take your time buying gear.

I have a Hobie and love it. I also have TWO boats, VERY nice boats, and you'd be surprised how often I go for the Hobie!! wink.gif

Ufatz, I see your in Ottertail county, my family has been going to Shady grove resort on Rush lake for several years. I'm looking forward to getting the tubes out on a few of those lakes up there that have limited access, I think there is a few rivers there that I might try to find. Thanks for the info.

I have a cadis and have used it for about the last 8 years and I love the thing. Do not go cheap and like stated before find something that sits you up high in the water. A tip that I picked up, is use a pfd cushion to sit on, it gives you a bit of extra lift and also a safety precaution in case something does happen.

I have a fishcat and really like it! I think for the money you can't go wrong.

I gave my float tube away after using it a few times. I didn't like getting blown around in the water by every tiny breeze. A canoe was a vast improvement. Hopefully you'll be fishing very protected ponds and other areas that have no wind or current.

MoJo....an additional thought, since you mention streams. Be VERY careful about using a round or U-shaped inflatable tube on moving water. Personally, the rule I used to have was I would NOT sell a person a float tube if they indicated they were going to use it in a stream or river. Maybe on the slow reaches of the Ottertail. Have fun. crazy.gif

Hmmm thats interesting. I use my float tube in pretty windy conditions with no problem. they key is kick with your back to the wind and you can usually stay pretty much in one place while fishing.If it is very very windy I don't want to want to fish in anything short of a 16 foot lund... wink.gif

I agree, if you are planning to fish moving water mostly, go with a kayak or canoe...

I tried to like the float tube, even using the kicking with the back to the wind trick. It's simply too much trouble compared to using a boat.

That is suprising to me, I only have one good leg, and I have no problems tubing, mabye it was the kind of tube you tried or the size lake you were on? Oh well, boats are nice to fish from too, so have fun and don't catch em all! cool.gif

I have been out on some pretty windy days and have had no problems, actually you can do a nice controlled drift if you know what you are doing. I use mine is the upper stretches of the Miss and have had a blast with it. It helps when you are with another person. I also have a canoe and it also is fun, it is all personal choice.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.