• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 4 idea

Wallydog

Hey guys, I just found out that I was on team 4. I didn't know I was part of this so sorry for the lack of communication. I'll be in Zone 19 in WI next week, May 9-13 trying to help our team out. The long range forecast looks wet, so we'll have to see what happens! The good news is the arrows are flying deadly and I put a hurting on the Rhinehart 3d turkey target this last week! grin.gif

Brian

BMC,

Best of luck in WI. I'm outta here today at 2 for a 5 hour drive to the same 1500 acres where old 5 beards came from a few weeks ago! Maybe there will be a second bird for me this year. I'll have my 24 yr old daughters boyfriend in tow however............I suppose he'll get the first shot. We saw 7 other longbeards in this area last time in only 4 hours of hunting. I suspect most hens will be incubating or even marching around with broods by now. I'm ready to leave right now!

WD

Should I ever have a daughter, hunting with the boyfriend will be a priority. That way he'll know I can use a gun knife. smile.gif

Joel

Amen to that Joel. I always tell my 14 year old that when she starts dating, before the date I have to interview the young man while wearing my work uniform, before they go anywhere.b She always says, "Yeah right" and my reply in a serious look is, "Try me." grin.gif

Good Luck Wallydog and congrats on the first bird. How many birds do we have down now? Wallydog's, Surface Tension's,any other's? Where are we sitting at?

I'm starting to pack stuff up today. Our local sportsman's club has a youth day tomorrow and I take care of the archery part, so I've gotta bring most of my stuff up there for show and tell. I can't wait till Tuesday, when I'm Hudson, WI bound!!!

Brian

I downed a Rio in NE. 20lb. 14oz. 9 in. beard and 1 in. spurs. Just got home from the road and work tomorrow so will try and post by sunday. I am not to sure how to post pictures so some help would be much appreciated. Go team 4.

Atta' boy Jordan, another bird on the ground for Team 4 aka Limbhangers! If you want, email me your pics and I can get them posted here for ya'. Did you get the form filled out too with measurements, ect?

My addy is bmc2680 at yahoo (Contact Us Please) com.

Brian

I will email you my pics thanks a lot. Yes I have the form comlpeted.

Attaway Rodngun,

I whacked another this morning as well....fact is we hammered a double. Mine a nice 2 yr old, my daughters boyfriend a nice 3 yr old and left one to be much, much more cautious. 3 longbeards came in 1 left. Pictures Monday when I get to work. It's absolutely mandatory to have a predisposed videographer and not try shoot and video both. This morning would have been so, so good.

I'm done shooting in Idaho. May get a chance to call nuther for a bud.

Prefishing tomorrow for next Saturday's tourney!!!!

Cheers,

WD

I think I'll pour another Crown and ice now.

I missed a good one this morning boys. confused.gif Mis-judged the yardage and my arrow took 3 feathers off his belly. 3 more days to go, so hopefully I'll get another chance. How ya' doing up by Grantsburn Dietz?

Brian

I was huting with Joel Nelson... Put some MAJOR hours in thew woods.. in the woods by 5:30.. out by about 2 for lunch and a quick nap.. back in the woods at 6... Joel Got a nice Gobbler on Friday evening.. I drew the blank!.. RATS!!! Still had a blast however!

What do you do. Hopefully our 3 birds will be good enough. Good huntin and fishing Wally.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats on the bird RunNGun. Deizt I read Joel's post on your great hunt.

Well guys, sorry I couldn't put a bird on the ground for us. This was my first try at turkey hunting on my own and with a bow. I hunted them about 7 years ago in Iowa w/ shotgun. I learned alot on this trip, had action just about everyday, and made contacts with 5 places to hunt next year. I missed a nice tom on the 2nd day, taking feathers off his breast, and missed him again 2x on the 4th day. The final morning I had a hen fly right over top of me and scare the living crap outta me, a couple more hens running around, and a nice gobbler, perhaps the same one I missed coming my way, only to turn into the woods instead of following the field edge to me. I called in a hen and also called in the tom both times that I missed. A very good learning experience and I'm already pumped for next spring!!! Here's a pic of the gate where the misses happened. This pic will be burned into my brain till I get revenge next spring! LOL

thegateme9.jpg

Brian

BMC:

Kudos to you for sticking with it after some tough misses. It's simply part of bow-hunting for turkeys. You did the right thing by shaking it off and had a good hunt because of it.

Awesome fence-opening funnel by the way, these are the things that bowhunters need to "trap" turkeys within range.

Congratulations on a great hunt, and having the guts to take on these birds with a bow. It will make your first bird with a bow that much more rewarding.

Joel

Thanks Joel.

The only bad thing about this gate opening is to the left the ground runs downhill, so it's hard to see a turkey till he's in the gate. If I get drawn next year, I think I may trim a little brush of the fenceline, so it's easier to see, with landowner permission of course. The fenceline was 4 strands and hen's had no trouble climbing through in different spots. From my blind to the gate post is 25 yds, it would be nice if it was about 10 yds closer. I left the shoot through screen up on my blind, but have heard other's say you don't have to do that. Those guys just wear all black to hide in the blind. I think the big black window opening would scare the birds, any thoughts?

Brian

Quote:

I think the big black window opening would scare the birds, any thoughts?

It depends on your blind and how "strong" or intense the black color of the background is. In my Double Bull, I usually leave the window open for turkeys. It's just that much easier to see/shoot, kind of a mental thing. If I'm wearing solid black, they never see me. Even at 7 yards last year when some clients drew on a pile of jakes.

If you are shooting the type of head that goes through mesh netting, you might want to think about keeping it down so you don't freak out the deer so badly. Deer will most likely see the blind anyway unless brushed in, or out in the center of a field (then they'll see it, but won't mind as much), but they really get goofy when they see the black "hole".

Turkeys are somewhat dumb to the blind. They see far better than us or deer, are typically much more paranoid, and are not curious in that they simply won't tolerate oddities or things being out of place. For whatever reason, I haven't ever had them react adversely to the blind itself.

Joel

bmc,

As you can see in some of my pics I too hunt extensively out of a blind (and have for almost 20 years). I think Joel is likely right that you could hunt with windows open. However, I choose to keep mine closed ALWAYS. It does several things, it hides any motion, paricularily faces, hands etc. I've had many,many encounters with birds just a few feet from the "silo", they never, ever are in the slightest alarmed. In fact like Joel says they seem fairly stupid about it. Keeping windows closed also allows you to move for viewing, or positioning for the shot more better! In a perfect world you'd have a partner in the blind that can open a window when you at full draw and all the shooter needs to do is align pins and let fly the arrow. I have set the blind up with no appreciable cover and had success. But with any sun at all it gets darn HOT. Shade is you friend and I typically think about the angle of the sun and it's path when establishing a blind location.

Knowlegde is power and hopely the more opinions you here the greater the chances for you success.

One more thing, be extremely cautious about bumping the fabric of any blind when there is NO wind, or you'll look like the only thing moving in the turkey woods!

WD

Thanks ST. And Congrats to you as well. There is always next year bmc. Next is clay pigeons, grouse and ducks oh my.

Quote:

One more thing, be extremely cautious about bumping the fabric of any blind when there is NO wind, or you'll look like the only thing moving in the turkey woods!

Done that! You're right, while they seem to be "blind-dumb", they pick out movement of any sort, which includes the blind itself.

Also keep in mind that just because you're inside the blind, the slightest sounds at close range spook them also. In fact, I think that not being able to see what's causing the sound might spook them even more.

Either way, get out there and use the thing. Personal experience trumps all, and it will be individual to your hunting equipment, style, and location. Good luck!

Joel